Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 09-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #691
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
When is the Red / Black game this year? Has that been released yet?
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #692
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMac View Post
When is the Red / Black game this year? Has that been released yet?
Details still being ironed out. I'm assured there will be one though...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:33 PM   #693
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
Thanks Chad
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:58 PM   #694
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Obviously there is a lot of excitement about the scoring ability of the starting 5 this year. However, practice is now upon us and I am excited to see who is going to shine on the bench. I am not expecting a lot of scoring from the bench so it's going to come down to who listens and does all the little things right.

Guys like Scott, Jenifer, and Brooks have a leg up because they already know what they need to do to get on the floor and Cronin will favor the veterans all else being equal. Hustle, rebound, defend, take care of the ball, set picks, assist, block shots, know where you are supposed to be on the court, and take what the D is giving you on offense.

If you can score 4-8 points in a game but grade out as excellent in the "little things" department...you can be just as valuable as some of the starters who can score 15 points. We need the scorers but scorers who take plays off, give up points on D, give up rebounds, or turn the ball over too much can be replaced by a player who scores less but plays smart and hard. There are minutes available and the bench players really have no choice but to understand this if they want to play. You will not get more minutes by telling the coach you need more minutes...that plan has likely failed every time.

Evans and Clark are players who will be tough to steal minutes from because they do most things at a high level on both sides of the ball. I just wish Gary did not get winded as easy...he could be a 35 minute guy like Evans rather than a 28 minute guy. I don't expect Cronin will need to pull either of them out of the game to set an example. However, I can imagine a scenario where Cronin uses the bench to keep his other starters playing smart, playing team ball, and giving max effort...especially early in the season.
One of the not so little things....turnovers - the guys who have to really improve in that department are: Brooks, Washington & Cumberland.
I figured how many minutes they played per turnover;
Washington: 16.77
Cumberland: 19.11
Brooks: 14.68

Next was Tre, at an acceptable 22.25
Far and away the best on the team was Jennifer, at 27.87, better than either Caupain (24.72) or KJ (25.42)

Clark (25.14) & Evans (25.86) were pretty solid

Brooks...young, Kyle? Trying to do too much by himself?? When you see Gary Clark at a ratio of assists to turnovers of 1.85 & Kyle at .58 ya gotta wonder
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #695
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
October 4th...
Thanks Chad
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #696
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
One of the not so little things....turnovers - the guys who have to really improve in that department are: Brooks, Washington & Cumberland.

Far and away the best on the team was Jennifer, at 27.87, better than either Caupain (24.72) or KJ (25.42)

Brooks...young, Kyle? Trying to do too much by himself?? When you see Gary Clark at a ratio of assists to turnovers of 1.85 & Kyle at .58 ya gotta wonder
I think we would all like to see a little more out of Washington in the ass/to ratio. If he would just pass out of double teams more often it would probably solve a big portion of that. Gary finds the open man when he gets doubled.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #697
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post

If you look at kenpoms TO rate stat, you’ll see that kyle’s isn’t bad at all. Instead of turnovers per minutes, it’s more based on the amount of possessions and probably incorporates usage rate.

Based on that, only brooks and quadruple had concerning TO rates. Every one else is either really good or acceptable.

Jacobs was the best on the team.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #698
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think we would all like to see a little more out of Washington in the ass/to ratio. If he would just pass out of double teams more often it would probably solve a big portion of that. Gary finds the open man when he gets doubled.
Washington just isn't a good passer. I'd like to see him closer to 20-23 minutes per game this year. He could still get his shots up.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #699
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
If you look at kenpoms TO rate stat, you’ll see that kyle’s isn’t bad at all. Instead of turnovers per minutes, it’s more based on the amount of possessions and probably incorporates usage rate.

Based on that, only brooks and quadruple had concerning TO rates. Every one else is either really good or acceptable.

Jacobs was the best on the team.
I don't think Brooks was concerning with TOs. He was a true FR C. It'd be weird if he wasn't among the worst rates.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #700
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Washington just isn't a good passer. I'd like to see him closer to 20-23 minutes per game this year. He could still get his shots up.
If we can get enough production in his absence I would not be opposed to it. Obviously we have other scorers so we may not need him as much. However, he was our highest point per minute guy and he's a decent rebounder when he focuses on it. He can make a 3 when open and he demands attention from opposing D's.

Obviously he has some issues on defense which can be improved upon by putting someone else in but not sure it offsets the point production. We have some depth this year so there will be options to throw out there to see who can get the job done. He does get into foul trouble so there will likely be plenty of opportunity.

I still feel like he will end up getting pretty big minutes in the close games (when not in foul trouble) and Cronin will probably continue to insert him on offense and take him out on D during the final minutes of close games. I still wouldn't mind seeing him in the 28 mpg range...but that is just my preference now without seeing some of the new guys play. Brooks was solid but I'm not sure he is ready for a huge role. I could see him at a Deberry type level giving us 15 mpg though....that would be a significant role.