Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #61
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think Scott and Cumberland are really slow on rotations. Scott seems to watch the ball too much and doesn't anticipate. Cumberland is often lazy getting out on shooters. There's probably a lot of reasons though.

I give Cumberland a lot of slack here as the entire offense is him running back and forth along the baseline for 40 minutes.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #62
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Huh? Not sure I'm following, but I never said anything like that whatsoever. Our defense under Cronin has year in and out been top notch. It's really weird though that we've seen such a massive spike in attempts vs us. The cause could be a ton of different things. Who better to get an answer from than by asking the coaching staff?
Responding to this part
Someone would really have to dig into the game film to try and get a good answer.

Not being critical of your statements at all...just being a little sarcastic & snarky about the coaching staff's inability to get the players to do what they want
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #63
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I give Cumberland a lot of slack here as the entire offense is him running back and forth along the baseline for 40 minutes.
Agreed. Cumberland gets a pass with turnovers and defensive lapses.

Tre, however, does not. He should be the best defensive player on the team. 6'8, long, athletic. Him getting 1 rebound yesterday is simple unacceptable. That's beyond bad. Benching worthy.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #64
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Agreed. Cumberland gets a pass with turnovers and defensive lapses.

Tre, however, does not. He should be the best defensive player on the team. 6'8, long, athletic. Him getting 1 rebound yesterday is simple unacceptable. That's beyond bad. Benching worthy.
Agree.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #65
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Been looking for NCAA records in assist to turnover ratio but can't seem to find anything reliable. I assume Jenifer meets the minimum requirements. It seems like you need to average 3 per game...currently he is at 4.4.

I saw where it states Monte Morris broke his own record his SR year with 5.21 to 1. Looks like Frankamp was at 5.8 to 1 last year (not sure if he qualified on quantity). Currently Jenifer sits at 8.8 to 1 so he's got a good cushion. That would be some achievement!

Assuming the real record is 5.21 to 1 (in 2017) he could potentially smash the record if he can keep the average above 3 per game.
I think before conference Jenifer got up to around 9 to 1 but now is back to 7 to 1. He was at 4.4 assists per game and now at 3.8. He has to be at 3 per game to qualify for the record I think but he is trending down in a hurry. I don't think the Cumberland show is helping his cause...and conference has been a real bitch so far.

So far Jenifer is 6 assists to 5 turnovers in conference. OOC he was 58 to 6. Uh oh
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 AM   #66
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think before conference Jenifer got up to around 9 to 1 but now is back to 7 to 1. He was at 4.4 assists per game and now at 3.8. He has to be at 3 per game to qualify for the record I think but he is trending down in a hurry. I don't think the Cumberland show is helping his cause...and conference has been a real bitch so far.

So far Jenifer is 6 assists to 5 turnovers in conference. OOC he was 58 to 6. Uh oh
Meanwhile Cane is at 13 to 5 in conference. Not starting a controversy here but Jenifer needs to get back to being who he was OOC. At least a similar version. I would be happy at 3 to 1 for him
Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #67
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Meanwhile Cane is at 13 to 5 in conference. Not starting a controversy here but Jenifer needs to get back to being who he was OOC. At least a similar version. I would be happy at 3 to 1 for him

Interesting stats in the interesting stats thread.

In conference play

Jenifer - 50
Broome - 44

Assists

Jenifer - 11
Broome - 16

who saw that coming.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #68
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I believe three of those five turnovers have been charges, including both last night. His assists have dropped off the face of the earth. He went two straight games without one. Both games he was battling the flu, but honestly while it affected his minutes, he didnt really seem any different on the court. The offense simply has been putrid the last few games as far as ball movement and players getting open. We're still scoring points thankfully. Most of that I attribute to these AAC refs and also familiar opponents. I think conference teams have learned how to play us whereas non conference teams are half really crappy and also probably dont really know what to expect when playing us. But outside of the Tulane game, these past four games have been very physical. Fortunately the refs are calling fouls this year as mind numbing as it can seem at times. Justin definitely needs to get on track. We need him to play like he has much of the year. But our players as a whole are too soft to deal with physical play. Thus why we've been out rebounded the last two games. Jenifer needs to get back to dribbling into the paint and dishing. Otherwise the defense is just setting in against us and forcing jump shots or us to get Jarron to try and draw a foul. And honestly the way these refs are calling games that might me my gameplan from here out. Dribble in on these guys and draw fouls.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #69
waterhead
Senior Moderator

So far in conference we have had the easiest schedule according to Bartorvik. We are ranked 5th in adjo and 10th in adjd. We have the hardest schedule remaining.

Those aren't good numbers (based on the sos) and that is not a good trend to start conference with. Part of that is just hot shooting by the competition but part of that is on us. I really hope we get it together quickly on D. Something has to change there. We have the ability but do we have the mentality? The breakdowns have to stop. The over helping, missed assignments etc.

On offense I think we need to give Cumberland some breaks and use more of a team approach more often.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #70
MylesFoxMorrisey

MylesFoxMorrisey is on a distinguished road
One thing Ive been interested with this year has been our team FT shooting. Generally, we always seem to be a poor free throw shooting team but this year that is not the case. We are currently at 72.1% which as far as I can tell would be the best under Cronin and best as a program since the 05-06 team (74.7%)

Currently, Jarron (80.2%), Justin (79.4%) and Cane (78.7%) are putting up strong numbers, but the biggest thing has been FT shooting of our big guys, Tre (72.2%) and Nysier (66.2%) having solid years from the line. I believe in the South Florida game we were 29 of 32 from the line! Cant ever remember a UC team doing that.

Last edited by MylesFoxMorrisey; 01-20-2019 at 03:43 PM.
MylesFoxMorrisey is offline   Reply With Quote