Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #91
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think Wes should look at any players who he thinks fit the system who also have true shooting percentages above 52. Langley and Abdulsalam fit the mold from last year's team. I don't know what their plans are.

I'm not seeing Isaiah Miller as an NBA player yet. The guy is a horrible shooter. He's a good finisher at the rim (63%) but only 38% from midrange on a boatload of attempts, 21% from three, and 62% from the free throw line. That all adds up to a true shooting percentage below 50. You just can't have a good offense if your highest usage guy is doing that. One of our biggest problems last year was Keith had a crazy high usage and a true shooting percentage of only 48.

But I would take Miller because he's a huge upgrade over DeJulius, who is an even worse shooter and not the same level of athlete.
Miller probably only come play if Williams stays. I can see him going to Arkansas with his best friend JD
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:37 AM   #92
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Agree. Hope he doesn’t go full athletes team that can’t score. No one wants that. I don’t know enough about him though. Maybe he isn’t trying to do that either. Time will tell. No sense in getting mad about it yet.
They shot a lot of 3's and didn't make many. That's the scary part for me when BB skills are low on the list. The hope is he can up his recruiting here at UC and add the skill with the athletes. But that is easier said than done because everyone wants the skilled athletes who work hard and play D.

Can't wait to see what we start pulling in but if we keep the guys we have we should have a little shooting capability to start out

Last edited by waterhead; 04-16-2021 at 09:40 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #93
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
This is the part that worries me a little. I don't want a Cronin 2.0 so I hope he can recruit a tad better or can find better ways to score. Cronin did very well here but did get stuck at a ceiling. We are still going to have to score the ball in the tourney or have 1-2 guys who can take over a game when necessary. If he is willing to make adjustments over being stubborn that will help.

Stylistically they aren't the same on offense. Cronin doesn't want his guys shooting 3's for the most part, Miller's teams shoot a ton of them.

That right there is a huge difference.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #94
TheRealMick
Elite Member

3 PG lineup could work if DDJ worked on his shot.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #95
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Stylistically they aren't the same on offense. Cronin doesn't want his guys shooting 3's for the most part, Miller's teams shoot a ton of them.

Yeah wanted layups
Old 04-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #96
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They shot a lot of 3's and didn't make many. That's the scary part for me when BB skills are low on the list. The hope is he can up his recruiting here at UC and add the skill with the athletes. But that is easier said than done because everyone wants the skilled athletes who work hard and play D.

Can't wait to see what we start pulling in but if we keep the guys we have we should have a little shooting capability to start out
We don’t know. Maybe he had to play like that because he could only get those level players. Maybe he changes things with a different level player. Like cronin was able to do a little at UCLA. Who knows but like I said, it’s way too early to get mad about it. Let’s see who he can get.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #97
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Koval didn't start, averaged right around 20 minutes and was quite a bit more mobile than Vogt. Hensley barely played. Every coach wants guys who can do everything. Even Cronin recruited offense first guys now and then (Kyle Washington, Broome, Jarron).

The question is, what are they going to prioritize as things that get guys on the floor? Brannen strongly prioritized offense, Cronin strongly prioritized defense, Miller seems to prioritize defense as well.

What I'm saying is he signed Hensley, who is nothing like the players you described. You don't sign a Hensley unless you're willing to break outside of one specific philosophy, because Hensley doesn't fit that mold at all.

I'm not talking about offense first vs defense first, I'm talking about skill sets.

Miller has shown he's willing to change aspects of his teams because he thinks he can do better. He might have a consistently evolving mindset when it comes to what he needs (which would be a great thing).
Old 04-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #98
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

That is a big difference. But you can't end up over 300 rank in your % of makes while doing that. His wings have to be able to shoot. And that's the hard part when getting athletes...not a lot can shoot or dribble very well...and if they can everyone wants them. Lock up JD, MAW, and Mason and we will already have some serviceable shooters but they don't wow you as athletes.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #99
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If you watch his pre-season press conference from last year, he noted three point shooting as one of his biggest concerns. So at least he has shown an awareness of the problem, now he just needs to fix it.

A bit ironically he was known as a player for being a three point shooter (shot 44.1% in the one season he averaged over 20 minutes per game). In every other season he averaged 33.3% or lower from three. So I'm guessing he understands that guys need to get comfortable with the flow of the game if you expect them to shoot well.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #100
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Yeah wanted layups
Mick doesn't really emphasis those either. His teams take a very high percentage of their shots from the midrange, 40% this year. Miller's team took a midrange 2 26% of the time, and 50% of those were from 1 guy.