Bearcats by 11+ points 6 50.00%
Golden Hurricanes by 1-5 points 0 0%
Golden Hurricanes by 6+ points 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #21
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Now have the 30th best offense in the country.

A career best ranking for a much Cronin team
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:35 AM   #22
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Now have the 30th best offense in the country.

A career best ranking for a much Cronin team
Seriously looking like Cronin's best coaching job of his career.

If the offense maintains a top 40 ranking I'm beyond shocked. I know a lot of people don't like how much we iso and our slow pace (myself included) but the huge advantage of that style is really limiting turnovers. Iso helps cut down on passes (every time we pass there's a chance of a turnover) and limiting touches of guys who don't handle the ball/create well and only letting them touch it in spots where they have easy reads and decisions.

With his track record, I still keep hope that he'll find a way to get this team into the top 20 on defense.

Either way, compared to what this team looked like on night one vs Ohio State, I really thought we might end up barely over 500 in the league. Being wrong is fun.

And I wonder what kind of odds I could have gotten on Jenifer leading the conference in 3 point percentage??? Incredible shooting, his confidence looks to be growing in his shot too because it seems like he's really catching it ready to shoot more instead of looking to drive or move the ball around.

Last edited by ervins84; 01-25-2019 at 05:37 AM.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #23
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uclawrugby View Post
Two reasons we won from what I saw rebounding and they missed free throws. Once we got comfortably up in the second half we were content to trade baskets. There is a lesson in that. Defense can ease up once you get a comfortable lead and just play out the rest of the game as long as you are essentially swapping baskets. No need to kill clock and then smother on defense, it is too exhausting. Is that what we failed to do against Neveda?
I don’t think we lose to Nevada if jarron doesn’t foul out.

Also, we missed like 10 free throws in the first half. We could have up 20 at jr half but couldn’t get anything to fall through.

Either way, incredible performance from jenifer, jarron, & Tre Scott. And cane carved up the defense in the 1st half too
Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #24
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
For the first time in a while Keith did not score in double figures. But a silver lining...he had 5 assists. He's had 1 total assist in his last 5 games before that and he's recorded 12 games with 0 assists.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I think the biggest advantage to running Cumberland in ISO so much is it gives the rest of the team a chance to shoot the shots they are good at or comfortable with. They can be more efficient with their chances. Brooks, Scott, and Jenifer don't have to force anything unless they end up with the ball for some reason in the late clock. If they see the right opportunity early or mid clock they can go ahead and take it.

Brooks could have easily had 14 points last night but several of his shots were near misses bouncing around the rim but they didn't look ugly. We also missed entry passes to him many times near the block. Scott took his time to get set and shoot and when he does that he can get pretty hot at times.

We will see better defenses than what Tulsa showed but the recipe is there for us to remain efficient.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #26
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think the biggest advantage to running Cumberland in ISO so much is it gives the rest of the team a chance to shoot the shots they are good at or comfortable with. They can be more efficient with their chances. Brooks, Scott, and Jenifer don't have to force anything unless they end up with the ball for some reason in the late clock. If they see the right opportunity early or mid clock they can go ahead and take it.

Brooks could have easily had 14 points last night but several of his shots were near misses bouncing around the rim but they didn't look ugly. We also missed entry passes to him many times near the block. Scott took his time to get set and shoot and when he does that he can get pretty hot at times.

We will see better defenses than what Tulsa showed but the recipe is there for us to remain efficient.
Was a great game!!! Lots of good, already mentioned here. The only negatives...

1) Brooks still weak down low. Got the ball on a nice pass on a slow break, coulda dunked it...didn't and he missed. Next play though he did try to dunk and got fouled. Also caught the ball in the post 1x with no one on him. He had no body touching him but still caught and held the ball and didnt realize it.

2) Scott taking long 2's. They went in for him, but at least 2 of those shots, including the 1st, happened way early in the clock. I hate long 2's. But man he was on. And his defensive rebounding in the first half was AWESOME. He was rebounding balls that weren't really his to get. Was amazing effort.

3) Still left too many open 3-pt shooters....they just were missing.

All nitpicking type stuff though. Team was on and played well. Fun game to enjoy.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #27
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Seriously looking like Cronin's best coaching job of his career.

If the offense maintains a top 40 ranking I'm beyond shocked. I know a lot of people don't like how much we iso and our slow pace (myself included) but the huge advantage of that style is really limiting turnovers. Iso helps cut down on passes (every time we pass there's a chance of a turnover) and limiting touches of guys who don't handle the ball/create well and only letting them touch it in spots where they have easy reads and decisions.

With his track record, I still keep hope that he'll find a way to get this team into the top 20 on defense.

Either way, compared to what this team looked like on night one vs Ohio State, I really thought we might end up barely over 500 in the league. Being wrong is fun.

And I wonder what kind of odds I could have gotten on Jenifer leading the conference in 3 point percentage??? Incredible shooting, his confidence looks to be growing in his shot too because it seems like he's really catching it ready to shoot more instead of looking to drive or move the ball around.
The only thing that concerns me is we haven't played anyone in the top half of the league yet. USF being the closest. Lots of games against the better teams ahead!
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #28
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
The rebounding effort on both ends of the floor was tremendous yesterday. Considering we were -3 against one of the worst rebounding teams in the conference last game, and flipped that to +18 shows that proper adjustments were indeed made (on top of better shooting on our part).
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #29
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Was a great game!!! Lots of good, already mentioned here. The only negatives...

1) Brooks still weak down low. Got the ball on a nice pass on a slow break, coulda dunked it...didn't and he missed. Next play though he did try to dunk and got fouled. Also caught the ball in the post 1x with no one on him. He had no body touching him but still caught and held the ball and didnt realize it.

2) Scott taking long 2's. They went in for him, but at least 2 of those shots, including the 1st, happened way early in the clock. I hate long 2's. But man he was on. And his defensive rebounding in the first half was AWESOME. He was rebounding balls that weren't really his to get. Was amazing effort.

3) Still left too many open 3-pt shooters....they just were missing.

All nitpicking type stuff though. Team was on and played well. Fun game to enjoy.

Scott's long two's are a necessary evil. We lack space on this team. So while I wish he was a 3 point shooter ( and he did nail one from 3), at least his long 2's create some space. He keeps knocking them down and teams will have to make a choice to either guard him or let him take them. Both work in our favor as it opens up the lanes for Cane, Jarron, & keith to drive the ball.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #30
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Scott's long two's are a necessary evil. We lack space on this team. So while I wish he was a 3 point shooter ( and he did nail one from 3), at least his long 2's create some space. He keeps knocking them down and teams will have to make a choice to either guard him or let him take them. Both work in our favor as it opens up the lanes for Cane, Jarron, & keith to drive the ball.

thats not really a choice. teams will let him shoot them until his arms fall off. even if he shoots them at 40%, which is good for college at mid-range, every defense will be ok with that. it also takes our 2nd best offensive rebounder on the floor at any given time (assuming we never play with eli, brooks, and scott) away from the rim.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote