Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #31
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree...not much we can take from the scrimmage. Especially on D. I am sure the objective was to have fun and not get hurt.

But some of the main issues we all had before the scrimmage will likely still be issues that we have to find a way to hide. Mainly we need another shooter to step up and one of the 7 footers will have to be at least an average play for us if we are going to use them for a significant portion of any game.

If Harvey were a soph I would think we could play a lot of small ball...but he will have his growing pains I am sure. I think McNeal and Jaevin are the two players likely to be the most ready to play at this level after Jarron, SCott and Williams. We should probably use that lineup any time we can if we aren't getting abused inside or on the boards.

much better spacing. 2 pure shooters. 2 slashers plus scott. i dont think we need more shooters. if we get the spacing right we're gonna have a tough offense.

its gonna be much easier on our guys that can drive when we don't have 2 guys on each block the entire game.

penetrate, force rotations, pass pass open 3. the stuff good offenses did to us.

on defense i think we'll be worse defending 2 point shots, but i think we'll have a better plan vs 3 point shooters. defense might be better than we think.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #32
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
much better spacing. 2 pure shooters. 2 slashers plus scott. i dont think we need more shooters. if we get the spacing right we're gonna have a tough offense.

its gonna be much easier on our guys that can drive when we don't have 2 guys on each block the entire game.

penetrate, force rotations, pass pass open 3. the stuff good offenses did to us.

on defense i think we'll be worse defending 2 point shots, but i think we'll have a better plan vs 3 point shooters. defense might be better than we think.
Some very good points here. One thing I might take a slight exception with is having shooters. Obviously the Cumberlands can shoot. But with the emphasis CJB will have on pace and sprinting up and down they can't play as long as we would like (40 minutes haha). When one is off the court we need someone who can make a reliable 3 ball or at least be serviceable to keep those lanes open. I agree with not having two guys on the blocks opening things up as well and I don't expect much if any of that.

I watched the Brannen presser. He continues to talk about pace and getting used to sprinting to spots in half court and getting up and down the court. It's clear it is a major point of emphasis and maybe THE point of emphasis. He talked about McNeal seemingly in very high regard. He works out 3 times a day and he's always first in sprints etc. Got a good head on his shoulders as well...and said he's tough. Sounds like McNeal is not only ready but a perfect PG for brannen unless or until he wants to play some positionless BB and maybe move a wing over to point.

The similarities with McNeal and what Saunders will bring in terms of speed seems to be a high priority for coach. So it sounds like he's got his right man for now and the future as well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #33
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I still have to see it to believe it from McNeal. His historical stats don't really look good. A low-percentage/high volume three point shooter and a not that impressive assist/TO ratio. All against weaker competition than he will face here. To me, he is very similar to Sorolla/Vogt, guys who I don't expect much from, but hope to be surprised.

I'd say Jarron, Scott and Williams are our obvious top three guys. After than, I'd guess that Jaevin and Diarra are going to be our two next best players.

Besides those five, I'd say the other guys are all unproven for one reason or another (though you could argue Jaevin and Diarra are also unproven). I'm hoping 2 or 3 of them are good enough to provide quality minutes. I'd say McNeal, Moore, Harvey and Sorolla are the most likely to be able to do that, but they need to prove it on the court.

Last edited by skyblade; 10-16-2019 at 12:44 PM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #34
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I feel really good about 1-4 on this team and that includes the bench depth as well.

But the 5 spot is...really concerning. I mean imagine Sorolla or Vogt matching up against Caleb Wesson, James Wiseman, Tyrique Jones, and others.

I just don't think Vogt or Sorolla are ready for the kinda competition they will be facing. I wish Brooks had stayed, because he not only starts but he also helps develop Vogt/Sorolla and get them used to AAC level physicality.

I do trust Tre Scott to play his ass off and I could see him having a Gary Clark like Impact on this team. I really like McNeal, he just seems like a workhorse.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #35
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I feel really good about 1-4 on this team and that includes the bench depth as well.

But the 5 spot is...really concerning. I mean imagine Sorolla or Vogt matching up against Caleb Wesson, James Wiseman, Tyrique Jones, and others.

I just don't think Vogt or Sorolla are ready for the kinda competition they will be facing. I wish Brooks had stayed, because he not only starts but he also helps develop Vogt/Sorolla and get them used to AAC level physicality.

I do trust Tre Scott to play his ass off and I could see him having a Gary Clark like Impact on this team. I really like McNeal, he just seems like a workhorse.

when we play the good bigs lets go the houston route of playing defense. grab and hold all game cause they can't call them all. use up the 10 fouls and wear out the other teams big!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #36
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
when we play the good bigs lets go the houston route of playing defense. grab and hold all game cause they can't call them all. use up the 10 fouls and wear out the other teams big!
Im actually fine with that approach to be honest.

But, Houston Bigs were tough as nails and were really good rebounders. The Tape I've watched of Vogt and Sorolla, didn't exactly show those qualities.

that said, Im hoping we just make more shots on the first attempt and don't have to rely on offensive rebounding nearly as much. But there will be games I think we lose because of rebounding.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #37
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:

But, Houston Bigs were tough as nails and were really good rebounders. The Tape I've watched of Vogt and Sorolla, didn't exactly show those qualities.

that said, Im hoping we just make more shots on the first attempt and don't have to rely on offensive rebounding nearly as much. But there will be games I think we lose because of rebounding.

we might not get as many offensive rebounds, but defensively we were terrible at preventing offensive boards, most likely due to how our defense worked.

i see some potential improvements in some areas and some backsliding in others. hopefully it all comes out as a net positive.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #38
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I still have to see it to believe it from McNeal. His historical stats don't really look good. A low-percentage/high volume three point shooter and a not that impressive assist/TO ratio. All against weaker competition than he will face here. To me, he is very similar to Sorolla/Vogt, guys who I don't expect much from, but hope to be surprised.

I'd say Jarron, Scott and Williams are our obvious top three guys. After than, I'd guess that Jaevin and Diarra are going to be our two next best players.

Besides those five, I'd say the other guys are all unproven for one reason or another (though you could argue Jaevin and Diarra are also unproven). I'm hoping 2 or 3 of them are good enough to provide quality minutes. I'd say McNeal, Moore, Harvey and Sorolla are the most likely to be able to do that, but they need to prove it on the court.
Some fair points on McNeal. I don't expect him to be a world beater but I think he will be serviceable for what we need at PG. If we can get him at 2 or 2.5 to 1 on assist to turnover and up his shooting to 33-35% from 3 that would be great for him. I don't think that would be unattainable for him but who knows. He won't need to be a primary scoring option.

His speed is going to fit right in for getting up the court for easy early looks. And he can break a defender down which means he can either get to the rack, open up shooters, or dish to the bigs when help comes. Sounds like he is strong as well so he can probably take the grind and physicality in the AAC. Don't think he will need much time to adjust.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #39
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:

just foul chris harris. He isnt making free throws
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #40
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
just foul chris harris. He isnt making free throws
I mean, If they Foul Chris Vogt, he aint making em either... I think he shot 38% from the line last season at NKU