Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 02-08-2018, 10:36 PM   #71
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I too expect to see a slight bump in recruiting. NOt sure how that's lazy and thoughtless...or who pissed in your cornflakes. I think we've seen it year on year for the most part...and perhaps this years class keeps that moving.

I'm not evaluating these kids, so if the coach likes a kid a picks him...great. Where I will hold that coach accountable is when that kid has to play. And the reality is after a slow start and some big swings and misses, cronin's recruiting has been pretty solid.
I'm the one who said deep run and let the recruits roll in - not sure which thread. I definitely trust Coach to keep us at the current level, and slowly improve. I'm hoping on a modest recruiting bump ( with hard working, team players), so we can more easily take the next step. I respect other people's opinion, but this is my opinion.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #72
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yeah. I'm saying fill out 12/13 scholarships, be open to landing transfers, try to get a HS headliner in each class who you can develop as "the man" as they get older, but are good enough to at least help early on.

You do that and you see the depth we can build in this league. Filling in with the 3/4/5 year guys like Brooks, Scott, Nsoseme, Moore, Jenifer, Hardnett types has its value. Especially bc like I've mentioned, we used to have those as empty spots. Playing the pressing style we do forces you to play a lot of players. It's nice to not just play a lot of guys, but actually choose who those guys are. And realistically, you don't get those guys on the back end of your roster from the Top 100 group. But they have value for our philosophy. We mold guys into high floor players bc we teach defense and rebounding. So you find a guy with length or athleticism, we can at minimum churn out Top 15 defenses year in and year out. So that's where these guys come into play. And as it turns out, our depth and conference allow these guys to develop at a faster rate. It kind of feeds into itself.

The transfer thing is obvious. Washington and Broome had a clear path to playing time. We've been going out of our way to keep our options open in the spring. That should continue as well. And I think Washington and Broome were listed as Top 10 transfers.

The HS headliner. I guess it depends what you think of Williams and Logan Johnson. Williams still has a high ceiling and luckily we don't need him to be what Cumberland, Evans, and Clark were as FR bc we've been so good the past few years at hitting on these guys. It also looks like at least 1 or 2 of the diamonds in the rough from his class are looking pretty shiny. Another built in safety net with the full roster approach.

This has led to what we are now. Which I wholeheartedly believe is a Top 10 team at worst. I think building things this way is more sustainable than putting chips in on higher rated guys that we have less of a chance to get. Chad just said the other day that 80% of those guys rule us out before we even get in the door. Take that fwiw, but it speaks to how much more difficult it would be to pull off that kind of approach in practice. We've been creative with how we've built this thing. And I'd like to continue down that path. It has led to some pretty damn good basketball.
FYI I doubt this guy would take the scholarship that used to be "unused". I heard Mick on the radio recently mention how they don't use all their scholarships. Sounded more like they were continuing their current philosophy.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:40 AM   #73
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
I'm the one who said deep run and let the recruits roll in - not sure which thread. I definitely trust Coach to keep us at the current level, and slowly improve. I'm hoping on a modest recruiting bump ( with hard working, team players), so we can more easily take the next step. I respect other people's opinion, but this is my opinion.
I think it may be over simplifying it a bit thinking a deep run will change our recruiting. The exposure will certainly help but until we're part of a P-5 conference we will always struggle to some of extent. I hate that but I'm afraid it is reality.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #74
NKY Bearcat

NKY Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Saw an 8 page thread about a new recruit and got excited...

half a page on the recruit, and 7 pages of us bitching about a 3 star ranking. Truly disappointed gents...
NKY Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #75
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKY Bearcat View Post
Saw an 8 page thread about a new recruit and got excited...

half a page on the recruit, and 7 pages of us bitching about a 3 star ranking. Truly disappointed gents...
That's what generally happens when you have this much time between games.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #76
Fullam33

Fullam33 is on a distinguished road
LaQuills HS teammate Anthony Higgs was offered by UC back in September but decided to take his talents to Andy Kennedys Rebels

https://247sports.com/player/anthony-higgs-46041812
Fullam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #77
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
FYI I doubt this guy would take the scholarship that used to be "unused". I heard Mick on the radio recently mention how they don't use all their scholarships. Sounded more like they were continuing their current philosophy.
?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #78
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
On the radio he said he'd be surprised if we didn't add 1 or 2 more. If Evans stays, Hardnett would be scholarship #12 being used.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #79
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Some of the issues surrounding our recruiting probably have a lot to do with recruits not knowing what will happen with Evans. A JUCO with only two years of eligibility may not want to sit behind a guy and burn a year.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #80
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Some of the issues surrounding our recruiting probably have a lot to do with recruits not knowing what will happen with Evans. A JUCO with only two years of eligibility may not want to sit behind a guy and burn a year.
What 2 year JUCO are we even looking at?