AntonySilva

AntonySilva is on a distinguished road
I hope this pandemic is over and stop influencing sports events so much
AntonySilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #92
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Jon Rothstein reported we'll be participating in a MTE in Indianapolis with Loyola-Chicago and Duquesne. No date announced yet. Looks like they're still searching for a 4th team.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #93
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Sounds like we have a couple of injury issues with Lakhin and Harvey. Lakhin is already on a late start so I would expect he is going to be gunning for getting worked in the lineup next season. Harvey, I hope is getting healthy as it seemed to me he was looking much more explosive in some early vids.

For the bigs I am going to change my predictions just a little

Vogt 25 minutes
Dou 15
Rap 25 minutes
Eason 10
Davenport 5
Lakhin next to 0

MAW could start the season with the setback to Harvey but I think Harvey will at least be the primary replacement for Keith and MAW which gives him plenty of opportunity to log 20 minutes or more. I expect Keith to get 30 minutes and MAW along the lines of 20. Harvey should be able to get in there with 20+ if he's healthy and improved. He could end up starting when fully healthy.

Of the veterans I am most interested to see what Harvey will provide this year over last. It's easier to figure out expectations for the other vets. Obviously interested to see all the new comers and not sure what to expect from them just yet. Harvey seems to fit in this category.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #94
waterhead
Senior Moderator

From what I am gathering...

Dejulius seems like an absolute lock for PG and Saunders seems like he could be first back up before MAW...although I could see MAW working in there if the frosh is over his head.

We have Vogt and Keith who seem to be locked in as veterans.

I can't imagine that Rap is not locked in at the 4 right now.

If healthy I think Harvey takes care of most of the minutes with Williams and MAW on the wing.

So all that is left is who is picking up the scraps IMO. There are some bigger scraps out there than others I guess but I can't see more than 10 minutes (Eason or Saunders) going to anyone else right now especially if we run 12 guys out there early on. Madsens and Davenport seem to be role players for the time being. Shooting sparks or emotional/defensive sparks etc.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #95
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I continue to believe that Diarra will become our top minutes big man, I also think that Eason is not as ready as many seem to think (partially based on some comments by Brannen). Unless one of them improves significantly on defense then Rap/Vogt combo is going to be a huge liability on the defensive end and neither is a great rebounder. Meanwhile, Brannen stated Diarra has really started to understand the system now and grades out as an excellent defender in practice - especially at ball screens, a particular weakness in Vogt's games. With his offensive rebounding and three point shooting Diarra is not exactly a liability on offense either.

We have consistently seen that stars at low levels have a hard time breaking the starting lineup at a higher level. I don't expect that trend to change with Rap, his defense is going to become a bigger issue -especially if he is at the 4 with Vogt at the 5 - and he will struggle being defended by better athletes. I expect him to have some good games, but much like Vogt he may become difficult to play when he struggles on offense. Unlike Vogt, his offensive game seems likely to be more streaky.

My minutes predictions for bigs are.

Diarra 25
Vogt 20
Rap 20
Davenport 10
Eason 5
Lahkin near 0
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #96
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I continue to believe that Diarra will become our top minutes big man, I also think that Eason is not as ready as many seem to think (partially based on some comments by Brannen). Unless one of them improves significantly on defense then Rap/Vogt combo is going to be a huge liability on the defensive end and neither is a great rebounder. Meanwhile, Brannen stated Diarra has really started to understand the system now and grades out as an excellent defender in practice - especially at ball screens, a particular weakness in Vogt's games. With his offensive rebounding and three point shooting Diarra is not exactly a liability on offense either.

We have consistently seen that stars at low levels have a hard time breaking the starting lineup at a higher level. I don't expect that trend to change with Rap, his defense is going to become a bigger issue -especially if he is at the 4 with Vogt at the 5 - and he will struggle being defended by better athletes. I expect him to have some good games, but much like Vogt he may become difficult to play when he struggles on offense. Unlike Vogt, his offensive game seems likely to be more streaky.

My minutes predictions for bigs are.

Diarra 25
Vogt 20
Rap 20
Davenport 10
Eason 5
Lahkin near 0
There are a lot of minutes at the 4 and 5 even if Vogt and Rap get 25. There are still 30 left over. If Eason isn't ready a good chunk of that will go to Dou. If he proves his worth he could end up getting the most. He has some assets that will give him a good shot. Rebounding, perimeter D, and a 3 ball.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #97
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I think we are all a little worried about having a lot of frosh on the team. Although they offer a lot of future upside it will take a while to learn the system especially in a Covid year. This is not a hot take of course. The bright side...

