West Virginia 21%
D-1 Average 20%
Gonzaga 15%
Kentucky 10%
Cincinnati 8%
Michigan St 6%
Virginia 4%
Michigan 1%

So while coach K is successful keeping players with 2 fouls on the floor in the first half, there are also many very successful coaches who do the opposite.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #23
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Here's a selection of 2-Foul Participation rates from last season:

Syracuse 58%
Duke 42%
Kansas 29%
West Virginia 21%
D-1 Average 20%
Gonzaga 15%
Kentucky 10%
Cincinnati 8%
Michigan St 6%
Virginia 4%
Michigan 1%

So while coach K is successful keeping players with 2 fouls on the floor in the first half, there are also many very successful coaches who do the opposite.

welcome back, first posts of this season?
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #24
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I'll second this welcome back.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #25
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, first posts but I've been here reading most days. I just don't have much to contribute to debates about lineup decisions or style of play. I have my opinions, but we're all operating on what we see on TV, which isn't quite enough information to form concrete conclusions. I prefer to analyze things where we have some data to provide clarity. I do enjoy reading all of the banter though. I'll probably become a lot more active midway through the season when bracketology starts to become meaningful.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Cumberland could avoid a lot of his fouls by reducing off ball fouls and reducing his charges by staying under control when he goes to the rack.

I think the plan with him has to be more proactive than reactive. If he gets one dumb off ball foul and one out of control charge...you have lost half the battle.

He could probably go a whole season without trouble if those two areas were addressed sufficiently.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #27
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Coincidentally, Arkansas Pine Bluff has a 100% 2-foul participation this year. That means their starters haven't seen the bench at all with two fouls in the first half.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #28
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, first posts but I've been here reading most days. I just don't have much to contribute to debates about lineup decisions or style of play. I have my opinions, but we're all operating on what we see on TV, which isn't quite enough information to form concrete conclusions. I prefer to analyze things where we have some data to provide clarity. I do enjoy reading all of the banter though. I'll probably become a lot more active midway through the season when bracketology starts to become meaningful.
I always enjoy a good objective stat/data breakdown. Keep it coming. I would agree much of the subjective fan opinion does not always include all of the necessary information (mine included). It's a fan board though so it's going to come with the territory.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #29
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:

you'll probably have fun with NET. i guess we'll get to see if its any better than RPI was.

ive read a few things about it i dont like, capping wins at 10 points, and the quality of your opponent doesn't matter for the stats you put up (holding duke to .98 ppp is the same as holding arkansas-pine bluff to .98ppp) but im not sure if thats actually true or people misinterpreting the data.

if it is true, it is probably a big benefit to us considering our schedule. rpi sucked but was actually great for us last year.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #30
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
you'll probably have fun with NET. i guess we'll get to see if its any better than RPI was.

ive read a few things about it i dont like, capping wins at 10 points, and the quality of your opponent doesn't matter for the stats you put up (holding duke to .98 ppp is the same as holding arkansas-pine bluff to .98ppp) but im not sure if thats actually true or people misinterpreting the data.

if it is true, it is probably a big benefit to us considering our schedule. rpi sucked but was actually great for us last year.

after reading what adam silver wrote earlier today i think what i said is correct. of the 5 components used for your ranking only 1 of them factors in strength of opponent. this should really help us this year.

he doesn't seem to think NET will self correct much from early rankings the way RPI would (at least the final RPI rankings were vastly different than the early ones)