Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #61
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
If you aren’t good, you aren’t going to look tough. If you win, you are. At the beginning of the year, I heard about how tough xavier was and how their culture was about toughness. Well, they are on the bubble again and might miss the tournament for the 4th year in a row. Culture and toughness is great thing to talk about but just be good at basketball.
My point is, you aren’t going to look tough if you are a bad team.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #62
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I know Cincinnati is all about toughness, but that just can't be the main goal. We've been as tough as anybody for 20 years. It has resulted in 2 sweet 16s in 20 years.

The game is evolving from beat you up in the lane and take your lunch money basketball. Now the game is all about skill and shooting.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:41 AM   #63
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
The Pippen kid is good but, give me 5 wide open 3's I'm going to knock them down too.
He was fouled on two of them, so I'm not sure I'd consider that wide open. I seem to remember another one being a step back that was pretty well defended. He's just a good player who had a hot shooting night.

The one where Diarra sprinted to the baseline and left him standing wide open was comical though. There was another play where I think Davenport shifted his feet to invite a drive to the baseline. But there was no defender anywhere near the baseline on that side of the basket, so it was an easy layup. Those two plays are our defense in a nutshell. Complete miscommunication and lack of awareness.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #64
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
The one where Diarra sprinted to the baseline and left him standing wide open was comical though. There was another play where I think Davenport shifted his feet to invite a drive to the baseline. But there was no defender anywhere near the baseline on that side of the basket, so it was an easy layup. Those two plays are our defense in a nutshell. Complete miscommunication and lack of awareness.

The Diarra one was hilarious. His decision to go triple team the ball 20 feet away and leave Pippen open was awesome.

Our guys look so uncomfortable on defense. They don't know how to help, they even seem unsure of where to stand when guarding off the ball.

There have been so many times lately when we clearly force the ball to one direction thinking there will be help, and everybody else has their back to the ball for an easy layup.

But the offensive movement is good and we are shooting 37.6% from 3 as a team our last 4 games (and 39.2% if you take out DeJulius' 0-4 in his last game with us).
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #65
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
The Diarra one was hilarious. His decision to go triple team the ball 20 feet away and leave Pippen open was awesome.

Our guys look so uncomfortable on defense. They don't know how to help, they even seem unsure of where to stand when guarding off the ball.

There have been so many times lately when we clearly force the ball to one direction thinking there will be help, and everybody else has their back to the ball for an easy layup.

But the offensive movement is good and we are shooting 37.6% from 3 as a team our last 4 games (and 39.2% if you take out DeJulius' 0-4 in his last game with us).
The helping on defense is the most alarming thing about the team. It has been for two years. I don’t know if it’s just the players or the system though. Because sometimes it’s look good when Vogt isn’t on the floor. Even with dou at the end of the year last year. So maybe it’s the players we have not being able to execute. I really don’t know but I know that simply not helping is never been a part of basketball but I’ve never seen players not helping as much as I have the last two years.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #66
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I know Cincinnati is all about toughness, but that just can't be the main goal. We've been as tough as anybody for 20 years. It has resulted in 2 sweet 16s in 20 years.

The game is evolving from beat you up in the lane and take your lunch money basketball. Now the game is all about skill and shooting.
This. Being tougher than the other team doesnt win games. Surprised people haven’t learned that the last 20 years.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #67
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
This. Being tougher than the other team doesnt win games. Surprised people haven’t learned that the last 20 years.
It's a combination of both. Basketball flow/IQ and toughness. And it appears we went from one extreme to the other.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #68
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
It's a combination of both. Basketball flow/IQ and toughness. And it appears we went from one extreme to the other.
We just aren’t good. We could be the toughest team in America this year and we still wouldn’t be good. Our players either aren’t good, Vogt dou, or not good yet. Our freshmen. We have 2 players that are decent most nights. Jd and Kieth and that’s just not enough
Old 03-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #69
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The helping on defense is the most alarming thing about the team. It has been for two years. I don’t know if it’s just the players or the system though.
I don't think it's the system, I think it's the execution. (1-3-1 is the system, I don't understand using that more than a few possessions per game). Poor execution can be the fault of players and coaches. Lack of practice would really hurt. Defensive assignments should be practiced over and over again until they are ingrained as reflexive and instinctual. If players have to think and weigh decisions, it's too late. That's true of any system. All of the problems are magnified with underclassmen who haven't practiced much due to this year's restrictions.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #70
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
We just aren’t good. We could be the toughest team in America this year and we still wouldn’t be good. Our players either aren’t good, Vogt dou, or not good yet. Our freshmen. We have 2 players that are decent most nights. Jd and Kieth and that’s just not enough
Agreed.. but when you aren't a good team things rely on toughness, grit... Manning up and defending guys. Boxing out. Etc.

We unfortunately don't do that at this point.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote