Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #71
Jarad_Hunter

Jarad_Hunter is on a distinguished road
Jason-

I thought Tranghese wanted to expand media presence, which is why Depaul and Marquette (non-football) joined the same year. At the time, the greatest influence on our media value was basketball. The idea being, create the greatest basketball conference ever assembled and use this strength as leverage to build the weaker football brands. A very bold strategy that worked.

The Huggins fiasco and Kelly hiring created a perfect storm. Football fans got all giddy about making the BCS, while Mick struggled to rebuild basketball, coaching against Boeheim, Calhoun, and Pitino. Naturally, the administration shifted it's focus.

Of course, football was really benefitting from playing in a BCS conference, watered-down from previous defections. Kelly knew what was coming in that Florida game.

I am all for football. But, right now, we should be in the Big East. My guess is Gregory Williams could see the end-result, which is why he was so proactive in maintaining the relationships with the Catholic schools. Again, I am not privy to any inside information, just a hypothesis based on public reporting.

Whit and Santa did as good a job as anyone, given their being thrust into a delicate situation, with a very demanding board of directors. I wish Whit all the best. He is very impressive.

I look at the profitability and valuation of Louisville basketball (ranked #1), and say, I remember not too long ago when UC dominated Louisville. We out-recruited Louisville. Our brand was stronger (Nike jumpman). We sold out the Shoe, consistently. We dominated the in-town sports media discussion December-through-March.

Then I look at the top-15 college football programs and notice, right away, these are all college towns. No pro competition. And, I think to myself, how are we ever going to catch these programs?

We are not in Steve Jobs' garage. It's college athletics in a conservative, midwest city. History is important in making large, capital allocation decisions. History would reveal that basketball can be a very lucrative niche for us, if we focus our attention and resources.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I promise, no more from me on this very important topic.
Jarad_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #72
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarad_Hunter View Post
Jason-

I thought Tranghese wanted to expand media presence, which is why Depaul and Marquette (non-football) joined the same year. At the time, the greatest influence on our media value was basketball. The idea being, create the greatest basketball conference ever assembled and use this strength as leverage to build the weaker football brands. A very bold strategy that worked.

The Huggins fiasco and Kelly hiring created a perfect storm. Football fans got all giddy about making the BCS, while Mick struggled to rebuild basketball, coaching against Boeheim, Calhoun, and Pitino. Naturally, the administration shifted it's focus.

Of course, football was really benefitting from playing in a BCS conference, watered-down from previous defections. Kelly knew what was coming in that Florida game.

I am all for football. But, right now, we should be in the Big East. My guess is Gregory Williams could see the end-result, which is why he was so proactive in maintaining the relationships with the Catholic schools. Again, I am not privy to any inside information, just a hypothesis based on public reporting.

Whit and Santa did as good a job as anyone, given their being thrust into a delicate situation, with a very demanding board of directors. I wish Whit all the best. He is very impressive.

I look at the profitability and valuation of Louisville basketball (ranked #1), and say, I remember not too long ago when UC dominated Louisville. We out-recruited Louisville. Our brand was stronger (Nike jumpman). We sold out the Shoe, consistently. We dominated the in-town sports media discussion December-through-March.

Then I look at the top-15 college football programs and notice, right away, these are all college towns. No pro competition. And, I think to myself, how are we ever going to catch these programs?

We are not in Steve Jobs' garage. It's college athletics in a conservative, midwest city. History is important in making large, capital allocation decisions. History would reveal that basketball can be a very lucrative niche for us, if we focus our attention and resources.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I promise, no more from me on this very important topic.
JH, I agree with a lot of your thoughts. Not sure I agree with football joining the MAC, but I understand where you're coming from. I too feel like we are wasting money chasing a football dream that will probably never materialize. I, like you, would have thrown the money at basketball first. Good posts though.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #73
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
The fact is UC will never ever ever ever compete for a national championship. Basketball can
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #74
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
The fact is UC will never ever ever ever compete for a national championship. Basketball can
MDchick we did compete. Look a little deeper it's about the money football can generate.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #75
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
The decision has been made and it is not going to be reversed. Construction on the $86 million renovation of Nippert started a month and a half ago. All 18 luxury suites have been sold at $100,000 a year on 10 year leases generating $18 million of the construction cost. All of the loge boxes have been sold. All that remains are club seats at $5,000 a year for 2 seats. This project is paying for itself and generating excess revenue for the athletic department. It is a revenue generator not a revenue user.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #76
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We did compete. A few years ago we went undefeated and finished the regular season ranked number three. We were one play away from the national championship when Texas should have lost. One play way!! If there was a playoff then we would have been in it. So for u to say never ever ever ever is pretty ignorant
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #77
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We should've gone to the national championship game a few years ago, I guess you must not have been paying attention. UC has the luxury of being in a great area for recruiting and we have seen our talent improve dramatically in recent years. If we put money into Nippert and get into a new conference at some point, it helps both programs, whereas fixing up 5/3 only helps basketball. Also, UC doesn't need to get into the football national championship to bring in more money than basketball. If UC made a top tier bowl and had a great season, basketball could win a national championship and still bring in less money than football. Just look at what NTS said-UK football brings in more money than UK basketball. Even though I actually like basketball better, you can't say that basketball is the money maker or our best chance at a new conference.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #78
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
even if they somehow made it to a national championship game they would lose by 50. People come on this board and say how bad the Basketball teams schedule is, seriously! look at the football schedule when has UC football ever beaten a team even in the top 10 that wasn't a big east team, probably never. I'm sorry to tell you guys this but UC football is a joke if UC was in the SEC they might be able to beat Kentucky and Vanderbilt and that's about it.

Last edited by mdchick; 01-26-2014 at 11:32 AM.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #79
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
even if they somehow made it to a national championship game they would lose by 50. People come on this board and say how bad the Basketball teams schedule is, seriously! look at the football schedule when has UC football ever beaten a team even in the top 10 that wasn't a big east team, probably never. I'm sorry to tell you guys this but UC football is a joke if UC was in the SEC they might be able to beat Kentucky and Vanderbilt and that's about it.
mdchick,your missing the point. They have the ability to make a ton of money. They can pay the bills for the athletic program. Their earning potential far exceeds Basketball. This project will pay for itself. Even if they lose by 50 they still get paid.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #80
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This post is a joke. UC football over the past 10 years or so has been a great program
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote