Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 12-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Munchie vs Gunner - 2014

I know we still have a bowl game ahead of us, but I'm very excited for the future of our program and was curious what everyone thinks about the QB position for next year. You've got the possibility of Munchie getting this season redshirted and coming back to compete for the job next year. You've also got prodigy and 5-star recruit Gunner Kiel. You've also got athletic QB Bennie Coney.

Who do you go with? Who do you think Tuberville goes with? Do you think Munchie even gets this season redshirted? Any chance for Coney?

I personally think you have to go with Gunner, even if Munchie can come back. Our school has never had a prized recruit like Gunner. He's already projected as the 3rd best QB in the 2017 draft class (probably 2nd, as Winston is ahead of him and will likely leave next year). Munchie can come in on some random scramble plays every once in a while, but I think it'd be a huge mistake to not let Gunner start from Day 1. He's had this entire season to learn.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
With out an absolute doubt...Gunner Kiel will and should be the starter.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
With out an absolute doubt...Gunner Kiel will and should be the starter.
I think and hope you're right. I only asked because I thought Kay was a shoe-in to start this year, but didn't until Munchie went down. That might have been due to Kay being "90% healthy" as Tuberville described it, but it might not have, not sure.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
Hard to say about whether Munchie will get a medical redshirt. Trying to understand how the NCAA makes decisions is beyond me.

Hopefully, someone separates from the pack in Spring practice. Gunner's probably the defacto front-runner at this point.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
I think it will be Gunner vs. Coney. The NCAA is far too incompetent to give Munchie another year. I wouldn't discount Coney because he was a pretty highly rated recruit also. Plus, he probably has better running ability than Gunner has. If they go with Gunner, they must stay in the spread, as I think it will be far more effective than the awful pro-style that we ran earlier in the year.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Munchie will likely get another year and he will start. As much as I like him as a person, it will suck.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Munchie will likely get another year and he will start. As much as I like him as a person, it will suck.
He will get another year but he won't start. He wouldn't have started this year if Kay had been healthy during camp.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
I don't know why everyone likes Munchie so much. He's not accurate , and when he runs, he looks like he's running scared (not aggressive). Gunner will have to prove himself. Coney sure hasn't displayed anything to impress.
On a side note, Bridgewater looked like he was trying to throw the last TD pass away. Some people are lucky.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I believe he will be asking for a fifth year with the redshirt. If that's the case he should be given a medical redshirt. I know perception is the NCAA hates UC or whatever but reality is injuries like his are pretty cut and dry. The rule from what I understand is if you miss up to 10% of the season you can be granted a redshirt. He played a game and a half out of 13. I would venture to guess that the NCAA will view it as he played one game as he didn't finish a second game. There's no question as to if the injury was enough to keep him out of action. I would be surprised if he's not given a redshirt. Now, if he were seeking a sixth season then I would say his chances could be tough. Usually the only time you get a sixth year is if you missed two years due to injury, they don't typically grant one if you sat out a year voluntarily (freshman redshirting or sitting out a year due to a transfer). I'm fairly certain he's seeking a fifth year, so he should be good.

As far as him starting, I say the only way he starts is if Gunner just doesn't look good. I think he'll get Munchie will get a fair shake at it, but if Gunner is as good as hyped I see no way Munchie beats him out. I wouldn't be surprised to see Munchie take over Luallen's role next year.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I believe he will be asking for a fifth year with the redshirt. If that's the case he should be given a medical redshirt. I know perception is the NCAA hates UC or whatever but reality is injuries like his are pretty cut and dry. The rule from what I understand is if you miss up to 10% of the season you can be granted a redshirt. He played a game and a half out of 13. I would venture to guess that the NCAA will view it as he played one game as he didn't finish a second game. There's no question as to if the injury was enough to keep him out of action. I would be surprised if he's not given a redshirt. Now, if he were seeking a sixth season then I would say his chances could be tough. Usually the only time you get a sixth year is if you missed two years due to injury, they don't typically grant one if you sat out a year voluntarily (freshman redshirting or sitting out a year due to a transfer). I'm fairly certain he's seeking a fifth year, so he should be good.

As far as him starting, I say the only way he starts is if Gunner just doesn't look good. I think he'll get Munchie will get a fair shake at it, but if Gunner is as good as hyped I see no way Munchie beats him out. I wouldn't be surprised to see Munchie take over Luallen's role next year.

I guarantee you'll NEVER see Munchie running a wildcat up the middle.
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote