Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #91
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
He is averaging 11.5 boards right now in limited minutes...
There is nobody else on our team within 6 boards of him on avg.

Last edited by waterhead; 11-12-2019 at 01:01 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #92
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Waterhead, read everything I wrote. I'm not asking for a superior defender. And I'm actually trying to dissuade everyone else from evaluating players according the Cronin system, including you (why are you bringing up other Cronin players?). There are no more "perimeter guys" and "inside guys". The new system requires quick decision making and precise passing on the perimeter by all players. Scott needs to learn how to do those things. I've already said we want players in the mold of Al Horford and Marc Gasol for the new system. Obviously college players will be worse than them, but players with their skillsets is what Brannen will be looking for. Consider that Sorolla is leading all regular players in assist rate.

Scott will find his place on this team. No one is suggesting to cut him. His rebounding numbers are good so far. Hopefully he can maintain that as he adjusts.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #93
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Tre Scott has the 22nd highest offensive rebound rate in the country through 2 games.

And he had some lapses last night but guard smaller players is tough. It’s why Steph curry loved getting switched onto a big.

But even then when you look at the facts.... as in the synergy possession by possession facts, he is grading out as an “Excellent” defender through 2 games.

I have no concerns with Tre Scott on defense long term. How many 6’4 guys will he guard in the AAC?

My biggest issue with Tre is his offensive approach. I never want the ball in his hands too long. He either needs to catch it and shoot it, catch it and immediately drive the ball or catch it and pass. He isn’t a smart play maker, he looks nervous with the ball in his hands for too long
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #94
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Lol

Who in the world would have thought that after 2 games, our 2 highest usage players would be Jarron Cumberland & Chris Vogt

Vogt has a higher usage rate then Keith or Jaevin
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #95
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Waterhead, read everything I wrote. I'm not asking for a superior defender. And I'm actually trying to dissuade everyone else from evaluating players according the Cronin system, including you (why are you bringing up other Cronin players?). There are no more "perimeter guys" and "inside guys". The new system requires quick decision making and precise passing on the perimeter by all players. Scott needs to learn how to do those things. I've already said we want players in the mold of Al Horford and Marc Gasol for the new system. Obviously college players will be worse than them, but players with their skillsets is what Brannen will be looking for. Consider that Sorolla is leading all regular players in assist rate.

Scott will find his place on this team. No one is suggesting to cut him. His rebounding numbers are good so far. Hopefully he can maintain that as he adjusts.
My post had to do with his defense which was the subject i was responding to. I think he’s a decent defender but maybe not elite like jj or rubles. My point was if you have an elite defender who can guard 5 positions and also score the ball they are likely going to a blue blood program. Take your pick between offense or D...we likely aren’t getting both from a big.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #96
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I think I've been clear that we'll be looking for bigs who at minimum are good passers on the perimeter. Not elite defenders who can also score (we'd take it though), not JJ, not Rubles. There are many types of basketball players, not just "good at offense" and "good at defense."
Old 11-13-2019, 05:38 AM   #97
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think I've been clear that we'll be looking for bigs who at minimum are good passers on the perimeter. Not elite defenders who can also score (we'd take it though), not JJ, not Rubles. There are many types of basketball players, not just "good at offense" and "good at defense."
JJ was far better than ur giving him credit for.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #98
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
To be fair. He only had 1 good year.

Hes kind of like Jenifer. It took them 3 years to figure out what they needed to do. Jenifer finally learned that he needs time and space to take his shots and to not force things. Jackson finally learned to not shoot the ball and make his layups. Jackson scored 90% of his points his senior year from within 3 feet of the basket

Last edited by itsamemario; 11-13-2019 at 07:04 AM.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #99
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post

he's just talking stylistically. he wants guys that can read the backdoor cut and actually make the pass. Sorolla is very good at this.

a big guy that can set screens, pass from the top of the key, and muscle his man under the hoop.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #100
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
he's just talking stylistically. he wants guys that can read the backdoor cut and actually make the pass. Sorolla is very good at this.

a big guy that can set screens, pass from the top of the key, and muscle his man under the hoop.
Yes.

Everyone, I'm trying NOT to talk about ex-Cronin players. Waterhead brought up JJ and Rubles. I'm saying we need to move on from those kind of comparisons. We are playing a completely new style now. This conversation started because I said Scott needs work adjusting to the new style. That's really the whole argument. I'm not comparing him to older players or claiming that he should be benched.

I have always thought Scott is a bad perimeter defender, but even when I mentioned that last year my point was to stop switching him on screens, not to bench him. We're talking about college basketball players. They all have holes in their game. Pointing out flaws does not mean I think they suck or we have to replace them with a blue blood recruit or a great player from Bearcats history.