Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 5+ 19 61.29%
UC wins by 1-4 6 19.35%
UCLA wins by 1-4 0 0%
UCLA wins by 5+ 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #381
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Maybe I'm incorrect here, I'll have to rewatch but I thought jj came in to handle the ball at the end of the game after evans threw a pass out of bounds in broomes direction. Im not knocking cane cause i think he is the better player but cronin wanted a true ball handler to handle the pressure and evans wasnt coming out.

Evans and broome are basically two guards and if you look at the half court offense cronin runs, the pg gives the ball up 90% of the time at the top of the key... they aren't really running the offense through the pg. But when it comes to handling the press at the end of the game jj's skills were needed.
Exactly right

But everyone is right in saying for this team to be good in March, Cane has to be the one running the offense. Mick simply doesn't trust him. I've been killed for being the messenger, but it's clear as day Mick doesn't trust Cane to run the offense Mick wants to run. I'll agree as much that Cane has some room to improve as far as passing and decision making, but it's real bothersome he trusts Evans at point more than Broome in the half court. And Cane has more than shown his offense is needed on the floor. Is Broome really that lost in how to run things? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in practice one day.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #382
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
obviously this is the hope everybody has.

but it is not how mick has treated these situations in the past. the lesser player continued to get at least 20 minutes.
And since Mick had had such success in March he must be right. If he blows the handling of the PG position this year, it should be reflected in his job security. He needs to get his head out of his .... and get Broome way more minutes than JJ. JJ should be a 10 minutes a game player at most
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #383
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I agree. Sad thing is the reason Cane came out wasn't to get the ball out of his hands it was to get it out of Evans hands....... seriously. If you noticed, when Broome was in there Evans was more your de facto point guard. He brought the ball up some, but Cane did mostly, but when it got into the half court cane dumped it at the top of the key to Evans every time and went to the wing. I simply just don't understand it. I know I've taken the side of why Jenifer starts to some heavy flack here, but if Cane's in there he needs to be your pg, not Evans. I love Evans, but he made several really bad passes yesterday that led to turnovers. He's simply not a pg. Mick really doesn't trust Cane running point but he needs to get him to the point where he does plain and simple. Now I'm not completely against the idea of bringing in the "sure handed" (in Micks eyes) ball handler to close out a lead, but I don't understand running Evans at point when Cane is in there. And when Cumberland missed both free throws after also missing the front end of the one and one, you have to get him out of there. At that point all logic points to you're going to get fouled everytime. He should've put Cane back in or at least Moore.
Very nice analysis. He couldn't really take JEIII out at that point of the game.

Maybe Mick is doing the right thing by giving JEIII PG minutes, bc if he gains some experience, he may be a nice option in certain spots.

I wonder if he left JC in to not kill his confidence. We are gonna need him to knock down 2 big ones in a row somewhere down the road. Maybe like Eric Martin did against UTEP in the S16 on the way to the FF. 😁

Last edited by ZCat; 12-17-2017 at 09:52 PM.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #384
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exactly right

But everyone is right in saying for this team to be good in March, Cane has to be the one running the offense. Mick simply doesn't trust him. I've been killed for being the messenger, but it's clear as day Mick doesn't trust Cane to run the offense Mick wants to run. I'll agree as much that Cane has some room to improve as far as passing and decision making, but it's real bothersome he trusts Evans at point more than Broome in the half court. And Cane has more than shown his offense is needed on the floor. Is Broome really that lost in how to run things? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in practice one day.
Mick has never produced a good offense so what exactly is he so adamant needs to be his way? He destroys our players for making one small mistake but when does he hold himself accountable after 15 years of ineptitude on the offensive side?
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #385
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
Very nice analysis. He couldn't really take JEIII out at that point of the game.

Maybe Mick is doing the right thing by giving JEIII PG minutes, bc if he gains some experience, he may be a nice option in certain spots.

I wonder if he left JC in to not kill his confidence. We are gonna need him to knock down 2 big ones in a row somewhere down the road. Maybe like Eric Martin did against UTEP in the S16 on the way to the FF. 😁
Maybe sounds harsh but if a guy is 0-5 on FT in a big game, I don't give a damn about his confidence. He shouldn't be on the floor.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:18 AM   #386
Btown Bearcat

Btown Bearcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I don't think that being a one and done school dictates or should dictate taking grad transfers, plenty of schools do, Xavier does and just got another one.

Mick has stated that he does not like to have someone just come in and take minutes over a player that has put in 3 years in the program. It is about getting talent. I doubt it would impact recruiting. UC is in the AAC, I would take the most talented people you can get. The transfer X just got is something that UC needs next year, someone that can score in the paint, doesn't matter if they are a JUCO, transfer or grad transfer.

I was simply commenting the fact that Mick has stated he is against grad transfers and UC will probably not get one in the foreseeable future.
i dont know about all that even tho he has said that we have been in on a few grade transfers
Old 12-18-2017, 05:27 AM   #387
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Re- watching the game and I have to say Keith Williams is going to be a player if he finds a outside stroke.
If you subtract his stats, UC is shooting 40% as a team from 3
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #388
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exactly right

Cane has reduced his turnovers but that could be in large part due to Cronin using him off the ball more and letting other guys help with setting up the offense (Evans and Jenifer). I agree this is not a good development but I guess we have a work around.

Cane does just fine if he takes the ball from the top of the key or from the wing and tries to create on his own. The style he isn't as good at is the one where we try to work the ball to the bigs from the wings for an inside out game. This is the pass around the perimeter style.

What happens when we have a clear advantage in the paint with Gary and Kyle? We have to run the perimeter passing inside out game at least a decent portion of the game. It's not going to help as much (in those games) if we let Cane run wild and just dish off a couple of passes to the bigs when the defense crashes on him. Evans and Cumberland are the best at getting the ball to the bigs from the wing. Jenifer is fine standing out on the top of the key facilitating that type of action. Cane likes to run and he looks SOOO good on the move...but not as good standing and passing.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #389
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
If you subtract his stats, UC is shooting 40% as a team from 3
Yah...I think we still have to let Williams shoot the absolutely wide open looks but thats about it at this point. He is so much better driving and cutting the lane.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #390
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Cane has reduced his turnovers but that could be in large part due to Cronin using him off the ball more and letting other guys help with setting up the offense (Evans and Jenifer). I agree this is not a good development but I guess we have a work around.

Cane does just fine if he takes the ball from the top of the key or from the wing and tries to create on his own. The style he isn't as good at is the one where we try to work the ball to the bigs from the wings for an inside out game. This is the pass around the perimeter style.

What happens when we have a clear advantage in the paint with Gary and Kyle? We have to run the perimeter passing inside out game at least a decent portion of the game. It's not going to help as much (in those games) if we let Cane run wild and just dish off a couple of passes to the bigs when the defense crashes on him. Evans and Cumberland are the best at getting the ball to the bigs from the wing. Jenifer is fine standing out on the top of the key facilitating that type of action. Cane likes to run and he looks SOOO good on the move...but not as good standing and passing.
I guess we could try a lot more pick and roll action when we want to incorporate the bigs when we have the advantage down low and Cane is in the game. We have to come up with some plays to keep Cane in the game.