Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Mick Cronin needs some help

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...101/301110043/

Love him for his loyalty and his honesty. Just hope the higher ups can figure out a way to get him the help he needs. We have seen much debate over the last couple weeks on the Mick Cronin front. The overwhelming conclusion that I saw was that everyone just wants what is best for UC basketball. Whether that includes Mick Cronin or not I just really hope UC can rise to the playing field of the others in the region. No matter who the head coach is he will be at a disadvantage playing with that arena with that budget. I wish I could help more.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...101/301110043/

Love him for his loyalty and his honesty. Just hope the higher ups can figure out a way to get him the help he needs. We have seen much debate over the last couple weeks on the Mick Cronin front. The overwhelming conclusion that I saw was that everyone just wants what is best for UC basketball. Whether that includes Mick Cronin or not I just really hope UC can rise to the playing field of the others in the region. No matter who the head coach is he will be at a disadvantage playing with that arena with that budget. I wish I could help more.
Lol I posted this article on the Rutgers thread. I love Cronin and no other coach has done more with less IMO. I say this a lot when discussing money for a new arena. It drives me crazy that in Cincinnati, with so many fortune 500 companies we can't get any corporate support. Maybe I am missing something since I am no economics major. We are lucky to have a coach who LOVES being here and doesn't want to leave. I wish fans and the city would support it more.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
No matter who the head coach is he will be at a disadvantage playing with that arena with that budget.
Just imagine how much better the results could be if these weren't an issue. In terms of budget and facilities, we got left in the dust by our former CUSA foes. Louisville, Memphis, and Marquette all basically play in NBA arenas. Last year they spent a combined $33 million on basketball expenses. We didn't even top $6 million and spent less than freakin' TCU!

It's about time this program gets a better commitment from the fans and University.
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Good article. I will say it starts with media heads like Daugherty to bring the issue to the forefront. Cronin and Babcock need to start getting in the ears of the big corporations about getting some big time donations. They need a realistic plan to put a new arena on campus and they need to get funding in place quick. Get a plan together and sell the private boxes in advance like they did for football. USBank is not the answer. Part of me wonders if Cronin throws that out there to get UC fans in arms so they'll donate to build a new arena on campus.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I have said in the past that no matter what you think of Mick Cronin that he deserves respect for the foundation he has laid to be built upon. If he leaves tomorrow or in another 20 years he has the program in better shape than when he inherited it.

He deserves fan and city support for so many reasons. I could talk about coming here when nobody else would. I could talk about te mess he inerited and accepted because he loved the program and city or wanting to be here forever or many other things, but the bottom line is he has held up his end of the bargain and has done so with what was the second lowest budget in the Big East and against Hall of Fame coaches.

It IS time people support this coach and this program. He's overcome many many obstacles and has still won. The fan base and city support shouldn't be an obstacle. That should be a given for a winning coach and winning program.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Schedule better, keep your program in the Top 25, and win championships.....and they will come. Nobody will pay the high season ticket prices to watch 50% of the games against USC Upstate and North Idaho Downriver, not to mention the bottom feeders of the AAC.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
And yet it happens across town at X and all around UC. That argument does not hold water.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Schedule better, keep your program in the Top 25, and win championships.....and they will come. Nobody will pay the high season ticket prices to watch 50% of the games against USC Upstate and North Idaho Downriver, not to mention the bottom feeders of the AAC.
I've been curious to look this up so I did. The season we sold out the Shoe, our home games were Youngstown State, Mississippi Valley State, UW-Milwaukee, UNLV and Ohio and then the conference slate which had it's share of bottom feeders. We played some good competition on nuetral court games, but that doesn't sell seats to the Shoe. I get what you're saying about scheduling, but the truth is our scheduling isn't vastly different than any other program out there. We were winning then and had a buzz and that sold tickets. Fans bought into the program back then and it wasn't because of scheduling.

I'll be the first to argue that individual tickets and walk-up tickets will suffer when you play inferior competition. If you're the type of fan that will go to a handful of games, USC Upstate and the like aren't going to be the games you choose. Our problem is people aren't commited to the program. We need to sell more season tickets. You need a buzz to do that. Winning is step one. We have done that. Getting a regular ranking is step two. I think we'll get there. Bottom line is if we were to schedule two really good home teams every year (ranked teams or at least big names) I don't see that really prompting people to buy season tickets. There will always be conference bottom-feeders and always be the few buy-in games. We scheduled NC State this year and drew about 7,000. Game-time was a factor, but if that game doesn't get you excited it's not a scheduling issue. We're not going to scedule all ranked teams every year. If we did we wouldn't win, wouldn't be ranked and would be an afterthought to fans. Scheduling is an excuse plain and simple. If/when people commit to the program then they can afford to schedule better. Until then we have what we have. In year's past they bundled all conference games together and it didn't really sell a vast number of tickets and that was for Big East basketball. I just don't buy scheduling as a major issue for why we don't sell tickets.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I don't know why we are wasting money on our football program. To me our basketball program should come first, it's not like our football team could ever compete for a national championship, our basketball team could.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
SlamJam

SlamJam is on a distinguished road
Wasnt the football team a couple seconds (Texas Nebraska game) away from a NC game? Typically football brings in more money than basketball, not sure on UC numbers though. I'd rather basketball first, though.

Two feet behind the line...nothin' but twine.
SlamJam is offline   Reply With Quote