Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #31
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coomer View Post
Ryan James, a recruiting analyst from MN, did a spot on Cincy Slangin’ and sounded very bullish on Mason.

Not that he doesn’t see the upside in Gabe, but the word is out on Mason as a high level shooter, good defender, and nice creator.

I suspect the Madsen brothers’ immediate impact will be limited, but I don’t find myself questioning the decision to take Mason along with Gabe anymore.
Mason seems to be turning into a lower end high major D1 prospect as opposed to a solid mid major guy. When they are the first and last players into and out of the gym...I would suspect we could see significant improvement over the years. Perhaps someday watching them feed off each other's emotions in a couple years could be a very nice windfall. I would imagine you can put them on the court together and each will know exactly where the other is going as virtual extensions of one another.

I remember when Cronin was talking up KJ and Troy when most fans were wondering if we could lower KJ's minutes. He said those two were just in tune with each other out on the court and that is an intangible that is hard to quantify. Watching our continuity issues this year...I am excited to see what that type of dynamic could bring from the twins.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #32
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Eason is a talker. I noticed in a few of his highlights he wasn't shy about telling the guy guarding him what was up. we need to get our swagger back.
Yeah I saw those too, I like it, he’s definitely gonna be a player we will
Love and other teams will hate, but he is very cocky and rightfully so, he doesn’t play the best competition in Washington, but he went to the nba camp at Virginia and was very impressive in that showing, I think he’s going to be good. Kinda reminds me a little bit of octavius ellis just 2” shorter and better handles.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #33
waterhead
Senior Moderator

It's going to be interesting next year when there is not really a clear cut player that you have to find ways to get him the ball outside of the context of your natural offensive system.

Like it or not Brannen likely feels obligated to change the offense a little for Jarron at times. Next year I think the talent will be somewhat equal to one another and Brannen can run his sets without feeling the need to switch gears for a single player quite as much. We will still want to feed Vogt a lot...but we are doing that now...and it is part of the system to do that.

As young as we will be I think the coach won't have to worry so much about damaging egos. It will be more of a pure style of play for him where everyone shares the load. I don't think Keith is the type of player you need to design a specific offense around and he works well in the system anyway.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #34
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It's going to be interesting next year when there is not really a clear cut player that you have to find ways to get him the ball outside of the context of your natural offensive system.

Like it or not Brannen likely feels obligated to change the offense a little for Jarron at times. Next year I think the talent will be somewhat equal to one another and Brannen can run his sets without feeling the need to switch gears for a single player quite as much. We will still want to feed Vogt a lot...but we are doing that now...and it is part of the system to do that.

As young as we will be I think the coach won't have to worry so much about damaging egos. It will be more of a pure style of play for him where everyone shares the load. I don't think Keith is the type of player you need to design a specific offense around and he works well in the system anyway.

i think we're looking for a progression like what Dayton has done the last 3 years. Now they've got the players Grant wants for the system and they're rocking it out. We aren't as likely to have a player as dominant as Obi, but we can have multiple shooters and multiple guys that can score. Grant/Brannens system works.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #35
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i think we're looking for a progression like what Dayton has done the last 3 years. Now they've got the players Grant wants for the system and they're rocking it out. We aren't as likely to have a player as dominant as Obi, but we can have multiple shooters and multiple guys that can score. Grant/Brannens system works.
I would agree here. Also we are 305th in 3 pt FG%. CJB's teams have historically been in the 35% range. We would have scored 42 more points this year with that avg. Spread the right way that would be enough to have won all of our games even with a ton of TO's. I know it doesn't work that way...

I would also hope with a higher caliber recruit than at NKU we could maybe even get in that 36-37% range. But I would be happy with 35 since the line moved back.

With all of the things that can/could have happened this year. Lower TO's, better 2nd half adjustments, shoot better 3%, a little tighter D in the 2nd half etc...there are loads of ways to make improvements and win games. Brannen is a smart guy and likes analytics so I still have optimism about the future with him.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #36
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
We wasn't going very far anyway once i seen our slow plodding C's jad better ball skills than most of our guards. MAW plays scared, McNeal just has zero confidence, jaevin was a wasted roster spot, jarron only can do so much, KW can't dribble, harvey should've sat out this year.

This roster in need of couple SF with ball skills. I'll take two Rashad's Bishop's over two more plodding C's.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #37
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
We wasn't going very far anyway once i seen our slow plodding C's jad better ball skills than most of our guards. MAW plays scared, McNeal just has zero confidence, jaevin was a wasted roster spot, jarron only can do so much, KW can't dribble, harvey should've sat out this year.

This roster in need of couple SF with ball skills. I'll take two Rashad's Bishop's over two more plodding C's.
Jaevin is far from a wasted roster spot. He can change the game in the course of 5 minutes when hot. Harvey cannot right now. McNeal cannot right now. Davenport cannot right now. Diara cannot right now. Moore could not. MAW is solid but not a game changer. Sorolla is solid but not a game changer.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #38
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
He looks like the most skilled. You never know what kind of competition they are playing though. I know Saunders is always playing some of the best teams in the country. Always hard to tell.
from my understanding is they are playing in a really good conference
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #39
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
from my understanding is they are playing in a really good conference
All you really need to do is watch Gabe's skillset and compare it to past and present players. I mean Keith has a step back J but he's not all that accurate. We have seen many players who can make a set 3 over time but not many who can make one on the move and even fewer who have his quick release. This kid knows how to get defenders off balance ala Jarron (even though Jarron is elite at this). Gabe has decent to above handles (for a SF) with nice stop and go action and is very controlled going to the rack. He also rebounds well. He understands the game like Jarron does. He's a high BB IQ guy.

IMO his skillset is better than 90% of our recruits over the last decade and if their skillsets have translated to high major D1 BB...then I think Gabe's will as well. Whether his competition is good or at the level of Saunders I don't think matters so much. He can play ball with the best IMO
Old 01-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #40
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Jaevin is far from a wasted roster spot. He can change the game in the course of 5 minutes when hot. Harvey cannot right now. McNeal cannot right now. Davenport cannot right now. Diara cannot right now. Moore could not. MAW is solid but not a game changer. Sorolla is solid but not a game changer.
"When Hot"??? They all high major D1 athletes. If any of them couldn't change the game on their best nights, why are they here? I said from get go to go after former 5* kids on transfer list. Coach gambled for full roster when we shouldve had high profile recruits coming in along with other recruits.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote