Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Goebel has The Power..

When John Goebel arrived at UC, he was viewed as the speed back in Mark Dantonio's power running game offense.

Among the group of power backs like Bradley Glatthaar, Greg Moore and Butler Benton, Goebel was the little guy who was supposed to change the pace.

Funny how things change. Now, four years later in the spread system created under Brian Kelly and evolving under Butch Jones, Goebel is now the power back. At 215 pounds, he is the thickest rusher in the UC backfield.

Isaiah Pead is the speed demon at 195 pounds and Darrin Williams, well, he's 5-foot-6.

The new concept and role didn't really hit Goebel until one of the first of this year's spring practices.

"Pead and I usually rotated every two plays - I kept getting third downs," Goebel said. "Every time he kept getting first and second and it was third-and-1, I forgot Jake Ramsey is not here. I had to plow it in there for the first down. Jake is 230, he was good for that. Now that is me."

Goebel played a role his freshman season with 133 carries for 607 yards. Last year a combination of injuries and the success of Pead kept him from returning to his contributing role.

Unfortunately, the injury bug bit again. He incurred a foot sprain over the weekend and, while it is not serious, his status is up in the air for Saturday's spring game.

"It sucks," Goebel said. "I was doing my best trying to stay injury-free. It is nothing serious, though."

Staying healthy could be the key to becoming a major contributor once again. If he is going to do so, he knows that means crisping up his pass blocking techniques and hitting the weight room hard this summer.

"Coach Lawson does a different type of workout, I like it," Goebel said. "I enjoy how he is pushing us. I had a broken hand last year and wasn't able to lift the way I wanted to. Coming from Michigan, we had a weightlifting program that was always something I enjoyed."

His goal is to get to 220 pounds by the time the fall season comes along. While he may be changing into a power guy to fit this system, it doesn't mean Goebel won't always be the speed guy at heart.

"I may not look very fast, but I ran a 4.41 40 my freshman year," Goebel said. "(Pead), I don't race him. He is a track guy. I don't ever claim to be the fast guy. It is a different speed with all pads on and ball in your hands. I just hope I can be that fast when I am in there."

http://cnati.com/blogs/paul/2010/04/...on-sort-of.php
swg is offline   Reply With Quote