In the front court we have 3 bigs with experience either in the system or experience in general. They can handle 85% of the minutes or more if need be at the 4 and 5 spots. If we run fast pace we will need at least a 4th man to step up for breathers. Eason/Davenport/small ball etc.

In the backcourt we have 4 players with either experience in the system or experience in general. MAW can play on or off ball. Harvey can back both wing positions. Dejulius can play on or off ball. Again if we run fast pace we may need Mikey or Gabe to help out a little.

These 7 players effectively give us 2 deep at all positions without needing to rush the frosh along. So by mid season I just hope to add the extra depth to really play the full court fast paced style. Looking at Eason, Saunders, and/or Gabe to help us get to 9 or 10 deep. Davenport is there as well. We will have to see if he's improved on offense but he can bring the hustle. I think Mason and Viktor will be working to help in future years.

Brannen really did a masterful job to land 2 transfers who basically allow us to go 2 deep at any position without the need to infuse the frosh before they are ready. If any frosh earn big minutes this year...it should mean very good things for us.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #98
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Because of the lack of athleticism in Vogt and Rap I would think Eason has a good chance to make an impact. We will need to matchup athletic bigs with those that aren't if we can't keep up defensively. I don't know if Dou can play both positions effectively (yet) or if he is just going to work in at the 5. If that is the case Eason could see as much as 15 minutes.

Saunders seems like he is progressing well. The problem is we will be pretty small if either he and Dejulius/MAW are on court together. We would be super fast with he and David though. But I would think having Saunders on court with Williams and Harvey would be better to keep from getting a height disadvantage. I would think Saunders will be capped at 10 minutes either way. Probably 5-8 more likely.

Gabe will probably be an X-factor. If we need a shooter or if we can't seem to score the ball on a given night we can use him for a potential spark. He may see 5-8 minutes that way. Or if Harvey is not up to full speed he could see more.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #99
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Our schedule was released last week for those that may have missed it.

https://gobearcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

25 games
20 AAC games (home and away w/ other 10 teams)
5 OOC games (3 home, 2 away)

The Enquirer offered a nice breakdown of the OOC schedule if you can get access to the article

We're looking at:

Lipscomb (home - 12/2)
Xavier (home - 12/6)
Furman (home - 12/9)
Tennessee (away - 12/12)
Georgia (away - 12/19)

If we're able to play all 5 games then I'd say:

5-0 = remarkable; on pace to win AAC
4-1 = very good; should compete to win AAC
3-2 = not bad; especially if the losses are competitive
2-3 = a little troublesome; still time to turn things around
1-4 = looking at a rebuilding year
0-5 = only see this happening if we have to play significantly short-handed

My initial guess will be 3-2 with losses @Tenn and X/Furman.

What do others think?
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #100
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I pretty much agree with waterhead, my big question with the freshmen is how much will they play? Everything Brannen says indicates that he wants to go 10 deep and run at every opportunity.

But the combination of Rap/Vogt is pretty ill suited for running. If they are playing together often are we actually going to be a team that pounds it inside? We have a lot of experience with Cronin promising to run and then never following through, is Brannen going to be the same? His resume indicates he wants to run, but if he starts Rap/Vogt together, it makes it hard to believe.

As with waterhead my biggest concern with Diarra is if he has picked up the 4. He was much better at the 5 last year, but if he only plays the 5 there will only be so many minutes to go around with Vogt/Diarra.

Unlike many it seems I am am also quite concerned about Rap. Not much I have seen convinced me he can play defense at the 4 at this level, especially if he has Vogt - a poor help defender - at the 5. Rap got beat quite a bit off the drive at Colgate when he played the 4 and the AAC is going to have better players. Offensively Rap isn't exactly a sure thing either, his numbers 2 years ago were impressive, but last year the numbers he put up weren't even good at the Colgate level. With tougher defenders, he may struggle on offense at times as well.

I imagine that DeJulius and Keith will average 30+ minutes, limiting minutes for their backups. The big spot where minutes are going to be available is at SG (and possibly the 4 depending on how things play out with Rap/Diarra). I actually think Mason may surprise with the number of minutes he gets. Gabe is known for being a worse defender/rebounder than Mason and if we want a 3-and-D guy Mason may get in over Gabe. Gabe has more potential, but if it takes a while for him to get good at defense, Mason may get more minutes this season.

Last edited by skyblade; 11-23-2020 at 11:10 AM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote