Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #101
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
The issue is that you can't give Brooks more minutes most games due to foul trouble. I believe Scott is capable of better play, especially considering he is in his 4th year in the program.
I think Brooks is the type of player you can keep on the floor with foul trouble because he isn't a crucial piece in the last few minutes. I would rather he play as many minutes as possible even if he does happen to foul out and miss the last few minutes sometimes. He has only fouled out twice all year.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #102
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think Brooks is the type of player you can keep on the floor with foul trouble because he isn't a crucial piece in the last few minutes. I would rather he play as many minutes as possible even if he does happen to foul out and miss the last few minutes sometimes. He has only fouled out twice all year.
Good point! I did not think I would be saying this at the beginning of the season but I want Brooks on the floor more than I want Scott on the floor at this point. I know we need both of them but I think Brooks is becoming more valuable. He is improving or has improved from the beginning of the year and Scott has not. He always looks engaged out there whereas Scott seems to disappear from time to time.

Also at the beginning of the year I thought Brooks was only a limited back to the basket guy and not very good at that. It turns out he has a nice shooting touch from mid range and short range in the turn and face game. He hasn't done much of that but his shot looks decent. He's at 46% on 2 point shots not at the rim which is better than Scott's 39%.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #103
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I believe Scott is capable of better play, especially considering he is in his 4th year in the program.
If not, he may be a guy that sees his minutes decrease his senior year, which would be unfortunate. Diarra and Prince are going to be knocking on the door and Tre hasn't really came out and proven that he needs to be on the floor.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #104
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If Brooks fouled out at Wichita last year and was not in the game the last possession UC probably loses. He guarded Frankamp's final shot and then was in position to block putback. I think he is a defensive piece that Mick wants to have the option to use down the stretch for D and rebounding.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #105
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If Brooks fouled out at Wichita last year and was not in the game the last possession UC probably loses. He guarded Frankamp's final shot and then was in position to block putback. I think he is a defensive piece that Mick wants to have the option to use down the stretch for D and rebounding.
Brooks was a situational player last year, not a starter playing significant minutes. He was almost never in foul trouble that resulted in benching him. He didn't foul out at all last year. In the Wichita game he only had one foul and played only eight minutes. My point is that last year there was no trade off between having Brooks on the floor for the most minutes vs available in crunch time. We could always afford to save him for crunch time because he wasn't a significant contributor for the bulk of the game.

The question is do we bench Brooks with 3 or 4 fouls in the second half on our current squad? I don't think so. What he did for us in that Wichita game he can do for us whenever he's on the floor. I'd rather he do that for 5 extra minutes in the second half than save him for one minute at the end. Scoring ability is his main advantage over Nsoseme, and that's mostly negated in the last couple minutes. We almost never try to score in the post in the last couple minutes, instead opting for iso sets.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #106
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Brooks was a situational player last year, not a starter playing significant minutes. He was almost never in foul trouble that resulted in benching him. He didn't foul out at all last year. In the Wichita game he only had one foul and played only eight minutes. My point is that last year there was no trade off between having Brooks on the floor for the most minutes vs available in crunch time. We could always afford to save him for crunch time because he wasn't a significant contributor for the bulk of the game.

The question is do we bench Brooks with 3 or 4 fouls in the second half on our current squad? I don't think so. What he did for us in that Wichita game he can do for us whenever he's on the floor. I'd rather he do that for 5 extra minutes in the second half than save him for one minute at the end. Scoring ability is his main advantage over Nsoseme, and that's mostly negated in the last couple minutes. We almost never try to score in the post in the last couple minutes, instead opting for iso sets.

I really love the hustle of Nsoseme, he gives you literally everything he has when he is on the floor, like you said the downside to having him out there is his lack of ability to score. I think Brooks is a very important piece to the lineup even though he is usually very soft at finishing contested shots around the rim. I understand Nsoseme had an ankle issue against Houston and I am not going to sit here and act like I know how to coach but having Fredericks in the game absolutely kills us when he is playing the 4 and Scott is playing the 5 making us very small. I don't want to sit here and bash Fredericks, he plays with amazing hustle but his skill set is very limited at this level. With that being said I think we need brooks on the floor more than people realize
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #107
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Justin Berg
‏ @BergieNights
3h3 hours ago

Rashawn Fredericks on #Bearcats recent 2-game road trip:

On Floor: 42 possessions, 1.10 pts per poss. scored, 0.86 ppp allowed

Off Floor: 89 possessions, 0.91 pts per poss scored, 1.03 ppp allowed

Only player w/ positive net on both ends per http://hooplens.com
Old 02-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #108
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Who predicted these numbers for conference play

Broome - 90

Assists
Jenifer - 21
Broome - 29

Turnovers
Jenifer - 10
Broome - 10
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #109
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Who predicted these numbers for conference play

Broome - 90

Assists
Jenifer - 21
Broome - 29

Turnovers
Jenifer - 10
Broome - 10
Really thought Cane was going to be somewhat of a juggernaut on offense this year. I thought Cumberland was going to be the primary focal point of defenses and find it hard to score. And he is the focal point...but the dominance of Cumberland has put the need for Cane in check. The rise of Williams has not helped his chances either. The shot making of Jenifer has further hindered his role. Who saw all that coming?

I fully believed Cane would be #2 on the team in scoring this year. The conference assist to turnover rate is surprising. Cane seems to have bought into ball security. And now that Jenifer has cemented his role...maybe he doesn't feel like he will be yanked as quickly.

Jenifer hasn't show the ability to get through an aggressive front line defense. I still think we are going to need Cane in games like that which will probably increase as we get into March. Hope Cane has a nice swan song at UC. I hope they all do of course.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #110
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
I don't think its really fair to categorize Cane as a disappointment in his two years here. He averaged 23.3 points a game at Sacred Heart in a very very weak conference on a very bad team. His team finished 12-18 in the NEC where the best team was Wagner. He did win conference player of the year which is impressive but some fans are kind of delusional if they really thought he would carry that over to Cincinnati playing against much better competition. It is not like the Kyle Washington who came from the ACC. Sacred Heart played UConn his last season there and they obviously lost big but Cane went 3-16 with 7 points, 2 assists and 2 turnovers. I never expected him to come in and be this huge offensive point scorer because he wasn't going to be able to shoot the ball 25 times a game like at Sacred Heart. Cane has come in and done exactly was he was supposed to do. Has he been frustrating at times? Absolutely he has, but I don't think that discredits how much he has improved since he got here. It sucks we only had him for two years but I am looking forward to having him down the stretch when we get into March.

Last edited by cincyalum2014; 02-15-2019 at 02:47 PM.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote