Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2014 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #991
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Are we even still on his list? If not why are we debating whether we should take him or not? It's probably just as likely SK will get another year of eligibility.
Yes everyone is still on his list he has not cut his list yet.
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #992
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcatboy View Post
Yes everyone is still on his list he has not cut his list yet.
OK carry on...LOL!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #993
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
In my opinion Mason is the type of guy you bring in to a team that is primed to win and might be one player away. Or to a team that has a serious need at his position. I don't think he would be a good fit here because we are in a rebuilding year and need to let players play and develop for the long term. Would he probably be a better option than whatever we have at his position? Yes. Is the chance his playing time sets back a couple other players developments? Yes. My point is he would probably make our team better for one year but would he be enough to make us an elite team? That I don't know but probably not. To bring him in and give him the 35 minutes a game or so that his game might would command would mean KJ, Cobb and/or Mormon all lose a year to really develop. Plus the Caupain/Guyn split for time doesn't push out to the 2 position if it needs to. I think we would be naive to think he wouldn't make our team better, but without him I think our team will be much better for the 2015/16 season. At this point I think we eat the last scholarship. If we brought in a fifth year guy I think it would've needed to be someone at the 3 position if only to light a fire under Shaq's behind or as a better option at the 3 if Shaq continues to be Shaq.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #994
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
In my opinion Mason is the type of guy you bring in to a team that is primed to win and might be one player away. Or to a team that has a serious need at his position. I don't think he would be a good fit here because we are in a rebuilding year and need to let players play and develop for the long term. Would he probably be a better option than whatever we have at his position? Yes. Is the chance his playing time sets back a couple other players developments? Yes. My point is he would probably make our team better for one year but would he be enough to make us an elite team? That I don't know but probably not. To bring him in and give him the 35 minutes a game or so that his game might would command would mean KJ, Cobb and/or Mormon all lose a year to really develop. Plus the Caupain/Guyn split for time doesn't push out to the 2 position if it needs to. I think we would be naive to think he wouldn't make our team better, but without him I think our team will be much better for the 2015/16 season. At this point I think we eat the last scholarship. If we brought in a fifth year guy I think it would've needed to be someone at the 3 position if only to light a fire under Shaq's behind or as a better option at the 3 if Shaq continues to be Shaq.
Then do you also think Cobb, DeBerry, and Ellis should get little to no playing time so they don't set back the development of our younger, more-promising players?
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #995
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat04 View Post
Then do you also think Cobb, DeBerry, and Ellis should get little to no playing time so they don't set back the development of our younger, more-promising players?
I was thinking samething. If we could get 5* player for one year do we pass on him for development of younger guys?
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #996
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
I was thinking samething. If we could get 5* player for one year do we pass on him for development of younger guys?
No we get him and win a national championship I would never say hey let's pass on a 5 star kid to develop are younger players are you guys serious?
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #997
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
No we get him and win a national championship I would never say hey let's pass on a 5 star kid to develop are younger players are you guys serious?
yes their totally serious. Only in Cincinnati
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #998
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Who said anything about turning down a 5* kid? This guy played at Niagara and was a volume shooter. He wants to go to a place that will give him the majority of the shots. Im not sure we want to give that kind of freedom to a guy who is simply looking to make a name for himself. He is a good player but lets not all act like we would be passing on Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #999
BearcatNation54

BearcatNation54 is on a distinguished road
Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 27s
Xavier transfer Justin Martin announces he has committed to SMU.
BearcatNation54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #1000
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat04 View Post
DeBerry and Ellis both come in at a postion where we have absolutley zero returning players. Zero. I guess you either missed my point or are trying to be smart. Also jucos are brought in with a different mentality. They usually are brought in at a position where there is no depth and you need more immediate help than what an incoming freshman will bring. Jucos don't come in expecting to start, whereas Mason doesn't come here unless he's guaranteed to get his points and minutes. Mick won't do that even if reality dictates it will happen. We already added a juco in Cobb into the mix at the two spot. To add a guy that will play the majority of the minutes at a position where we already have three or four guys for is a completely different scenario. It could be argued that Cobb was brought in to replace Guyn after he leaves and give way to KJ when he becomes a senior. I honestly don't think Cobb starts next year unless he is just too good not to. If thats the case then great, but he was brought in to add to the mix.