Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #341
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I’d rather leave Goodin yes. Bait him into an inefficient jumper or let him drive into the paint where a 7 footer is waiting on him.

I guess I’m just used to our bigs being a bit more athletic.

Again, I’m not dissing Vogt. I just want our defense to be put in spots where they can succeed. Brannen May have to turn these guys into a 2nd half zone team.

But clearly, you are putting a ton of effort into defending this defense. So I’m assuming you’re happy with it. I’m glad it works for you. To me it doesn’t.

Like you won’t get a sticker for defending the program on this one. The defense sucks against good teams especially in the 2nd half. I’ve showed both vogts numbers, I showed the points we’ve allowed in the 2nd half and I’ve showed that it hasn’t gotten better.

I’m asking for the guy who said this was a defensive team all preseason to show me why he said that.
LOL! I haven't defended anything really. I have agreed with most of the points being made (even some of yours). I was mainly pointing out how you missed most of the points being made by others because you just like to argue. You will argue with someone who agrees with you just to argue
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #342
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Vogt is the worst big man defender we’ve had at cincinnati in the synergy era.

So while yes. Bigs aren’t good at guarding jump shooters, I’ll ask you to go lookup nysier Brooks defense on a Conner frankamp game winning jumper our to the 3 point line. It was pretty damn amazing and couldn’t have done any better with out blocking the shot.

As for a solution... I think against teams who can shoot like Xavier, you might want to bust out a 2-3 zone. Make a team who shoots 27% on the year beat us from from 3 and live with results.

This team can’t defend. And Brannen’s defense relies on guys being able to defend in space. But they clearly can’t, so why have we not seen an adjustment.

Lolol I’m literally asking for the staff to make adjustments and people are debating with me about it as if the team hasn’t allowed 40+ points in the 2nd half to every good team we’ve played.

That’s a clear as day pattern. So find a solution and fix it.
ill gladly give up a little bit of defense for centers who can make layups and have post moves.

Vogt isnt the problem. Our players cant guard the ball. Blame them for getting beat. All of our defenders run out to their man and let them go either baseline or middle of the lane. You learn early on (3rd grade?) how to defend the perimeter. You MAKE them go 1 way. So our guys are getting beat and you blame vogt?

Vogt is our best player. And would still be our best player if Nas was here
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #343
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
You will argue with someone who agrees with you just to argue
This isn't going to change, so it's best to disengage. That goes for everyone, myself included. Just make your point and leave it at that. There's no need to convince everyone.

No one wants to read an argument about getting stickers from the program.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #344
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Vogt has scored in double figures in eight-straight games, including a best 21-point's against Valparaiso and he’s also thrown up a pair of double-doubles. Among players to have appeared in at least half of UC’s games, Vogt leads the team in offensive rating (126.1) and total win shares (1.4) and his true shooting rate (66.3 percent). His offensive game has gone hand-in-hand with his work on the boards (seven per game) and blocks (team-high 5.6 percent block rate)… but lets continue to beat into the ground how Vogt is a liability and the problem when our guards constantly get beat off the dribble... Brooks is gone so who tf cares how good at defense he was... Vogt is here and is the starter.... This team is 4-5 potentially without him.... fact... now on to Colgate
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #345
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Vogt has scored in double figures in eight-straight games, including a best 21-point's against Valparaiso and he’s also thrown up a pair of double-doubles. Among players to have appeared in at least half of UC’s games, Vogt leads the team in offensive rating (126.1) and total win shares (1.4) and his true shooting rate (66.3 percent). His offensive game has gone hand-in-hand with his work on the boards (seven per game) and blocks (team-high 5.6 percent block rate)… but lets continue to beat into the ground how Vogt is a liability and the problem when our guards constantly get beat off the dribble... Brooks is gone so who tf cares how good at defense he was... Vogt is here and is the starter.... This team is 4-5 potentially without him.... fact... now on to Colgate
Ok and the point was to better utilize him so that he is more effective on defense so that his defense doesn't counteract his really good offense.

I have no idea why any one is so offended by this.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #346
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok and the point was to better utilize him so that he is more effective on defense so that his defense doesn't counteract his really good offense.

I have no idea why any one is so offended by this.
Because it gets mentioned after every game. Not necessarily you specifically but Vogt has been the best or 2nd best player all year yet is the only one a few people continue to talk about not doing enough.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote