Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 5+ 19 61.29%
UC wins by 1-4 6 19.35%
UCLA wins by 1-4 0 0%
UCLA wins by 5+ 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #361
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
you are right, that is when mick made the switch. but they were pressing before that happened and cane never once had an issue with it. hard to fault cane for evans' mistake
Agreed. Broome is superior to Jennifer in just about every way possible. If this team is going to make a run, it's going to be with Broome at PG. Jennifer isn't a terrible backup but he is basically there to protect the ball (which Mick loves). He airballed a wide open 8 footer and hit the top of the backboard on a wide open 3. Remember when he airballed a FT last year? He just doesn't make big shots in big games. I do give credit for his FT's last night. That said, Broome should have been in there to take FT's.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #362
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
Yes, Cane has more turnovers...in basically the same # of minutes, he has 23 to JJ's 6 (though half of those came in 2 games early on in blowouts, but still) HOWEVER....
He also has 3 more assists, 33 more points, 11 more steals & 10 more boards. his TOs gave the opposition 17 more possessions than JJ - but he acquired 21 more possessions with the extra steals & boards..not to mention an extra 33 points...& 3 more assists
On balance, I want more everything else & am willing to put up with the TO's -
Cane is still new to this team...hadn't played a real game for more than a year and a half. I have to think that he's going to get better and better as the year goes on.
I agree with almost all of that. I was specifically talking about milking the clock situation like last night. That is when ball security is a must.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #363
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree with almost all of that. I was specifically talking about milking the clock situation like last night. That is when ball security is a must.
yesterdays game was 99.1% win probability with 5 minutes to go.

there will be games that are tight down the stretch when we need cane in because we need offense as well, and some of those teams will trap and press.

i would like cane to get experience for those situations because we'll need him to do well in them in the future.

thats how i view things.

constantly build towards march and get the top 5 guys as much experience with different looks as possible. also wouldn't be opposed to the jenifer/broome combo to close games for ball security plus an option to get to the rim after the shot clock is running down. plus it would put the best 5 ft shooters out there together.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #364
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

there will be games that are tight down the stretch when we need cane in because we need offense as well, and some of those teams will trap and press.

i would like cane to get experience for those situations because we'll need him to do well in them in the future.

thats how i view things.

constantly build towards march and get the top 5 guys as much experience with different looks as possible. also wouldn't be opposed to the jenifer/broome combo to close games for ball security plus an option to get to the rim after the shot clock is running down. plus it would put the best 5 ft shooters out there together.
Okay...I can agree with that. I still think Jenifer is going to be one of our 5 best on the court when milking a clock.

I gave my reasons why I don't like Jenifer as much as Cane during the rest of the game. The biggest thing is we got off to a slow start and UCLA had some early success because JJ was being exposed on D. A taller PG can shoot right over him and he was blown past a couple of times early on. Besides offense Cane has more jumping ability and a longer reach and he can't do much worse staying in front of his man than JJ the first 5 minutes last night. He can get steals more often and rebound better to boot.

Please don't confuse my points about milking a clock with the rest of the game because I agree with most everyone else on that. Jenifer is our best ball control option and I don't think that means we can't have Cane on the floor at the same time when milking a clock. Cane is the superior player for most other situations other than running point when milking a clock. He can play on the wing those situations though...which means Cronin is making decisions between CB and JC at that point.

Last edited by waterhead; 12-17-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #365
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i dont know, that 2014 guyn season he played 50% of the minutes at pg while shooting 33% from the floor, 53 % from the ft line and having a turnover rate 2 times higher than his assist rate.

im sure the board probably looked a lot like this back then. caupain and guyn splitting minutes evenly while caupain out performed him in every stat there was on both ends of the court.

and it never changed throughout the season and we flamed out 1st round in sk's sr season. that still hurts.
How do other teams handle this issue of veteran player with a better lower classmen? ( Outside of UK). I mean I know it is a delicate situation, and leads to transfers and may affect recruiting. Mick gas started younger players over seniors, but there certainly are some glaring examples of the times he doesn't. It sure keeps the message boards alive lol.

Eggz and others take grad transfers. I never want to be a factory, and run people out. Ever. But what's the issue with best player playing?
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #366
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Re- watching the game and I have to say Keith Williams is going to be a player if he finds a outside stroke.
Yah...I was making this point earlier in the season and it hasn't gotten much better if at all. I have seen Williams take 3 pointers that are less open than our better shooters. He's not making them. He should only shoot when wide open from 3 and be trying to penetrate or make off ball cuts through the lane the rest of the time IMO. NO shame in that.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #367
BearcatsNE

BearcatsNE is on a distinguished road
Cronin doesn’t let any of his PG just play out of control. So ball control and milking the clock wouldn’t be a problem for Cane or Justin. Every possession is ran by Cronin first. But thanks for making my flight enjoyable.
BearcatsNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #368
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
How do other teams handle this issue of veteran player with a better lower classmen? ( Outside of UK). I mean I know it is a delicate situation, and leads to transfers and may affect recruiting. Mick gas started younger players over seniors, but there certainly are some glaring examples of the times he doesn't. It sure keeps the message boards alive lol.

Eggz and others take grad transfers. I never want to be a factory, and run people out. Ever. But what's the issue with best player playing?
Cane and jj are in the same class now
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #369
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

thats how i view things.

Cronin can get Jenifer plenty of minutes in the following ways if he wants to. Spelling Broome for breathers at PG during the first 35 minutes of the game. Moving Broome over when Cumberland or Evans is out. Milking clocks when we have a lead at the end of games. He can get 15-20 minutes this way even if Cane gets 30. I think Cane has to play...so if JJ is getting 15-20 minutes it should come at the expense of our frosh wings rather than Broome.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #370
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post

im not sure but if i had to take a guess most other teams allow the better player to play, especially when he's playing well.

the cobb/KJ situation was another. mick stuck with shaq over evans for a long time too (i think it took a shaq injury to open the door fully). its just what he does.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote