Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 13+ 0 0%
UC wins by 9-12 10 27.03%
UC wins by 5-8 20 54.05%
UC wins by 1-4 6 16.22%
SMU wins 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #51
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Teams that can shoot and penetrate usually give all teams problems. If we play with enthusiasm... They will have to be firing on all cylinders...Which is tough to do against us right now. Our D is playing better than maybe any team in the country right now. They have bought in!!!

We haven't had a whole team buy in like this in the Cronin era. Probably his best coaching job thus far.

This is in Offense too...We are passing the ball an extra pass to get the open look. Both sides are playing together very well and that will give us great chances in march!
Kevin Johnson has been a big part in the lock down defense obviously...but he also has now become a big part of the ball movement. It doesn't get stuck with him holding and scanning for 3 seconds while the defense resets. Makes a huge difference. He did have a pick 6 in the Houston game, but I'll take that occasionally if it means he's being quicker with his decisions.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #52
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Kevin Johnson has been a big part in the lock down defense obviously...but he also has now become a big part of the ball movement. It doesn't get stuck with him holding and scanning for 3 seconds while the defense resets. Makes a huge difference. He did have a pick 6 in the Houston game, but I'll take that occasionally if it means he's being quicker with his decisions.
He's a changed man KJ! The starting 5 is pretty darn good. Cumberland off the bench is what we used to have in the olden days. A scoring lift off the bench. It's nice to know we also have a defensive lift off the bench at the 4-5 as well. It's about all we can ask for really.

It's looking good right now!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #53
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Cronin just tweeted out student tickets are free....

I don't understand why it's gotten to that point..
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #54
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Cronin just tweeted out student tickets are free....

I don't understand why it's gotten to that point..
you mean free or the fact that he has to ask students to come?

Im just glad that he is tweeting to the fan base and asking for support. A lot of other coaches use social media a lot better than he does.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #55
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Speaking of 3 point defense and man to man.

Since the 2nd half of the Marshall game, our Man to Man defense has forced a combined 13-73 from 3 for a 17.8%

Holy crap is that good.

In that same stretch, we allowed just a combined 52-139 from 2 for 37.4% from 2.

Safe to say that the man to man defends both the 3 and the 2. And you see a drop off on 2 point defense.

Last edited by justinhub2003; 01-09-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #56
prancer

prancer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Speaking of 3 point defense and man to man.

Since the 2nd half of the Marshall game, our Man to Man defense has forced a combined 13-73 from 3 for a 17.8%

Holy crap is that good.

In that same stretch, we allowed just a combined 52-139 from 2 for 37.4% from 2.

Safe to say that the man to man defends both the 3 and the 2. And you see a drop off on 2 point defense.
I do like the man to man that they're playing. I was tired of watching them give up those corner threes out of the zone. But I would still like Mick to incorporate the match up zone. Play zone a few possessions, then go to man, then go back to zone after a timeout,... I think it makes the defense that much tougher to face if the opponent doesn't even know what defense they'll be facing on any given possession. Since we can play both defensive styles at an elite level, using both within a game can make this defense a nightmare to prep for.
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #57
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
I do like the man to man that they're playing. I was tired of watching them give up those corner threes out of the zone. But I would still like Mick to incorporate the match up zone. Play zone a few possessions, then go to man, then go back to zone after a timeout,... I think it makes the defense that much tougher to face if the opponent doesn't even know what defense they'll be facing on any given possession. Since we can play both defensive styles at an elite level, using both within a game can make this defense a nightmare to prep for.
I think you start every game with man. They made a good point on the skinny podcast about how we can keep guys from ever getting a rhythm to start games. Until our man to man shows weakness then keep it up
Old 01-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #58
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Plus we defensive rebound so much better out of man.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #59
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
KJ and Cumberland have given us very nice production at the 2 guard. Cumberland also backs up Evans at the 3.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #60
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Plus we defensive rebound so much better out of man.
I agree. If it ain't broke...
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote