Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #1151
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I just think its pretty crazy to hire not even the highest assistant on hugg's staff.

Like he is the 2nd or 3rd coach on the bench. Do we really want him as a head coach.

I just want no gambles.

Dennis Gates: Huge Gamble, has an even thinner resume than Brannen
Erik Martin: Not even an associate head coach, can the dude even recruit that well?
Savino: I like Savino, and I think think he'd do well here. He knows the city and what it takes to win. But there will be more haters for this hire than any other IMO. But he's also a big gamble

Archie: the highest floor of all the coaches. He has never had a team in the triple digits of Kenpom. He is a better coach than John Brannen and has an elite 8. I think with the right staff, it could be a home run hire

Bryce Drew: He can recruit. But Im not convinced that he is that great. I don't care how many players you lose, you can't go 0-16 in the SEC
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #1152
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I just think its pretty crazy to hire not even the highest assistant on hugg's staff.

Like he is the 2nd or 3rd coach on the bench. Do we really want him as a head coach.

I just want no gambles.

Dennis Gates: Huge Gamble, has an even thinner resume than Brannen
Erik Martin: Not even an associate head coach, can the dude even recruit that well?
Savino: I like Savino, and I think think he'd do well here. He knows the city and what it takes to win. But there will be more haters for this hire than any other IMO. But he's also a big gamble

Archie: the highest floor of all the coaches. He has never had a team in the triple digits of Kenpom. He is a better coach than John Brannen and has an elite 8. I think with the right staff, it could be a home run hire

Bryce Drew: He can recruit. But Im not convinced that he is that great. I don't care how many players you lose, you can't go 0-16 in the SEC
Hiring a new coach is a gamble, no matter who you take.

Archie had issues with player relationships at IU, is he really the guy you want to bring in after Brannen? He also has never successfully rebuilt a program. He took over a successful Dayton team and took them to the next level. He tried and failed to rebuild IU. Despite being only two years out of success, we are looking like a major rebuild right now.

Besides that, I'm curious if Archie even wants to come here. He will earn the same amount sitting on the couch as he would coaching here. Is a major rebuild with a fanbase with unrealistic expectations what he wants right now? Seems pretty similar to the IU situation he just got booted out of.

Last edited by skyblade; 04-10-2021 at 02:58 PM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #1153
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
last up and comer we hired just got canned and was a complete dipshit. Not sure UC is in a spot where they can gamble.

Archie will win here IMO and his buy out from Indiana could really help keep our books low for a few years
All about the local recruits right now. Can Archie guarantee McMillan and griffin? Martin has Lil P locked up basically
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #1154
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Hiring a new coach is a gamble, no matter who you take.

Archie had issues with player relationships at IU, is he really the guy you want to bring in after Brannen? He also has never successfully rebuilt a program. He took over a successful Dayton team and took them to the next level. He tried and failed to rebuild IU. Despite being only two years out of success, we are looking like a major rebuild right now.

Besides that, I'm curious if Archie even wants to come here. He will earn the same amount sitting on the couch as he would coaching here. Is a major rebuild with a fanbase with unrealistic expectations what he wants right now? Seems pretty similar to the IU situation he just got booted out of.
I agree, every new hire is a gamble. It’s not like Archie Miller is some kind of sure thing. He’s far from it.

I disagree with our fans being unrealistic. How are our fans unrealistic? Because we wanted more than 1 sweet 16 in 12 years? Yeah, that’s insane
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:11 PM   #1155
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I’ll never understand how people will say we are bad fans or unrealistic. We have underachieved more than any school the last 20 years. I guess we are just supposed to accept that and be happy
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #1156
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
UC interviewed Erik Martin this morning.. Cunningham keeps saying how fast he wants this wrapped up, so I wouldn’t be shocked if Erik was hired
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #1157
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
UC interviewed Erik Martin this morning.. Cunningham keeps saying how fast he wants this wrapped up, so I wouldn’t be shocked if Erik was hired
If Huggins didn’t have connections here would Martin even be on the list?

Not the way I’d want to hire.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #1158
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
If Huggins didn’t have connections here would Martin even be on the list?

Not the way I’d want to hire.
I won’t argue that, a lot of the fan base still lives in the 90’s when we were Jordan and had Huggs and think hiring under the Huggins umbrella is the only way to go
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:25 AM   #1159
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Personally I have yet to read any fireable offense that Brannen allegedly committed so I am pretty sure he is getting a very substantial buyout with confidentiality of course so the university can save face. Did I miss something here? I am also surprised Jeff Boals name has not come up as far as I have read if we go the up and comer route. I am not optimistic we are going to take a step up from John Brannen based on the choices I am reading in this discussion.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:24 AM   #1160
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
Personally I have yet to read any fireable offense that Brannen allegedly committed so I am pretty sure he is getting a very substantial buyout with confidentiality of course so the university can save face. Did I miss something here? I am also surprised Jeff Boals name has not come up as far as I have read if we go the up and comer route. I am not optimistic we are going to take a step up from John Brannen based on the choices I am reading in this discussion.
Just because you haven't seen anything doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Based on how tight-lipped and thorough the University has been and how much mud slinging Brannen/Mars have done, my guess is the University has something.

There won't be face saving by the University, we are going to know the amount they pay. Confidentiality doesn't matter much, we will know based on the payment how good what they had was. As a public University they may be able to hide some pieces of the investigation, but they cannot hide the payment.

4+ Million: This was essentially a railroading by UC.
2.5-4 million: They have something, but it's about 50-50 if it would hold up in court.
1.5-2.5 million: They have something good, but not perfect. About 75% of holding up in court.
Less than 1.5 million: They've got Brannen by the balls, but are willing to pay him a token amount to get him to go away.

On Boals, I think the assumption is he doesn't want to come here. Seems like he wants to be a career OU guy.

Last edited by skyblade; 04-11-2021 at 07:35 AM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote