Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 11-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I know you're joking, but even if Fickell turns out to be a bad hire it has nothing to do with Tubervile being horrible. He really set this program back. He failed miserably recruiting, especially considering he refused to recruit his back yard, the #5 ranked recruiting area in the nation. And worse off he blamed the fans and refused to take any blame himself. At least Fickell is taking responsibility as of now.
We need to give Fickell a chance. Agree
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Anyone who's reasonable had to have pretty low expectations for what this team would accomplish this season. I felt that we'd probably end up somewhere in the 4-6 win range and had mentally prepared myself for this season being a wash.

Prior to the start of games what I was most interested in seeing was how this staff would coach. Fickell and staff clearly have upped the bar in terms of recruiting and it's going to take some time to see that pay off on the field. Fickell spoke a lot early on about having an aggressive defense and being the best tackling team in our conference despite the talent on the roster. Given that our defense has been rather awful since early in the Kelly days I was kind of looking forward to seeing a noticeable improvement in technique and scheme on that side of the football.

After watching us play this season I have to say it's been a total loss. We're poorly coached and very poorly disciplined. There's a big difference between going 4-8 or 5-7 and looking good doing it and what we've seen from the team this year. Even if we win on Saturday and achieve a 4-8 record I don't see how this season is anything but a complete loss for the program. Obviously you have to give Fickell more time and clearly his recruiting should improve the talent base on the roster but you have to be concerned about how this team has been coached this season. College football is littered with washed up HC's who knew how to recruit but couldn't translate that into winning, let's hope Fickell doesn't eventually join that long list.

In the spirit of optimism I'm going to chalk it up to having a lot of first time guys on the staff. Hopefully the staff works hard in the off season to correct of lot of the mistakes and we come out next season with some noticeable improvements to both the talent and the coaching schemes. Three years from now when we're preparing for an AAC Championship game let's hope we can look back at this season as a learning experience for a first time HC and his staff.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
I understand what you are saying about coaching, but you will find that coaching skills are directly proportional to the skill of the players. Recruiting is the name of the game, and then the skills of the assistants. I believe the skills of the players will be better. No coach wants to fail. The Bearcats will be back in a couple years--it takes time to build the program and depth.
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote