Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #1261
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I do feel like This puts a lot more pressure on John Brannen to have a good first season.

If Jarron had left, pretty much no reasonable person would expect him to win in year 1.

However now with Jarron back, but also the other top 2 scorers, the pressure is amped a lot to not only compete for a league title but make some noise in the tourney. I’m not sure if it’s fair or not, but there will be pressure
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #1262
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I do feel like This puts a lot more pressure on John Brannen to have a good first season.

If Jarron had left, pretty much no reasonable person would expect him to win in year 1.

However now with Jarron back, but also the other top 2 scorers, the pressure is amped a lot to not only compete for a league title but make some noise in the tourney. I’m not sure if it’s fair or not, but there will be pressure
Totally NOT fair...UNLESS there are more pieces to this puzzle.
Expecting the same or better after losing the starting PG, C, backup F, an over 20 min/game off guard and heir apparent PG, the Mr. Ohio hs player is a little much...unless there are additions that make up for the loss (at least in #'s of bodies)
Maybe Davenport will be awesome, & Toyambi a stud, Hardnett a surprise etc...but most of those guys were going to be here anyway
Time will tell, but I'd like to see at least 2 additions that can have an impact...& one of them better be a point guard
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #1263
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
Expecting the same or better after losing the starting PG, C, backup F, an over 20 min/game off guard and heir apparent PG, the Mr. Ohio hs player is a little much...unless there are additions that make up for the loss (at least in #'s of bodies)
Maybe Davenport will be awesome, & Toyambi a stud, Hardnett a surprise etc...but most of those guys were going to be here anyway
Time will tell, but I'd like to see at least 2 additions that can have an impact...& one of them better be a point guard
I agree with you both. I think a lot of fans don't pay much attention and are going to see Cumberland back = tournament team or better. But the reality is, with our current lineup we'd be lucky to make the tournament.

As you say, we lost a lost a lot and Cumberland coming back doesn't cover for it all. Best case scenario we still need at minimum a starting PG (preferably a veteran one) and a backup center. If guys don't develop quickly (Diarra specifically) we need a starting center and a backup SG in addition to a PG.

I'm hoping we manage to bring in 2/3 of Mika Adams-Woods, Jaevin Cumberland and Charles Coleman. That would make us a clear tournament team. With our current lineup I'd say we'd be a bubble team and likely outside looking in.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #1264
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
I’m assuming the addition of Jaevin
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #1265
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think we need more pieces to compete for a league championship. Still don’t even have a full roster. It will still be hard to compete with Memphis’ talent. They will come in waves. With both Cumberland’s and a big man I think we should’ve top 3. Which could be a really fun year.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #1266
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
If laquill or prince can give us anything, that would greatly help. I have no idea what they are.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #1267
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Plug Jaevin in and my expectations go up another notch. From tournament possibilities to tournament expectations. Both Cumberland’s can play a little PG and SG.

That would really be ideal for us. Anything else is a bonus!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #1268
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
If laquill or prince can give us anything, that would greatly help. I have no idea what they are.
And we can’t sleep on Diara. He seems like a nice fit. We have options. We still need another ball handler at a minimum but if we didn’t get another big I would not be too discouraged.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #1269
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cumberland returning is Major. Hopefully he can take the next step which I believe he should. Keith is the ex factor has been since last yr. Hardnett is a talented individual and I was really excited when we acquired him, I really feel like he'll surprise some ppl just interested in how these guys respond to Brannen, how they respect him and how much he can get out of them. Honestly feel like we will miss nsoseme toughness. He practically did everything but score and shot block. There's so much talk about diarra and what he could be but nsoseme has the body, hustle and grit to contribute with the little things. Wish he would have stayed. Will be looking forward town the senior leadership of Scott and Cumberland. We have a big 3 with not much of a bench but like I've said before that's really brannens fault of his own more than anything. With an improved Scott, Cumberland and Kieth Williams we should make the tourney in this conference really with no excuses. There are no passes Brannnen is supposed to be an upgrade in coaching right?
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #1270
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Coleman has apparently chosen East Carolina. Staying close to home, in a place he can play right away
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote