Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #131
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Honest question, were you old enough to actually remember those Huggins teams? I’m genuinely curious. I am. Those teams were awesome. They were regularly in the top 10. Yes they lost in the tourney.but if we are comparing eras, it’s not even close. I know it was a different time.
I agree it went downhill at the end. I think the Kenyon thing broke him. Kinda like I think the Nevada game hurt mick. After both of those things, I think both just wanted a change. It’s so hard at a school like Cincinnati to get teams like those. It has to hurt.

I’m 35, 36 in July.. I became a Bearcats fan watching Huggins teams with my dad. My dad taped the final foul and we watched all the time
The lady who cleaned their apartments lived above us and I thought it was so cool when she brought me a sticky note signed by lazelle durden.

Then I got to know some of the players and Huggins in the later years. My first job was BB riverboats/benson catering. We ran dinner at the Ucats club and fed the team before every game.

Huggins was like a gangster. Always cussing and yelling at people on the phone.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:50 PM   #132
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Not going to go too deep into this.
But here is Huggs last 9 years at UC:
97: 3 seed lost in 2nd round 6 seed
98: 2 seed lost n 2nd round to 10 seed
99: 3 seed lost in 2nd round to 6 seed
00: 2 seed lost in 2nd round to 7 seed
01: 5 Seed, Made sweet 16
02: 1 seed, lost in 2nd round to 8 seed
03: 8 seed, lost in 1st round to 9 seed
04: 4 seed, lost in 2nd round to 5 seed
05: 7 seed, lost in 2nd round to 2 seed

1 Time exceeding expectations in 9 years
1 time meeting expectations in 9 years
7 times failing to meet expectations in 9 years
6 times was a top 4 seed and didn't even make the 2nd weekend.

Defend it please.

Because the other defense of this.. is that he earned some capital with what he did in the first part of his career.

He was a joke in the tourney. A bigger Joke than even Mick was in his last 9 years.
Also, as you post these numbers, this is why fans are ok with trying something different. Between mick and Huggins, we’ve been to what 18 tournaments and have 2 sweet 16s to show for it. I would guess that’s one of the worst runs of any teams ever in the tournament. Not saying it’s guaranteed to work but you have to understand the frustration of that.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #133
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Also, as you post these numbers, this is why fans are ok with trying something different. Between mick and Huggins, we’ve been to what 18 tournaments and have 2 sweet 16s to show for it. I would guess that’s one of the worst runs of any teams ever in the tournament. Not saying it’s guaranteed to work but you have to understand the frustration of that.

I get the frustration.

And if Brannen is the guy who delivers in that area then he gets my support. But I’m well past the point of wanting mick back and also I’m not at the fire Brannen stage.

Im squarely in the critique a coach the way I critiqued mick. I mean, people seem to forget that I voiced very vocal complaints about the team across town seemingly always able to land top tier talent and us always turning over rocks looking for hidden gems. Mick’s recruiting always bothered me. Not that he couldn’t land talent: it’s that I believe that the key to a successful tourney run is a stacked recruiting class every 2 to 3 years. Mick just wanted one major contributor in every class and the rest role players.

I always bitched about the 300+ games on the schedule too.

Like people act like I was a mick Cronin ball sack licker when he was here. I wasn’t. I called out the program when I thought I needed to.

And 1 year of Brannen ball, I do have concerns. Not fire able concerns just concerns. I don’t just hand over the reigns to a program I care so much about and not have reservations.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:09 PM   #134
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I get the frustration.

And if Brannen is the guy who delivers in that area then he gets my support. But I’m well past the point of wanting mick back and also I’m not at the fire Brannen stage.

Im squarely in the critique a coach the way I critiqued mick. I mean, people seem to forget that I voiced very vocal complaints about the team across town seemingly always able to land top tier talent and us always turning over rocks looking for hidden gems. Mick’s recruiting always bothered me. Not that he couldn’t land talent: it’s that I believe that the key to a successful tourney run is a stacked recruiting class every 2 to 3 years. Mick just wanted one major contributor in every class and the rest role players.

Like people act like I was a mick Cronin ball sack licker when he was here. I wasn’t. I called out the program when I thought I needed to.

And 1 year of Brannen ball, I do have concerns. Not fire able concerns just concerns. I don’t just hand over the reigns to a program I care so much about and not have reservations.
All coaches have problems. Hope he can get a couple dudes, makes a run at some point, and it starts snowballing in the right direction. Definitely issues, just too early to tell if it’s a talent issue, injury issue, coaching issue, system issue, or not getting the right players yet. Not enough data. Definitely things to keep an eye on.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #135
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Is there a preference between facing UCF vs USF in the quarters?

UCF
-Better shooting team
-Better frontcourt players (Smith & Ingram)
-Deeper bench
-Has already beaten us once

USF
-Better defensive team
-Better guards (Collins & Rideau)
-Top 6 players are more talented than UCF's top 6
-Won @Temple and @Memphis this season
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #136
bearcat1518

bearcat1518 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I get the frustration.

<redacted>

Last edited by sedziobs; 03-11-2020 at 11:12 PM. Reason: inappropriate
bearcat1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #137
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1518 View Post
<redacted>
Salty.. but wrinkled
Old 03-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #138
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
No fans for the AAC tournament.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #139
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
good for us. everybody roots against us even if we aren't playing their team.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #140
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Jarron seems to feed off the crowd whether it's home or hostile.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote