Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #71
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Wes reaching out to former players, will be really interesting to see how thos develops. Hopefully they are more involved.

https://twitter.com/MrKeithJenkins/s...widget%3DTweet
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #72
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Saddled with Brannen Players? I think you are the only person that wouldn't want Tari, Mikey and Mason back, especially on a team where we literally have 3 guys and then a Russian guy who hasn't played a single minute. They have all played together and went to the conference championship game as freshman under a coach who was an idiot. While we are at it lets tell Davenport ,DDJ and MAW to kick rocks too, give us 12 open roster spots in the middle of April and we can get 12 random guys from the portal and see how well they play together. If the 3 of them come back, which isn't even a guarantee that will give us a solid 6 players, then Wes can add another 6-7 guys depending on what Viktor does and that will make the transition MUCH easier instead of 12-13 brand new guys with a new coach.
Odds are we aren't going to hit home runs with every portal guy either. If we grab 6 I would hope 4 of them can add value this year. We know the value of what we have outside of Lakhin. Some portal guys won't be ready for the jump to the next level if we get some mid major dudes.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #73
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Odds are we aren't going to hit home runs with every portal guy either. If we grab 6 I would hope 4 of them can add value this year. We know the value of what we have outside of Lakhin. Some portal guys won't be ready for the jump to the next level if we get some mid major dudes.
Need to go the Sampson route. Get portal guys that excel at one thing in your system.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #74
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Need to go the Sampson route. Get portal guys that excel at one thing in your system.
And maybe a Grimes type player would be nice...
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #75
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I think Wes should look at any players who he thinks fit the system who also have true shooting percentages above 52. Langley and Abdulsalam fit the mold from last year's team. I don't know what their plans are.

I'm not seeing Isaiah Miller as an NBA player yet. The guy is a horrible shooter. He's a good finisher at the rim (63%) but only 38% from midrange on a boatload of attempts, 21% from three, and 62% from the free throw line. That all adds up to a true shooting percentage below 50. You just can't have a good offense if your highest usage guy is doing that. One of our biggest problems last year was Keith had a crazy high usage and a true shooting percentage of only 48.

But I would take Miller because he's a huge upgrade over DeJulius, who is an even worse shooter and not the same level of athlete.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #76
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think Wes should look at any players who he thinks fit the system who also have true shooting percentages above 52. Langley and Abdulsalam fit the mold from last year's team. I don't know what their plans are.

I'm not seeing Isaiah Miller as an NBA player yet. The guy is a horrible shooter. He's a good finisher at the rim (63%) but only 38% from midrange on a boatload of attempts, 21% from three, and 62% from the free throw line. That all adds up to a true shooting percentage below 50. You just can't have a good offense if your highest usage guy is doing that. One of our biggest problems last year was Keith had a crazy high usage and a true shooting percentage of only 48.

But I would take Miller because he's a huge upgrade over DeJulius, who is an even worse shooter and not the same level of athlete.
And the 30.9 assist rate with 15.9 TOrate, plus the 19.5 DR doesn't hurt.

His TS% was 55 as a freshman and 53.3 as a SO. And that was with 26.4 and 27.2 usage. We'd take that all day.

He wouldn't need anywhere near a 35 usage rate here.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #77
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Based on everything I've seen, Wes values plus athleticism in recruits first and foremost in terms of attributes. Culturally values guys who are tough and willing to give their all on defense.

The main guy who may not fit that style here is Lakhin. Speculation that he may transfer, but nothing concrete. Mason may be a bit of a question in terms of athleticism, but I think he brings enough to the table in terms of defense, intensity and shooting that Miller will want him back (maybe not as a starter). Eason seems like a perfect fit and Saunders may not have the ideal length, but he brings a lot in terms of quickness and Miller seems to like quick guards who pressure hard. Hope they both come back.

The biggest thing in terms of recruiting is getting big men. Lakhin is a big question mark even if he stays, want at least one developmental recruit and one guy who can play now (could be Diarra), perhaps even a third guy.

There is a lot of talk that Wes is willing to adjust to his players. Much more so than Brannen (not at all) and Cronin (barely at all) were willing to. I'm hoping this is the case and if it is it should show year one.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:58 AM   #78
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Based on everything I've seen, Wes values plus athleticism in recruits first and foremost in terms of attributes. Culturally values guys who are tough and willing to give their all on defense.

The main guy who may not fit that style here is Lakhin. Speculation that he may transfer, but nothing concrete. Mason may be a bit of a question in terms of athleticism, but I think he brings enough to the table in terms of defense, intensity and shooting that Miller will want him back (maybe not as a starter). Eason seems like a perfect fit and Saunders may not have the ideal length, but he brings a lot in terms of quickness and Miller seems to like quick guards who pressure hard. Hope they both come back.

The biggest thing in terms of recruiting is getting big men. Lakhin is a big question mark even if he stays, want at least one developmental recruit and one guy who can play now (could be Diarra), perhaps even a third guy.

There is a lot of talk that Wes is willing to adjust to his players. Much more so than Brannen (not at all) and Cronin (barely at all) were willing to. I'm hoping this is the case and if it is it should show year one.
That sounds good, wanting a certain type of player, but when you need to sign 9 players in a couple months, you take what you can get with about 6 of them. If you want to be picky with 2-3, great, but he needs 9 players. If they are decent at all, he’ll probably take them this year
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #79
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post

Based on the one game I watched, I think Miller is better than he looks on paper. He was a driver surrounded by non-shooters, teams packed the paint and he still had reasonable success. The best shooting percentage guy on their team shot 33.6% from three and he was a backup.

Granted UC isn't exactly full of shooters either (only JD (37.8%) was higher of guys currently on the roster, Diarra (44.5%) also higher and Mason about the same (32.2%). Surround Miller with shooters and let him go to work with an open lane and he could be deadly.

In terms of NBA potential though, he needs to develop a 3. Athleticism is great, but if you can't shoot the three (especially at only 6 feet tall) you're not going far.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #80
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
You should probably look at his highest rated recruit. He's a lot more Lakhin and Bryson Spell than what you're describing here.

Jarrett Hensley tells me he realized he needs shooters than can stretch the floor to mix with his athletic guards. Plus he had the big center that was slow and took 3's.

So umm, it kinda looks a lot like Brannens roster construction (which I think is typical for a 4 out 1 in style offense that he runs).