Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #221
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
There certainly is a balance. As for the first SMU game I'll bet if you asked Cobb or Mick They would tell you they wish they had a early in the shot clock three that Cobb took at the 3 minute mark up 7 back.

The fact is we are not talented enough to just out score teams. We are not fast or athletic. Look at our guards. I could careless about all the, this was Micks best team. We have not had a best team. We make the tourney, win 20 and play hard. With the upgrade in facilities and hopefully a new P-5 league Mick will be able to attract some better recruits. People are under the misconception that he doesn't have guidelines to adhere to such as graduation rate and such. He also has played second fiddle to the football program. You think he wouldn't love to coach one of Calipari's rosters? He recruits the guys he can land and try's to develop a style he can win with until he is able to land better players. He has had some hits and misses. When I weigh the risk of what a new coach would look like recruiting to our league in our facility against what he has done with what he has to work with, I'll stick with Mick for the time being. At least until I see if we land in a new conference with better facilities. We are consistently in the tourney and a 20 win program. Is that enough,no but I do not see anyone out there who can get us to that level in todays CBB landscape that would want to come here let alone stay when a better offer came along. As the networks get greedier it will also be tougher. Mick has done a great job with what he has to work with. Take a look at DePaul a once great program. The people who failed this fan base are the administration who butchered the Huggins termination, completely misread the conference realignment smoke signals and landed us on the outside looking in of all the major conferences. Now after the train has left the station they are proactive. We have a Coach who after all that has maintained a certain amount of respectability and winning under a very difficult circumstances. Does he get them all right,hell no. Brown left a guy in with 2 fouls in first half with seconds left to pick up a third while already playing with a short bench and he is a HOF. Mick may never win a national Championship here at UC. In My mind he has earned the opportunity to keep his job at least until the playing field has been adjusted with some improvements in facilities and conference affiliation is sorted out.
I'm not saying we can't question his strategies or recruiting. That's what fans do. They are emotional and Passionate. That's what makes the games exciting. But all things considered in todays CBB we have a very good coach. Those who think we don't write the BOT but I caution you be careful what you wish for.
Waite, I agree with most of your points and want to clarify one thing about my post, in no way shape or form am I saying they should get rid of Mick. What he's done for this program in the situation he was given as well as the current circumstances is no less than remarkable. My complaint is about the complacency at the end of games when they are up on the other team.

I agree the Cobb shot they'd take back, but run the offense, try and get an easy lay up or open jumper inside if you get it take it, if not isolate late in the shot clock and take what you get. But don't just stand there and wait til there's only 10 seconds on the shot clock. Just silly and shows no confidence in your team whatsoever. Also totally kills the flow of the game when you're going well.

Chad, I'm curious is this a conscious decision to do this at the end of games or what's the deal, any insight?
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #222
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
Waite, I agree with most of your points and want to clarify one thing about my post, in no way shape or form am I saying they should get rid of Mick. What he's done for this program in the situation he was given as well as the current circumstances is no less than remarkable. My complaint is about the complacency at the end of games when they are up on the other team.

I agree the Cobb shot they'd take back, but run the offense, try and get an easy lay up or open jumper inside if you get it take it, if not isolate late in the shot clock and take what you get. But don't just stand there and wait til there's only 10 seconds on the shot clock. Just silly and shows no confidence in your team whatsoever. Also totally kills the flow of the game when you're going well.

Chad, I'm curious is this a conscious decision to do this at the end of games or what's the deal, any insight?
Ryno99, didn't get that at all from your post. I was just making a general comment. I would like to see us a bit more aggression in some situations as well. Fine line though, as clear as it may be to us sitting here it amazes me the amount of bad shots and bad decisions made from players that have played all their life.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #223
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post

I'm with you Ryno. We shut down the offense and desperately pray for the game to end with so much time left. It isn't a coincidence that we go through massive scoring droughts and allow teams to come back. We tend to play down the stretch like we have zero interest in scoring.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #224
rallie25

rallie25 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
There certainly is a balance. As for the first SMU game I'll bet if you asked Cobb or Mick They would tell you they wish they had a early in the shot clock three that Cobb took at the 3 minute mark up 7 back.

The fact is we are not talented enough to just out score teams. We are not fast or athletic. Look at our guards. I could careless about all the, this was Micks best team. We have not had a best team. We make the tourney, win 20 and play hard. With the upgrade in facilities and hopefully a new P-5 league Mick will be able to attract some better recruits. People are under the misconception that he doesn't have guidelines to adhere to such as graduation rate and such. He also has played second fiddle to the football program. You think he wouldn't love to coach one of Calipari's rosters? He recruits the guys he can land and try's to develop a style he can win with until he is able to land better players. He has had some hits and misses. When I weigh the risk of what a new coach would look like recruiting to our league in our facility against what he has done with what he has to work with, I'll stick with Mick for the time being. At least until I see if we land in a new conference with better facilities. We are consistently in the tourney and a 20 win program. Is that enough,no but I do not see anyone out there who can get us to that level in todays CBB landscape that would want to come here let alone stay when a better offer came along. As the networks get greedier it will also be tougher. Mick has done a great job with what he has to work with. Take a look at DePaul a once great program. The people who failed this fan base are the administration who butchered the Huggins termination, completely misread the conference realignment smoke signals and landed us on the outside looking in of all the major conferences. Now after the train has left the station they are proactive. We have a Coach who after all that has maintained a certain amount of respectability and winning under a very difficult circumstances. Does he get them all right,hell no. Brown left a guy in with 2 fouls in first half with seconds left to pick up a third while already playing with a short bench and he is a HOF. Mick may never win a national Championship here at UC. In My mind he has earned the opportunity to keep his job at least until the playing field has been adjusted with some improvements in facilities and conference affiliation is sorted out.
I'm not saying we can't question his strategies or recruiting. That's what fans do. They are emotional and Passionate. That's what makes the games exciting. But all things considered in todays CBB we have a very good coach. Those who think we don't write the BOT but I caution you be careful what you wish for.
Thanks for making sense!
rallie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #225
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallie25 View Post
Thanks for making sense!
no problem
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote