Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #141
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Harvey earned his way onto the court the way most freshmen do, by playing defense and bringing energy. He still needs to cut down on the fouls a bit, but he looked much better than he has previously.

With Jarron taking over as PG, MAW struggling on defense lately, Jaevin struggling on defense and McNeal being an offensive non-factor, there is space open for Harvey to step into. Let's hope Harvey can keep it up, I love the big/athletic lineups.

The Jarron/Harvey/Williams/Scott/Diarra lineup that led the comeback is all players 6'5" or taller and tons of athleticism. Lacking in offense a bit, but with Jarron taking over lately it seems to have enough.
You really think MAW has been struggling on defense? Didn’t he just completely shut down the guard from smu? He also guarded Jarreau a lot last night and held his own. Did you mean offense?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #142
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
You really think MAW has been struggling on defense? Didn’t he just completely shut down the guard from smu? He also guarded Jarreau a lot last night and held his own. Did you mean offense?
Oh yeah, I meant MAW has been struggling on offense, though I don't think he did that well against Jarreau last night either. But he completely shut down SMU's leading scorer last game.

MAW has struggled on offense pretty much since we started conference play. He owns the third worst ORTG on the team in conference play (85.1, in front of only Davenport and McNeal). With Jarron playing PG there is definitely room to have Harvey in and MAW/McNeal/Jaevin on the bench.

With Diarra really coming into his own (despite a few recent poor games), our rotation at the 4/5 has solidified (though I still think Diarra should be getting all of Sorolla's minutes at the 5). But McNeal, MAW and Jaevin haven't been consistent. Harvey is a good passer and has good court vision (wouldn't be surprised if he is our PG one day), if he can continue to not make mistakes and play excellent defense (and rebound) there are minutes available for him to take.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #143
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Last night was fun.

I went from furious to screaming my lungs out in a good way.

I was in the upper corner and the arena was shaking. Crowd helped rattle Houston

Houston was just playing iso ball and we stepped up and defended it in the 2nd half.

Mills is a killer and to hold him to 3-19 was insanely great.

I spent most of my night last night laughing at the takes coming from Houston fans
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #144
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I really like how he just plays. Doesn't force shots cause he feels like it like you see a lot of freshman do, and even some of our upperclassmen.

He has worked hard and just played lock down D yesterday. He's a better athlete than Keith although he doesn't look as explosive because he's so smooth. Harvey can turn his hips and recover much quicker than Keith can.
If he plays D like that he can have all of McNeals minutes. Probably a few from MAW and Jaevin as well. Jaevin is still good for a heat check in any game. Harvey is turning up the juice at the right time. We need the extra talent on the floor
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #145
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If he plays D like that he can have all of McNeals minutes. Probably a few from MAW and Jaevin as well. Jaevin is still good for a heat check in any game. Harvey is turning up the juice at the right time. We need the extra talent on the floor
i like that we're versatile. if they're super athletic we can play a tall, long, athletic guard lineup. if they aren't jaevin can play and stretch the floor. if they're running a lot of pnr's we can sub diarra in who reads them so well and cuts off the drive before it even starts when they deny the screen (something xavier killed us with but we locked up yesterday).

gotta love the direction we're going. ive said it before, but its so nice watching a team consistently get better as the year goes.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #146
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
We struggle with teams that play good/great D on the perimeter and at the rim. We aren't a good 2 point jumper team. Vogt started to figure out how to use the rim to keep his shots from getting blocked. He and we need to remember that when we play Memphis again. Go up and under and use the back side to lay it in. Keith and Tre can use the same strategy when attacking the rim
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:35 AM   #147
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Here are team efficiencies by month. such a huge jump. wtf tulsa?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upswing.jpg (64.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #148
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Here are team efficiencies by month. such a huge jump. wtf tulsa?
Frank Haith is the AAC coach of the year.

He knows how to keep from being fired lol
Old 02-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #149
cincrulz11
Epic Member

last 10 games on barttorvik our defense is up to 7th best in the country with offense lagging behind at 83.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #150
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
last 10 games on barttorvik our defense is up to 7th best in the country with offense lagging behind at 83.
Vogt not getting exploited nearly as much helps a ton.

When he is around the rim, it helps him get 5 blocks. We make nothing easy at home