TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
TransferPG/Mickey/Ddj
TransferSg/SF/maw/Mason
Davenport/Eason/transferSG/SF
Tari/TransferPF/C/spell
TransferC/PF/lahkin

I see us needing upgrades at G and rim protectors. Get two guys that can play 1-3 preferably and couple 6’10 or better rim protectors/rebounders

Last edited by TheRealMick; 04-16-2021 at 12:40 PM.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #132
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I'm still confident we can compete next year. I don't think this needs to be a 4 year project. I feel like JD's Sr year should have a solid shot at the tournament with him, MAW, and Saunders. Gotta add some people to it, but its not a bad place to start.

Year 2 right now looks better than year 2 did 2 years ago.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #133
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Stylistically they aren't the same on offense. Cronin doesn't want his guys shooting 3's for the most part, Miller's teams shoot a ton of them.

That right there is a huge difference.
Yea, Miller's teams absolutely heave 3-pointers. I don't mind it so much as a general philosophy, but hopefully they can hit a few more here than they did there.

Even with a really good shooting team, there are going to be games where they just kill themselves with a ton of misses. It is part of the bargain you make.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #134
Emperor Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
That and not walking the ball up the court were music to my ears
Of course, every coach says that. Even guys who coach at the slowest pace in the world always promise they are going to "run more if the opportunity is there"
Old 04-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #135
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Saunders first to commit Brannen and Miller?
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #136
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
Of course, every coach says that. Even guys who coach at the slowest pace in the world always promise they are going to "run more if the opportunity is there"
Yeah but his teams actually do it. He doesn't say they are going to do it every offseason and then they don't.

Miller has some wild stuff in how his previous teams have played. He's coached teams that played the 6th fastest overall tempo as well as the 319th fastest.

They've been between 67.5 and 67.9 possessions per game the past 3 years. Mick never went above 67. Brannen's first year we were 68.1.

I don't have the average length of possession on offense, but I've heard his teams are top 100, but they force you into longer possessions on defense.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #137
Emperor Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Yeah but his teams actually do it. He doesn't say they are going to do it every offseason and then they don't.

Miller has some wild stuff in how his previous teams have played. He's coached teams that played the 6th fastest overall tempo as well as the 319th fastest.

They've been between 67.5 and 67.9 possessions per game the past 3 years. Mick never went above 67. Brannen's first year we were 68.1.

I don't have the average length of possession on offense, but I've heard his teams are top 100, but they force you into longer possessions on defense.
Yeah, he likes to pressure the ball after made FG in order to bleed the shot clock and make it hard to run your offense, which will slow the overall pace even if you play fairly quick on offense.

There is a general truism in college basketball that the fans all want the team to play faster and the coaches all lie about how fast they intend to play to placate the fans, though. It isn't a UC thing; every single coach talks about playing faster in every offseason presser.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #138
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I understand coach speak isn't coach do all the time. But a hybrid of Cronin and Brannen ball sure would be nice. Play D, rebound, push tempo and shoot 3's. Those can all be done. Cronin didn't have the depth (that he could trust) to keep up the pace. He had to slow it down on purpose to keep fresh legs. I want to do both but you need depth
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #139
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, he likes to pressure the ball after made FG in order to bleed the shot clock and make it hard to run your offense, which will slow the overall pace even if you play fairly quick on offense.

There is a general truism in college basketball that the fans all want the team to play faster and the coaches all lie about how fast they intend to play to placate the fans, though. It isn't a UC thing; every single coach talks about playing faster in every offseason presser.
Yeah, I don’t take anything they say at a press conference serious. As far as play style. They all say the same things at a press conference. Play fast, tough, etc.....
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:41 PM   #140
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I think we’re closer to getting Tari back then most think.

But yea I have no idea
I hope. Would love to see him play with some experience and confidence. I just think if you have options close to home, or closer to home, you’ll probably lean that way.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote