Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #51
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Dude I'm not happy this happened. I'm pissed, I'm sad for our kids. I wanted so much more out of this post season. But it was still a great year with some players I'll remember for the rest of my life. I'm not gonna blame cronin because where he may not be perfect, this loss wasn't his fault. His game plan got us up 22. He wasn't on the court for the collapse, he called timeouts, he ran some stuff after that resulted in points. But our guys were deer in headlights and they couldn't stop the run. So saying you're not gonna watch the team because we aren't firing a coach that brought us from the ashes, that's a joke. And I'm not gonna feel like the bad guy for calling it how I see it. This was a huge disappointment and a monumental collapse. And like was previously said we might not ever get a draw like we had this year. We blew it, in sad, I'll be sad til next season. But I always love this team and Just won't trash them like some people do because they get lost in their feelings. Anyway, GO BEARCATS!
So everything good that happened was cronin and the collapse was the players... got it.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #52
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Reality is almost always in the middle of the extremes. Does Mick deserve some blame? Absolutely. Do the players deserve some blame? Absolutely. Time to focus on how we can improve, from coaching to recruiting to players decision making on the court. Also, we should focus on sending off Kyle and Gary to successful pro careers. No use in dwelling on the game or the incessant fire Mick/Mick is an amazing coach argument that always seems to happen.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #53
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
The similarity between mick and marvin are wild.

Both good coaches. But horrid in big games.

Zero adjustments. Micromanages the team so heavily that they are scared to just play.

This was a failed season.
Cupcake draw against a top 25 team...
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:20 PM   #54
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Dude I'm not happy this happened. I'm pissed, I'm sad for our kids. I wanted so much more out of this post season. But it was still a great year with some players I'll remember for the rest of my life. I'm not gonna blame cronin because where he may not be perfect, this loss wasn't his fault. His game plan got us up 22. He wasn't on the court for the collapse, he called timeouts, he ran some stuff after that resulted in points. But our guys were deer in headlights and they couldn't stop the run. So saying you're not gonna watch the team because we aren't firing a coach that brought us from the ashes, that's a joke. And I'm not gonna feel like the bad guy for calling it how I see it. This was a huge disappointment and a monumental collapse. And like was previously said we might not ever get a draw like we had this year. We blew it, in sad, I'll be sad til next season. But I always love this team and Just won't trash them like some people do because they get lost in their feelings. Anyway, GO BEARCATS!
you blame the players, but technically couldnt the players be blamed after every loss? Isnt every game a matter of one team of players making more shots than another team of players?

You have to blame the coaching staff at some point.
He kept Jarron in. Big mistake
He played tight-ass iso ball with Evans last 9 minutes. -big mistake
We start off both halves playing loose and balling, then we switch to slow play kill the flow offensive sets. Cronin is calling the plays, not the players
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #55
Nayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Reality is almost always in the middle of the extremes. Does Mick deserve some blame? Absolutely. Do the players deserve some blame? Absolutely. Time to focus on how we can improve, from coaching to recruiting to players decision making on the court. Also, we should focus on sending off Kyle and Gary to successful pro careers. No use in dwelling on the game or the incessant fire Mick/Mick is an amazing coach argument that always seems to happen.
great. at this rate of yearly improvement, we can hope for an elite 8 by 2030! yippee!!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #56
Bearcatmatt

Bearcatmatt is on a distinguished road
We’ve had 2 Sweet 16 appearances in 20 years.

Let that sink in.
Bearcatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #57
Nayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcatmatt View Post
We’ve had 2 Sweet 16 appearances in 20 years.

Let that sink in.
unlike a lot of Cincinnatians, I'm a huge FC Cincinnati fan. They had a rough season, but they overachieved in tournament competition. Being a part of that was insanely fun. Wish I could experience that for my favorite sports team
Old 03-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #58
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayers View Post
great. at this rate of yearly improvement, we can hope for an elite 8 by 2030! yippee!!
Mick is here to stay, unless he decides to leave on his own. I’m not telling you that you have to like it or that it is right, it’s just the reality of the situation. Instead of being sour grapes, we should just focus on improving the situation, even if it is slow and gradual. There are 351 D1 teams and only 8 make it to the elite 8. That’s a 2% chance of making it every year. Only 9% make it to the round of 32, so we are still in the top 10 percent of all D1 teams. I know it stings now, but things could be worse and we can improve if Mick becomes even slightly less stubborn.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:40 PM   #59
Nayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Mick is here to stay, unless he decides to leave on his own. I’m not telling you that you have to like it or that it is right, it’s just the reality of the situation. Instead of being sour grapes, we should just focus on improving the situation, even if it is slow and gradual. There are 351 D1 teams and only 8 make it to the elite 8. That’s a 2% chance of making it every year. Only 9% make it to the round of 32, so we are still in the top 10 percent of all D1 teams. I know it stings now, but things could be worse and we can improve if Mick becomes even slightly less stubborn.
I get that, and I hope mick really evaluates his philosophy on coaching after this loss. But if he harps on "toughness" and defensive lapses he isn't changing, and neither are our prospects. Its not like mick is his 3rd year as coach. Hes had plenty of time to be where he needs to be. He never just owns up to being crap in big games. He passively puts in on the players. Hopefully fickell can overachieve this year.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #60
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayers View Post
I get that, and I hope mick really evaluates his philosophy on coaching after this loss. But if he harps on "toughness" and defensive lapses he isn't changing, and neither are our prospects. Its not like mick is his 3rd year as coach. Hes had plenty of time to be where he needs to be. He never just owns up to being crap in big games. He passively puts in on the players. Hopefully fickell can overachieve this year.
In the post game he blamed the players.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote