Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #81
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I think mason will likely be back. Doesn’t seem like he has many good options. Mikey, I think wants to come back since he’s from Indy, but is wait and see. Probably 50-50. Tari I never thought would come back. He always seemed like he wanted to go back west but the longer he waits, the more likely he considers it. I’d still go 30% chance he comes back. Also, these are just my opinion.

I’d take anyone at this point that is a decent player. We need a lot of players

Last edited by cincyguy13; 04-16-2021 at 09:11 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #82
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
That sounds good, wanting a certain type of player, but when you need to sign 9 players in a couple months, you take what you can get with about 6 of them. If you want to be picky with 2-3, great, but he needs 9 players. If they are decent at all, he’ll probably take them this year
Yeah, that's why I think this year will show his (claimed) willingness to adjust. He's not going to get all players who fit his system, but he's going to need to find a way to make it work anyway.

Recruiting will be interesting. I think you take what you can get with about 1/3rd grad transfers, try to get 1/3rd freshmen who are what you really want and then 1/3rd guys who mostly fit your style who are Sophomores or Juniors.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #83
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Based on everything I've seen, Wes values plus athleticism in recruits first and foremost in terms of attributes. Culturally values guys who are tough and willing to give their all on defense.

The main guy who may not fit that style here is Lakhin. Speculation that he may transfer, but nothing concrete. Mason may be a bit of a question in terms of athleticism, but I think he brings enough to the table in terms of defense, intensity and shooting that Miller will want him back (maybe not as a starter). Eason seems like a perfect fit and Saunders may not have the ideal length, but he brings a lot in terms of quickness and Miller seems to like quick guards who pressure hard. Hope they both come back.

The biggest thing in terms of recruiting is getting big men. Lakhin is a big question mark even if he stays, want at least one developmental recruit and one guy who can play now (could be Diarra), perhaps even a third guy.

There is a lot of talk that Wes is willing to adjust to his players. Much more so than Brannen (not at all) and Cronin (barely at all) were willing to. I'm hoping this is the case and if it is it should show year one.
This is the part that worries me a little. I don't want a Cronin 2.0 so I hope he can recruit a tad better or can find better ways to score. Cronin did very well here but did get stuck at a ceiling. We are still going to have to score the ball in the tourney or have 1-2 guys who can take over a game when necessary. If he is willing to make adjustments over being stubborn that will help.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #84
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In terms of NBA potential though, he needs to develop a 3. Athleticism is great, but if you can't shoot the three (especially at only 6 feet tall) you're not going far.
Yes, this was my point. I know he's really good, and as cincrulz said he put up better numbers in previous years. I just don't think he has much of a chance to go straight to the NBA. So the question is if he want to play in the G League or a play on a bigger college stage in his final year. I think we might actually be an option.

I definitely don't want him shooting anywhere close to 257 midrange shots though (9 per game). Even at an ok rate of 38%, it's the equivalent of 25% from three. Could you imagine if we had a guy chuck up 9 threes every game and only hit 25% of them? The closest we've had was in 2013 when SK shot 8 per game at 31% (plus 4 midrange shots at 38%). Our offense was outside the top 100 that year, the worst in Cronin's years after the first couple rebuild seasons.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #85
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
You should probably look at his highest rated recruit. He's a lot more Lakhin and Bryson Spell than what you're describing here.

Jarrett Hensley tells me he realized he needs shooters than can stretch the floor to mix with his athletic guards. Plus he had the big center that was slow and took 3's.

So umm, it kinda looks a lot like Brannens roster construction (which I think is typical for a 4 out 1 in style offense that he runs).
Koval didn't start, averaged right around 20 minutes and was quite a bit more mobile than Vogt. Hensley barely played. Every coach wants guys who can do everything. Even Cronin recruited offense first guys now and then (Kyle Washington, Broome, Jarron).

The question is, what are they going to prioritize as things that get guys on the floor? Brannen strongly prioritized offense, Cronin strongly prioritized defense, Miller seems to prioritize defense as well.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #86
waterhead
Senior Moderator

One other thing I will be looking out for is team chemistry and attitude. Over the years we have seen a lot of upset/frustrated guys and that comes with just about any team. Last year we had guys playing for each other and not the coach at the end of the year. With Cronin it was his way or highway and guys played scared to come out a lot.

There has to be a balance in between somewhere that can keep more of the attitudes positive about their roles etc. It sounds like Wes may have a better handle on that issue but who knows
Old 04-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #87
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
This is the part that worries me a little. I don't want a Cronin 2.0 so I hope he can recruit a tad better or can find better ways to score. Cronin did very well here but did get stuck at a ceiling. We are still going to have to score the ball in the tourney or have 1-2 guys who can take over a game when necessary. If he is willing to make adjustments over being stubborn that will help.
Agree. Hope he doesn’t go full athletes team that can’t score. No one wants that. I don’t know enough about him though. Maybe he isn’t trying to do that either. Time will tell. No sense in getting mad about it yet.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #88
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Yes, this was my point. I know he's really good, and as cincrulz said he put up better numbers in previous years. I just don't think he has much of a chance to go straight to the NBA. So the question is if he want to play in the G League or a play on a bigger college stage in his final year. I think we might actually be an option.

I definitely don't want him shooting anywhere close to 257 midrange shots though (9 per game). Even at an ok rate of 38%, it's the equivalent of 25% from three. Could you imagine if we had a guy chuck up 9 threes every game and only hit 25% of them? The closest we've had was in 2013 when SK shot 8 per game at 31% (plus 4 midrange shots at 38%). Our offense was outside the top 100 that year, the worst in Cronin's years after the first couple rebuild seasons.
If we grab Miller I don't know what that says to DD or Mike. It would be interesting to hear what happened with coaches talk with Mike and if any questions like that were brought up. Are you (will you) bring in any more PG's this year?
Old 04-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #89
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I am fine with a Cronin 2.0. I am convinced that the NCAA tournament is more about luck than skill (unless you are a 1 or 2 seed and even then luck and matchups play a big role).

I think Miller is more willing to adjust and hopefully that holds true, my biggest complaint with Cronin was his lack of adjustment. He also plays at a faster pace on offense and seems more personable with media, I don't think either of these effects wins/losses, but it should make some fans who didn't like Cronin like him. We will see with recruiting, having Roy Williams as a season ticket holder shouldn't hurt.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #90
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
I am fine with a Cronin 2.0. I am convinced that the NCAA tournament is more about luck than skill (unless you are a 1 or 2 seed and even then luck and matchups play a big role).

I think Miller is more willing to adjust and hopefully that holds true, my biggest complaint with Cronin was his lack of adjustment. He also plays at a faster pace on offense and seems more personable with media, I don't think either of these effects wins/losses, but it should make some fans who didn't like Cronin like him. We will see with recruiting, having Roy Williams as a season ticket holder shouldn't hurt.
I always thought cronin ball would work better if he just gave up a little defense for offense. I think he tried a couple times with quad and a couple others but never really found a balanced equation. It’s just really hard to beat good teams when 2-3 people on the floor can’t score at all. Hope our new coach can find a balance