Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #661
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Cumberland is more athletic than he looks. I think his stocky build can fool you. He's not the shiftiest guy, but to my eyes he is at least as quick, if not quicker than Caupain and has as good of straight-line speed as anyone on the team. Not a great leaper, but he makes up for it with brutish strength and the ability to use his body and angles to finish. You don't need to have a 40-inch vertical when you can create separation between the ball and the defender.
Agreed. Being strong as an ox is part of "athleticism". Some guys are crazy quick, but will never be that strong. I'd go as far to say that Cumberland uses his strength much more than Evan's uses his quickness or bounce.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #662
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinecat View Post
Agreed. Being strong as an ox is part of "athleticism". Some guys are crazy quick, but will never be that strong. I'd go as far to say that Cumberland uses his strength much more than Evan's uses his quickness or bounce.
I think it's amazing how two highly talented players who essentially play the same position can be so different. Hopefully they are pushing each other in practice and learning from each other. There may not be any team in the country that has a better pair of wings.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #663
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
Cumberland reminds me a lot of Tom Kleinschmidt of DePaul in the early 90's,both 6'5 220 and fearless- aggressive and old school.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #664
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
If Cumberland or Evans gets in foul trouble and Keith Williams comes in don't expect a big drop-off. He is going to be a star player sooner than later. As always just my opinion.
If he is not far behind those two he will likely still be ahead of KJ so we should be just fine. Evans and Cumberland were both above 21 in PER (player efficiency rating) and KJ was at 11.2 last year (lowest on team outside of Q). Which, surprisingly, was BETTER than his soph and junior campaigns. As a frosh he had a higher PER (14.6) because he saw limited action (7 mpg). Williams won't be asked to do too much when he's on the court so with limited usage he could very well finish pretty decent in PER. I could see him getting around 15 mpg.

KJ played some solid D but it sounds like Williams is game on D as well. I like our chances
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #665
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If he is not far behind those two he will likely still be ahead of KJ so we should be just fine. Evans and Cumberland were both above 21 in PER (player efficiency rating) and KJ was at 11.2 last year (lowest on team outside of Q). Which, surprisingly, was BETTER than his soph and junior campaigns. As a frosh he had a higher PER (14.6) because he saw limited action (7 mpg). Williams won't be asked to do too much when he's on the court so with limited usage he could very well finish pretty decent in PER. I could see him getting around 15 mpg.

KJ played some solid D but it sounds like Williams is game on D as well. I like our chances
Going back 7 season on Sports Reference when I first can see Player Efficiency Ratings (PER)...we have had the following players over 20 in PER. Last year was the first time we had 4 guys with 19+ avg minutes per game above the 20 PER mark.

SK Sr year 26.2
Jackson Sr year 25.8
Clark Jr year 24.9
Clark So year 24.3
Washington Jr year 23.9
Gates Jr year 23.3
Ellis Jr year 23.0
Clark So year 22.9
Evans So year 22.8
SK Fr year 21.9
Cumberland Fr year 21.7
Ellis Sr year 21.4
Gates Sr year 20.7
SK Jr year 20.6
SK So year 20.4

Broome at Sacred Heart his last year there was at 20.7.

It is entirely possible to see 5 guys this year with 19+ mpg above 20 in PER considering Broome won't be asked to carry the load and be the sole focus of the defense. I don't see anyone else averaging 19+ mpg.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #666
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Going back 7 season on Sports Reference when I first can see Player Efficiency Ratings (PER)...we have had the following players over 20 in PER. Last year was the first time we had 4 guys with 19+ avg minutes per game above the 20 PER mark.

SK Sr year 26.2
Jackson Sr year 25.8
Clark Jr year 24.9
Clark So year 24.3
Washington Jr year 23.9
Gates Jr year 23.3
Ellis Jr year 23.0
Clark So year 22.9
Evans So year 22.8
SK Fr year 21.9
Cumberland Fr year 21.7
Ellis Sr year 21.4
Gates Sr year 20.7
SK Jr year 20.6
SK So year 20.4

Broome at Sacred Heart his last year there was at 20.7.

It is entirely possible to see 5 guys this year with 19+ mpg above 20 in PER considering Broome won't be asked to carry the load and be the sole focus of the defense. I don't see anyone else averaging 19+ mpg.
I would imagine I could have missed something but it's just for reference FYI kind of thing.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #667
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
5 guys with a 20 PER would be some high level stuff. I can't imagine too many teams have that on their roster.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #668
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
5 guys with a 20 PER would be some high level stuff. I can't imagine too many teams have that on their roster.
In fact last year was the first season we had more than 2 guys ranked above 20 in PER in the last 7 seasons at 19+ mpg...and we had 4.

To think we could possibly have 5 guys this year reaching that mark is why I would guess many of us are so optimistic. It should easily be the best offensive team we have ever had under Cronin...without a stinking doubt.

If we can continue to play D at a high level...it could be a special year. We could literally have 2-3 guys not shooting their best yet still have 2-3 other players carry us to a win. In the past if we had our best players going cold...we had problems. We had the defense to keep it close but a cold shooting night from our best guys could have been the difference in years past. Expecting 5 guys to go cold is another story all together. 1 or 2 going cold is a regular occurrence.

I actually would be interested to know if ANY team in the country had 5 guys who were above 20 PER in the starting lineup getting 19+ mpg. ANY!!
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #669
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
In fact last year was the first season we had more than 2 guys ranked above 20 in PER in the last 7 seasons at 19+ mpg...and we had 4.

To think we could possibly have 5 guys this year reaching that mark is why I would guess many of us are so optimistic. It should easily be the best offensive team we have ever had under Cronin...without a stinking doubt.

If we can continue to play D at a high level...it could be a special year. We could literally have 2-3 guys not shooting their best yet still have 2-3 other players carry us to a win. In the past if we had our best players going cold...we had problems. We had the defense to keep it close but a cold shooting night from our best guys could have been the difference in years past. Expecting 5 guys to go cold is another story all together. 1 or 2 going cold is a regular occurrence.

I actually would be interested to know if ANY team in the country had 5 guys who were above 20 PER in the starting lineup getting 19+ mpg. ANY!!
Last year...SMU did not. WSU did not. NC did not. Duke did not. Gonzaga did not. Oregon did not. Kansas did not. Arizona did not. KY did not. Villanova did not.

Yes...some of these teams may have had some elite players better than ours but 1-5 they didn't have five 20+ PER guys getting 19+ minutes as far as I can tell.

Bottom line is...we are solid and we are versatile. We may not have 1 player who can absolutely take over a game but we might have 5 who can have a shot to help beat you on any given night.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #670
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Any word on Quadri Moore?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote