Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #1341
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Mick cronin is at UCLA. He can get great players. He couldn’t go to the the final four here. Might have helped him to be an analytics guy.
Didn't help Brannen a whole lot.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #1342
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Didn't help Brannen a whole lot.
Because brannen failed, analytics don’t help. Makes sense. Keep fighting that fight
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #1343
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I just want a coach who can win in multiple ways, knows how to recruit, knows how to build a culture and most of all wins.

I went back and watched Mick’s introductory presser at UCLA. When you couple that speech with his final four run, it’s Incredible.

Compare it to John Brannen’s and you can tell they were even in the same ballpark. One is a great coach and one is a dude.

Whoever it is.... just be better then JB and you get my support
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #1344
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I want a coach who can tell you what analytics say you should be doing and then be able to adjust when those things aren't working on a given night. Or when a defense takes away what analytics says they should be taking away.

I want some good scheduling analytics as well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #1345
waterhead
Senior Moderator

John Brannen likely got hired on a great presentation about knowing the analytics. But his players could not perform all the tasks required to make it work. The plan was great but execution was not there. One could say he didn't have enough time but he was losing damn near an entire roster as well.

You have to recruit the players to fit...and on several occasions he did not. I think he did very well on a few though. Too bad he wasn't in tune with them
Old 04-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #1346
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
All these black candidates I we still don’t believe it had anything to do with race? Hire Martin as HC, make nve and nored two of highest paid assistant in P5
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #1347
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think Chad jumped the gun a bit. Multiple candidates can have second interviews and contract negotiations.
I think from the smoke Martin was pulling ahead but negotiations can break down and do all the time based on any number of issues. So Cunningham had some other negotiations going on at the same time and that is called a good poker hand or a good bluff.

I think Martin would be smart to take what he can get now and hope he is successful to lead to bigger contracts in the future. They will be there. And I truly hope if the HC is Martin that NVE is an assistant or my confidence level will go down a notch. And it's not that high to start
Old 04-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #1348
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Analytics basically word non sports playing nerds came up with. Coaches and players been using them, everything just was stored in our own brains. You think they just learned who should shoot and who shouldn’t? Give me a coach that’s knows game without using computer numbers, bell(reds) use them more than anybody on earth. Maybe works 25% of time
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #1349
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I have told this story before. But I had a ball signed by the entire F4 team that I won when they called my ticket in the raffle at a game early in the year. Martin and NVE were both on there along with Huggins and Blount, Jones, Nelson, Buford etc.

I had no idea we were going to the F4 so I played open gym 3 nights a week with it and all the names wore off.

So I am partial to Martin and NVE as they were at UC when I was there. NVE actually made it to one of our keggers with a couple of other players. We had a friend dating Bostic and they showed up.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:29 PM   #1350
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
All these black candidates I we still don’t believe it had anything to do with race? Hire Martin as HC, make nve and nored two of highest paid assistant in P5
If John brannen was racist Justin would be screaming it by now. I can assure you of that.

No one liked the guy. You don’t have to be racist for no one to like you. You just have to be a jerk.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote