Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #221
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Here's what I like. McNeal is a gamer! He may make a mistake but his confidence will not be shaken. He can do a lot of things on both ends. Jaevin did not make shots but we (I) know he will. Jarron will do more than he did. Scott may never play that bad again.

It's all up from here and we had a chance to beat a very good ranked and (local) team on the road, with some officiating that wasn't going our way.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #222
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Here's what I like. McNeal is a gamer! He may make a mistake but his confidence will not be shaken. He can do a lot of things on both ends. Jaevin did not make shots but we (I) know he will. Jarron will do more than he did. Scott may never play that bad again.

It's all up from here and we had a chance to beat a very good ranked and (local) team on the road, with some officiating that wasn't going our way.
if you are looking for a good PR guy...McNeal is getting hard after it in pressers. I was for sure Scott would be the face of post game this year. McNeal is fielding all questions with the best coach speak available and poise to match. I love that guy already!! He's going to be a difference maker this year.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #223
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
McNeal has been impressive, though he still needs to show it in shooting. He really brings it on defense and also has the ability to drive the ball. He made a couple mistakes trying to drive it and kick, but that seemed to be a common issue on the team (and hopefully something that will be fixed as they learn the offense).

Listening to the John Brannen show, he said "we couldn't put Scott on Wesson". So it does sound like OSU forced our hands in terms of playing Vogt/Sorolla.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #224
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
McNeal has been impressive, though he still needs to show it in shooting. He really brings it on defense and also has the ability to drive the ball. He made a couple mistakes trying to drive it and kick, but that seemed to be a common issue on the team (and hopefully something that will be fixed as they learn the offense).

Listening to the John Brannen show, he said "we couldn't put Scott on Wesson". So it does sound like OSU forced our hands in terms of playing Vogt/Sorolla.
Agreed on all points!
Old 11-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #225
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
So many bad takes on here from the typical select few it's hard to even respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Far worst?

-UC scored .89 points per possession last season, this year we scored .86

-Last years team shot 15% better from the free throw line

-Last year we shot 23% from 3 and this year we shot 19%

-Last year we turned the ball over 10 times, this time we turned it over 14

-last year we were Plus 6 on the glass, this year we were Minus 5

-Last year we fouled 19 times, this time we fouled 27 times

-Last year we held OSU 8 offensive rebounds, This year we allowed 14

Hilariously enough This years UC team played better defense than last years but played worse on Offense.

So Im not sure how last years team played far worst.. We literally had the same score and got worse in just about every category.
haha, any objective person would admit last year was worse. Game was at home, with a team with the starting 5 having been on the team prior year, a coach in his Nteenth year, a less talented OSU team, much better refs, and on and on and on. Yet with all that they were still down by 15 at one point and were never in the game. Played absolutely brutal it was hard to watch.

Quote:
Last year, the team looked like they would have won had Jarron played more minutes. They also played better in the second half.

This year, Jarron played the whole game, but wasn't as involved as we are used to. We lost the second half badly and even though it was close, a comeback seemed unlikely.
Holy shit you are absurdly biased. They looked like they would have won if Jarron played the whole game? Mmmmkay. I mean he didn't play the whole game because he got in early foul trouble and Mick relied on his autobench strategy, which was stupid. Yet they looked like they would have won that game but not this year when they had a chance to be down by one if they made a wide open three? Gotcha, makes sense [/sarcasm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Jarron has been an impact player since day 1. His legacy deserves some respect around here. He was better then gary Clark, Jacob Evans and Kyle Washington in his tourney appearances. I want him to get national recognition.

I just don’t think he was featured like a preseason all American should have been.
You mean like in the Iowa game last year? It happens.

Quote:
Supposedly Scott has shot well in practice. He also was shooting pretty well at the end of last season.
uh, supposedly says who? Would love to see any sort of evidence that said that.

In his last 10 games he shot ~31% from three. His last 5 games he shot 30% from three. His season average was 33%. I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to say he was shooting pretty well at the end of the season.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #226
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
S

uh, supposedly says who? Would love to see any sort of evidence that said that.

In his last 10 games he shot ~31% from three. His last 5 games he shot 30% from three. His season average was 33%. I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to say he was shooting pretty well at the end of the season.
Terry Nelson I believe. If I remember correctly he talked about it on his interview on Chad Brendel's podcast.

Basically Brannen has some sort of timed 3 point shooting practice drill. Anyone who can consistently get a certain number of makes (40 or 50, I forget the exact number) is someone who is considered good enough that they should be shooting in games. Scott apparently shoots well enough that he beats that number most of the time.

Also if I recall correct the record in the drill is 72, set by somebody at NKU. The best from a UC player is 65 by Trevor Moore and Moore wants to set the record before he graduates.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #227
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Holy shit you are absurdly biased. They looked like they would have won if Jarron played the whole game? Mmmmkay. I mean he didn't play the whole game because he got in early foul trouble and Mick relied on his autobench strategy, which was stupid. Yet they looked like they would have won that game but not this year when they had a chance to be down by one if they made a wide open three? Gotcha, makes sense [/sarcasm]
This year we were outscored by 15 (45 to 30) in the second half. Last year we outscored them by 1 in the second half. Once OSU started to hold the lead, it felt over because they played better than us the entire half. We also were tired and couldn't get stops on D.

It felt like we were down and they were pulling away. It felt like if we'd played another 5-10 minutes, they would have won by more. In last years game, it felt like we were down but reeling them in, if we'd played another 5-10 minutes we'd have had a good chance to win.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #228
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Terry Nelson I believe. If I remember correctly he talked about it on his interview on Chad Brendel's podcast.

Basically Brannen has some sort of timed 3 point shooting practice drill. Anyone who can consistently get a certain number of makes (40 or 50, I forget the exact number) is someone who is considered good enough that they should be shooting in games. Scott apparently shoots well enough that he beats that number most of the time.

Also if I recall correct the record in the drill is 72, set by somebody at NKU. The best from a UC player is 65 by Trevor Moore and Moore wants to set the record before he graduates.
Moore has literally been the best shooter on the team 3 straight years in practice and I have not heard any different from anyone. How nice would it be not just to shoot okay in games but to be the best shooter on the team with two Cumberland’s on it? It’s a rhetorical question but I get the impression he has that type of potential if he can get his head out of his ass
Old 11-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #229
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Moore has literally been the best shooter on the team 3 straight years in practice and I have not heard any different from anyone. How nice would it be not just to shoot okay in games but to be the best shooter on the team with two Cumberland’s on it? It’s a rhetorical question but I get the impression he has that type of potential if he can get his head out of his ass
Yeah, Moore is one of those players who I keep hoping will break out. He is strong and scrappy enough to play the undersized 4 in small lineups. I'd put him right behind Diarra on the list of players who this teams needs to have develop to be great.

I'd be happy if Moore could be the third best 3-point shooter on the team behind the Cumberland's. If he could be the best shooter - like he is in practice - he could be a huge piece this season and next.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #230
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sucks we couldn't get that top 15 team we were supposed to have,things would be completely different right now. Guess that was too much to ask for of a new coach. Now we gotta rely on guys who were never ready for these roles. Vogt and sorollo starting for the Bearcats against O-state?? Could of used Hardnett or the other forward who sat out last yr right about now his name is escaping me. Giving no passes to the new coach def not giving him 3 yrs it was come along and improve our run not come along and rebuild us TH.. His boy Mike Bone head isn't here anymore
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote