Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Bracketology

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

I saw this the other day and forgot to post it. Linardi released his first in season bracket a couple days ago. He has us as a 3 seed playing in Kansas City, then Arlington. Harvard and NC St would be a tough road to the Sweet 16 for a 3 seed; I'd love another shot at OSU though.

Dream scenario: Midwest bracket playing in Dayton and then Indianapolis...
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
I'm all for speculation but it's wayyyyy too early to predict who we'll play in the tourney. It isn't too hard to project our tourney seed at this very point (AP or coaches ranking multiplied by .25), but god knows who we'll play in the tourney.

Although I will add, I'd rather not get a shot at redemption facing O$U to be honest. If we win, it's just "now we're even." If we lose, it's "wow we SERIOUSLY own you guys now." I'm not afraid of their team, I would just like to avoid the temptation to punch many of their fans, which is already difficult.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Scheids21
Epic Member

Yeah opponents aren't really important in these potential brackets. It's near impossible to predict who each team will be playing. The seeding is more accurate though and I would disagree that its your ranking time .25. Hence, why we are a 3 and New Mexico is a 7.

Obviously its way too early; that goes without saying. Its still fun to look at.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
Yeah opponents aren't really important in these potential brackets. It's near impossible to predict who each team will be playing. The seeding is more accurate though and I would disagree that its your ranking time .25. Hence, why we are a 3 and New Mexico is a 7.

Obviously its way too early; that goes without saying. Its still fun to look at.
I agree that it's not completely accurate, it's really just something that can give you a general basis. And about New Mexico, that could just mean that Lunardi thinks they aren't as good as advertised, and will lose some games here soon.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Scheids21
Epic Member

Linardi drops us to a 6 seed in his latest bracket and falling. I said at the beginning of this year that this team should be at least a 6 seed heading into the tournament. I hope and think they will right the ship to do that.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
Linardi drops us to a 6 seed in his latest bracket and falling. I said at the beginning of this year that this team should be at least a 6 seed heading into the tournament. I hope and think they will right the ship to do that.
These are always fun to look at, but more often than not I'm just left wondering what the hell Lunardi is thinking.

There is no way in hell we are two seed lines worse than OSU right now. Our RPI is nearly identical and we have a better SOS and better wins (#51, 59, 77, and 79 vs just #71 and #72).
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat04 View Post
These are always fun to look at, but more often than not I'm just left wondering what the hell Lunardi is thinking.

There is no way in hell we are two seed lines worse than OSU right now. Our RPI is nearly identical and we have a better SOS and better wins (#51, 59, 77, and 79 vs just #71 and #72).
Again, just so it's clear as it seems there are tons of people that don't get it yet...Joe's bracketology is his projection of what the NCAA Selection Committee will do. Not what he thinks they should do or even what he thinks.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Again, just so it's clear as it seems there are tons of people that don't get it yet...Joe's bracketology is his projection of what the NCAA Selection Committee will do. Not what he thinks they should do or even what he thinks.
To think the committee would see those two resumes as two seed lines apart is just idiotic.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat04 View Post
To think the committee would see those two resumes as two seed lines apart is just idiotic.
No it isn't. OSU is currently a top 15 team, UC isn't a top 25 team. That's at least 10 spots between them which in theory is > two seeds apart. Considering UC has lost 3 of 4 and 3 straight home games their stock is dropping fast.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
No it isn't. OSU is currently a top 15 team, UC isn't a top 25 team. That's at least 10 spots between them which in theory is > two seeds apart. Considering UC has lost 3 of 4 and 3 straight home games their stock is dropping fast.
The AP rankings really have nothing to do with a tournament resume. OSU hasn't beaten anyone even in the conversation for an at-large bid. #4 seed?? That's ridiculous.