Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #1161
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I look at 2020 radar guys and offers and I see similar type players. Other than Loveday who would be a no brainer. Kalkbrenner, Hugely. Slowish plodding 5's who don't really shoot 3's. Maybe Hugely can.

Seems like a trend but I guess we shall see. I don't mind having a scoring presence in the paint...but at what cost to tempo, defense and full court play?
We've also offered Charles Coleman for this year, though it seems very unlikely we will get him.

After the top guys pass on us though, Cronin went for athletes with undeveloped basketball skills, but with a very high ceiling. Brannen's backup plan seems to be to go for bigs who are farther along in basketball development, but with a lot lower ceiling.

I guess it's the fewer projects that a lot of people wanted, but it is hard to see how these guys would help us in an up tempo offense/defense. Maybe Brannen is going to pull a Cronin and talk about being an up-tempo team but not actually follow through?
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #1162
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
His FR year he average more RB's, fewer TO's, more AST and fewer PF's. That is not much better. Much better is improvement across the board, not improvement in 50% of the game and a decline in the other 50%.

I'm not disagreeing that an ankle injury can hamper. But why would an injury mostly hamper ORB% and TOV%? If he was injured I would expect a drop in stats across the board, not the odd improvement in some areas and decline in others that occurred in both his SO and JR years.

you're looking at averages for points and rebounds instead of how efficient he was when used. he played more as a freshman than a sophomore because Smits' minutes increased a great deal from his freshman to sophomore year.

he was undoubtedly a far better offensive player as a SO compared to his freshman year. on basically every single stat outside of turnovers. his usage was up, his ORTG was up, eFG up, TS% up, OR% up, FTR up, FT% up, 2 point % up. pretty big jumps up in shooting percentages too.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #1163
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We've also offered Charles Coleman for this year, though it seems very unlikely we will get him.

After the top guys pass on us though, Cronin went for athletes with undeveloped basketball skills, but with a very high ceiling. Brannen's backup plan seems to be to go for bigs who are farther along in basketball development, but with a lot lower ceiling.

I guess it's the fewer projects that a lot of people wanted, but it is hard to see how these guys would help us in an up tempo offense/defense. Maybe Brannen is going to pull a Cronin and talk about being an up-tempo team but not actually follow through?
I think everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Brannen will have a plan heading into AAC play, but this is a grind it out defensive first league, he will become reactionary once he plays a team like Houston or UCONN. You can't be soft and be successful in this league. To me Temple, hasn't hit its ceiling the last few years because they had guys who were too finesse and not enough grit.

Brannen will need to play a hybrid style of defensive grit and offensive freedom.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #1164
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
At this late stage I wouldn't mind landing him. Just to fill a role.

yeah just to give us a body and somebody that can collect some fouls. he's just a 1 year rental and im sure we can get some sort of use out of him, even if its to hack 5 times a game.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #1165
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:

i think its pretty clear brannen is just trying to get a roster filled out. he's going to take what he can get and probably try to coach a style that fits to his players needs.

i would like to see an identity from his recruiting starting with his next class, this one is just get who you can.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #1166
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Speaking of Tre Scott.

I think he is due for an insanely great breakout season next year.

Like I think he could be an all conference player.

he is Gary Clark lite and his Senior year, might see him being more like Gary Clark, the full flavor
The problem is we don't have guard depth either for a guard oriented offense. If Scott plays the 5, that means a freshman (Prince/Hardnett/Davenport) is going to be taking Diarra's minutes. I'm thinking/hoping that Diarra is farther along in development then the others.

I agree on Scott, I said last year that he has pro-potential and I still believe that. He needs to get better off the dribble and more reliable at 3-point shooting and Brannen may be the perfect guy to help him improve those skills. If he does I could see him being all conference.

Our big 3 - Cumberland (assuming he returns), Scott, Williams - look very good for next year. It's the other positions and the backups that I'm worried about. 3 guys can only do so much.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #1167
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Speaking of Tre Scott.

I think he is due for an insanely great breakout season next year.

Like I think he could be an all conference player.

he is Gary Clark lite and his Senior year, might see him being more like Gary Clark, the full flavor

if we can get some guys to spread the floor and force teams to extend their defense to the 3 point line it should open things up for him.

if we go worst case and have no shooters, its just gonna be tough on everybody.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #1168
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i think its pretty clear brannen is just trying to get a roster filled out. he's going to take what he can get and probably try to coach a style that fits to his players needs.

i would like to see an identity from his recruiting starting with his next class, this one is just get who you can.
I suppose it is too early to say until we see who we actually end up with.

Sorrola could just be filling out the roster, Vogt could just be bringing in a role-player familiar with Brannen's system. But Kalkbrenner would be a freshman and would make it seem more like a trend.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, there are plenty of upper level teams that succeed with the big plodding center. It would definitely be a change from Cronin (I find it hard to imagine Cronin offering any of the above mentioned guys). But it is hard to see how they'd fit into the fast paced pressure offense/defense that Brannen talked about.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #1169
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The problem is we don't have guard depth either for a guard oriented offense. If Scott plays the 5, that means a freshman (Prince/Hardnett/Davenport) is going to be taking Diarra's minutes. I'm thinking/hoping that Diarra is farther along in development then the others.

I agree on Scott, I said last year that he has pro-potential and I still believe that. He needs to get better off the dribble and more reliable at 3-point shooting and Brannen may be the perfect guy to help him improve those skills. If he does I could see him being all conference.

Our big 3 - Cumberland (assuming he returns), Scott, Williams - look very good for next year. It's the other positions and the backups that I'm worried about. 3 guys can only do so much.
Sure.. But Im just going on the assumption that Jarron returns, brings his cousin and then we add another PG/CG.

Adding 2 guards would help us.. But our starters are going to have to give us 30 min a game., We just have so much inexperience on the bench
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #1170
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

If I didn't know any better (which I don't) it would seem Brannen prefers the 7 footer who can play back to basket and score in the paint. Obvioulsy he would (or any coach would) prefer the player can also step out and make a 3 and guard multiple positions but we are talking about very heavy competition there. At a minimum for the slow plodding 5 to work...they MUST be able to score in the paint with some regularity...or they kill your perimeter game.

So it looks as though we are leaning towards a team that is maybe 4 out 1 in with a traditional back to the basket big and 4 perimeter players. A guy who likely can't shoot 3's and guard multiple positions. They would have to be very efficient when they get the ball inside for it to work.

Unless Brannen is a better recruiter than we think and can land the multi talented guys like Loveday if given the time to build relationships. That is easier said than done...so the identity you are talking about would seem to start with a traditional 7' back to basket guy who has some post moves.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote