Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2017, 06:11 AM   #1
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
SI Article

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...caa-tournament

Coaches (anonymously) dishing out truths about tourney teams...

Cincinnati

“The hardest thing about playing them is it’s a 40-minute fistfight. They don’t have that one major star, that guy you can’t stop. That could be an issue if they have to score in the halfcourt against really good teams. They don’t have a backup point guard, so if [Troy] Caupain goes down they become really vulnerable. The kid off the bench, Justin Jenifer, is a huge step back. Kyle Washington is by far their worst defender because he doesn’t have as much experience in their system. You want to get him in multiple pick-and-rolls.

Caupain is not having a great year shooting the ball. He’s not a break-you-down jitterbug so when you get them in the halfcourt, he becomes predictable. They send four to the glass most of the time, so you can get out in transition and go at Caupain, maybe make him pick up a cheap one. Washington takes a little time to wind up on his shot, but he’s making a good percentage. He loves that right box and then comes across. You have to force him to his right and hit him with a double team.”
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post

Cincinnati

“The hardest thing about playing them is it’s a 40-minute fistfight. They don’t have that one major star, that guy you can’t stop. That could be an issue if they have to score in the halfcourt against really good teams. They don’t have a backup point guard, so if [Troy] Caupain goes down they become really vulnerable. The kid off the bench, Justin Jenifer, is a huge step back. Kyle Washington is by far their worst defender because he doesn’t have as much experience in their system. You want to get him in multiple pick-and-rolls.

Caupain is not having a great year shooting the ball. He’s not a break-you-down jitterbug so when you get them in the halfcourt, he becomes predictable. They send four to the glass most of the time, so you can get out in transition and go at Caupain, maybe make him pick up a cheap one. Washington takes a little time to wind up on his shot, but he’s making a good percentage. He loves that right box and then comes across. You have to force him to his right and hit him with a double team.”
really can not disagree with his comments
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post

Cincinnati

Stone cold truths. Not sure I agree on a "huge step back" with jenifer but the rest is about as spot on as it gets.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Stone cold truths. Not sure I agree on a "huge step back" with jenifer but the rest is about as spot on as it gets.
The only thing I disagree with is the getting Caupain to pick up a cheap one in transition. We don't always send four to the glass. It just feels that way when Gary, Jacob and Kyle are motivated on the offensive end. KJ picks his spots pretty well. Frankly, we don't get caught in transition on defense very often. I also don't think Jenifer is as big a step back but he plays different than Troy. Despite Troy's shooting issues this year, his career suggests you have to at least respect him shooting the ball.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
The only thing I disagree with is the getting Caupain to pick up a cheap one in transition. We don't always send four to the glass. It just feels that way when Gary, Jacob and Kyle are motivated on the offensive end. KJ picks his spots pretty well. Frankly, we don't get caught in transition on defense very often. I also don't think Jenifer is as big a step back but he plays different than Troy. Despite Troy's shooting issues this year, his career suggests you have to at least respect him shooting the ball.
While I think JJ is more then a adequate back up if he plays major minutes I think he would be exposed.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
While I think JJ is more then a adequate back up if he plays major minutes I think he would be exposed.
He's not ready yet, that's for sure. This time last year I was not sure he would ever be ready. I don't have those concerns now. I expect him to continue to put the work in and improve. He won't have to log 30 minutes a night with Broome playing next year as well.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I can't necessarily disagree here but I do think he can play well for 10-15 minutes per game. He has demonstrated that very very well recently. I don't think anyone is asking for 30 minutes here but 5-7 per half when Troy is struggling is an idea I think many would like to experiment with.

If Troy is having a good game...I wouldn't need to see Jenifer much. I would always put Troy in at end of games (say last 5 minutes or so)...but trying to get a spark out of Jenifer in the middle of a game where Troy is struggling might not be a bad idea.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I can't necessarily disagree here but I do think he can play well for 10-15 minutes per game. He has demonstrated that very very well recently. I don't think anyone is asking for 30 minutes here but 5-7 per half when Troy is struggling is an idea I think many would like to experiment with.

If Troy is having a good game...I wouldn't need to see Jenifer much. I would always put Troy in at end of games (say last 5 minutes or so)...but trying to get a spark out of Jenifer in the middle of a game where Troy is struggling might not be a bad idea.
[I] think that is his ceiling and a very good role for him.