Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #11
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
What does that have to do with Cincinnati, who has the worst split in the country in terms of home and away offensive efficiency??
Maybe you should rename your thread.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:41 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Offensive Efficiency (unadjusted PPP):
Home- 1.198
Away- 0.956

eFG%:
Home- 58%
Away- 46%

3PT%:
Home- 38.4% (21.6 average # of attempts)
Away- 31.2% (21.3 average # of attempts)

2PT%:
Home- 58.2%
Away- 45.5%

Assist/TO Ratio:
Home- 2.220 (#1 in the country)--- 20.2 assists per game
Away- 0.891 --- 11.2 assists per game

For reference, our defensive efficiency is almost identical home and away:
Home- 0.890
Away- 0.881
The splits from last year may have been better...But we actually shot worse on the road. FG percentage this year is 40 percent and last year 39 percent. We didn't shoot near as well at home though last year so splits might be better.

The problem is our road Offense seems endemic to the coach or maybe a group of players. I didn't go back any further than last year.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 AM   #13
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The splits from last year may have been better...But we actually shot worse on the road. FG percentage this year is 40 percent and last year 39 percent. We didn't shoot near as well at home though last year so splits might be better.

The problem is our road Offense seems endemic to the coach or maybe a group of players. I didn't go back any further than last year.
I know people will blame the coach but I don't think he is changing the gameplan just because it's a road game. It does seem like that sometimes but I don't think thaTs the case. Either way it is weird that we are that bad on the road
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:45 AM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I have no idea how to explain it really. In terms of shooting % only...we haven't been this highly ranked #51 overall (or even close to it really) I mean we all know we have been a terrible shooting team under Cronin because we didn't recruit the basketball players only the athletes (until recently). So I looked back about 7 years for the home and road shooting % through SK's senior year with Jackson and back to Gates, Wright, Dixon as well. Cronin's 7 most productive years.

These numbers are from teamrankings.com

2017...rank #51 overall...51.2% home...40.2% road...(11.0 difference)
2016...rank #215 overall...46.5%...39.1%...(7.5)
2015...rank #92 overall...46.7%...42.3%...(4.5)
2014...rank #247 overall...44.1%...40.4%...(3.5)
2013...rank #296 overall...41.2%...39.2%...(2.0)
2012...rank #228 overall...42.4%...41.8%...(.5)
2011...rank #145 overall...44.3%...43.1%...(1.0)

Some interesting notes. The last three years have seen the biggest splits. It looks like an average team in NCAA would have a 3-4% differential home to road. In all 7 years the road % hovered between 43.1% ad 39.1% (4 point spread) and even our best year is an average year at best in NCAA on the road. Our worst years are absolutely horrible including last year our worst year and this year our third worst year. Home shooting % saw a 10 point spread from best to worst year from 41.2% to 51.2%. This year is our high mark by almost 5%...over the previous two years which were also higher than the rest by 2 %. Home shooting has gone way up and road shooting has held steady over the years for the most part.

What is really weird is that the ups and downs of home shooting haven't corresponded to road shooting at all really. Our best three years at home (which are the last 3) have seen 2 of the worst 3 years on the road. It makes no sense.

Last edited by waterhead; 02-22-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I have no idea how to explain it really. In terms of shooting % only...we haven't been this highly ranked #51 overall (or even close to it really) I mean we all know we have been a terrible shooting team under Cronin because we didn't recruit the basketball players only the athletes (until recently). So I looked back about 7 years for the home and road shooting % through SK's senior year with Jackson and back to Gates, Wright, Dixon as well. Cronin's 7 most productive years.

These numbers are from teamrankings.com

2017...rank #51 overall...51.2% home...40.2% road...(11.0 difference)
2016...rank #215 overall...46.5%...39.1%...(7.5)
2015...rank #92 overall...46.7%...42.3%...(4.5)
2014...rank #247 overall...44.1%...40.4%...(3.5)
2013...rank #296 overall...41.2%...39.2%...(2.0)
2012...rank #228 overall...42.4%...41.8%...(.5)
2011...rank #145 overall...44.3%...43.1%...(1.0)

Some interesting notes. The last three years have seen the biggest splits. It looks like an average team in NCAA would have a 3-4% differential home to road. In all 7 years the road % hovered between 43.1% ad 39.1% (4 point spread) and even our best year is an average year at best in NCAA on the road. Our worst years are absolutely horrible including last year our worst year and this year our third worst year. Home shooting % saw a 10 point spread from best to worst year from 41.2% to 51.2%. This year is our high mark by almost 5%...over the previous two years which were also higher than the rest. Home shooting has gone way up and road shooting has held steady over the years for the most part.

What is really weird is that the ups and downs of home shooting haven't corresponded to road shooting at all really. Our best three years at home (which are the last 3) have seen 2 of the worst 3 years on the road. It makes no sense.
We are top 12 in shooting % at home this year and close to bottom 50 on the road.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #16
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
PLEASE keep in mind - of all below 100 teams Cincy has played, 14 of 19 have been at home. Of top 100 teams, 2 of 8 games have been at home.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #17
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
We are top 12 in shooting % at home this year and close to bottom 50 on the road.
Perhaps Justinhub is right. This could be a psychological issue the coach is unknowingly creating...overselling how hard things are going to be on the road and to just concentrate on D and getting rebounds. Rather than just go out and play like you own the building kind of thing. After ISU game...he had his prime example to sell to the players...and I think I remember him doing just that.

The one constant, even with better shooters added in this year, is that we still aren't good at shooting on the road.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #18
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Perhaps Justinhub is right. This could be a psychological issue the coach is unknowingly creating...overselling how hard things are going to be on the road and to just concentrate on D and getting rebounds. Rather than just go out and play like you own the building kind of thing. After ISU game...he had his prime example to sell to the players...and I think I remember him doing just that.

The one constant, even with better shooters added in this year, is that we still aren't good at shooting on the road.
Yeah, who knows. I wish they would come out and take it to a decent team on the road but they never do. That's why I worry about uconn game a little bit
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #19
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Yeah, who knows. I wish they would come out and take it to a decent team on the road but they never do. That's why I worry about uconn game a little bit
Mick seems fixated on making road games grinders for whatever reason. Teams ordinarily do perform slightly worse on the road but Cincinnati's splits are dramatic. At home, they look like one of the best offensive teams in the country (and the numbers bear that out) but on the road they look awful. Something definitely needs to change.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Mick seems fixated on making road games grinders for whatever reason. Teams ordinarily do perform slightly worse on the road but Cincinnati's splits are dramatic. At home, they look like one of the best offensive teams in the country (and the numbers bear that out) but on the road they look awful. Something definitely needs to change.
We have played 5 teams twice this year. SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, Temple, USF

Temple home...81-74...away 56-50
Tulane home...92-56...away 78-61
Tulsa home...80-60...away 57-55
USF home...94-53...away 68-54
SMU home...66-64...away 51-60

Average score at home 82.6...away 62.0. It would seem to me we definitely change philosophy/psychology on the road.