Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #2011
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
You and the rest of your cronies don't get it. The law of averages says Cronin will get lucky at some point and have a good season. If you let the guy sit here long enough, it's going to happen. I'll be happy as hell if the team has a great season, but it will take a lot more than one special season to get me to be happy about the head coaching situation. It's been a freaking decade and we've finished only one of those 10 seasons ranked in the top 25, and we've had only one of our players drafted in the NBA. That's pathetic! You guys that argue for more of the same are the ones with the negative message. I preach a positive message. I love this university and this program and I want much better than a decade of mediocrity where the Bearcats are an afterthought on the college basketball radar and where we are now almost never a destination for any blue chip basketball player. I say let's put an end to this lost decade and ascend back to what this program can be! If you're not on board, then you have a pretty negative outlook that I don't want any part of.

Now, let's go kick Rhode Island's ass and hope that this victory kick starts us to finally have a great season. I believe next year will possibly be amazing and then the next season could be as well. If it all happens, I will be on the Cronin bandwagon with you. But, I won't be there till it happens.
That's not fair. You're setting him up to fail in your eyes. A Conference Championship, good seed, and possible second weekend appearance in the NCAAs should be more than enough to make you happy about the situation. You love Jenifer, we'll still have Cumberland, Evans, Clark, Washington and more. And if I'm not mistaken, you loved Broome in the scrimmage. Turn over a new leaf! At least until things are proven to be the "same old".
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #2012
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Can't erase 10 years worth of skepticism in 2 games, I get that. But we're just starting a new year with big games coming up. Enjoy it! At least wait until we lose before the "here we go again" stuff. You say yourself that you like the new makeup of talent. By all accounts, this is just the beginning of that. Give it a chance!
We lost 4 contributors last year. Haven't had much chance to build chemistry with players that haven't really played much. Washington, Cumberland, Jenifer, Scott, Brooks etc.

It's going to take a little while to find out what works with who and chemistry to build on the court together.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #2013
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
We lost 4 contributors last year. Haven't had much chance to build chemistry with players that haven't really played much. Washington, Cumberland, Jenifer, Scott, Brooks etc.

It's going to take a little while to find out what works with who and chemistry to build on the court together.
And who wouldn't trade Ellis, DeBerry, Thomas and Cobb for Cumberland, Washington, Scott, and Brooks? Throw in a new and improved Jenifer and a blossoming Evans...that's the kind of team that I expect.

I understand having high expectations, but you can't constantly move the line to ensure that they're never met. We're 2 game into the 2016-17 season. Let things unfold and we'll see where we stand.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #2014
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Seeing Evans and Washington off to hot starts with 2 all conference players in the shadows has to be giving us confidence. Having Jenifer playing well and Cumberland doing pretty good can't be hurting. Hoping for a clear back up big to emerge so we can play with confidence when we are in foul trouble.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #2015
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
You and the rest of your cronies don't get it. The law of averages says Cronin will get lucky at some point and have a good season. If you let the guy sit here long enough, it's going to happen. I'll be happy as hell if the team has a great season, but it will take a lot more than one special season to get me to be happy about the head coaching situation. It's been a freaking decade and we've finished only one of those 10 seasons ranked in the top 25, and we've had only one of our players drafted in the NBA. That's pathetic! You guys that argue for more of the same are the ones with the negative message. I preach a positive message. I love this university and this program and I want much better than a decade of mediocrity where the Bearcats are an afterthought on the college basketball radar and where we are now almost never a destination for any blue chip basketball player. I say let's put an end to this lost decade and ascend back to what this program can be! If you're not on board, then you have a pretty negative outlook that I don't want any part of.

Now, let's go kick Rhode Island's ass and hope that this victory kick starts us to finally have a great season. I believe next year will possibly be amazing and then the next season could be as well. If it all happens, I will be on the Cronin bandwagon with you. But, I won't be there till it happens.
I understand the skepticism about the coach but you seem to be implying having a good year might be a lucky season as opposed to finally getting the right type of players in place.

If we do well this year I would expect to do well next. We lose Troy and KJ and pick up your scrimmage fave Broome...along with new recruits likely better than KJ.

Yes...I agree...show me! But I don't want to call it a lucky season if we have a good one.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #2016
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can't erase 10 years worth of skepticism in 2 games, I get that. But we're just starting a new year with big games coming up. Enjoy it! At least wait until we lose before the "here we go again" stuff. You say yourself that you like the new makeup of talent. By all accounts, this is just the beginning of that. Give it a chance!
Jacob, we can certainly be excited about the team, and still discuss the problems with the program. I'm on record early and often saying this could finally be the season we've been waiting for. The shooting early in the season has given me a little cause for concern, but I see some facets of this defense that excite me, which I didn't expect. I still think this team is looking like Mick's best yet. No matter what I think about Mick, I'm still excited about this weekend and can't wait to attend every game. I already have tickets to a couple away games and hope to get some more. I support Mick with my wallet, so I'll continue to discuss things that might improve the program, and if a new coach happens to be one of those things...oh well! In the meantime....go Mick....2 and 0 this weekend....fingers crossed!
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #2017
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:
I understand the skepticism about the coach but you seem to be implying having a good year might be a lucky season as opposed to finally getting the right type of players in place.

If we do well this year I would expect to do well next. We lose Troy and KJ and pick up your scrimmage fave Broome...along with new recruits likely better than KJ.

Yes...I agree...show me! But I don't want to call it a lucky season if we have a good one.
Well after 10 years, it starts to feel like we have to be lucky to accomplish anything significant. In my mind, luck will be required to overcome our offensive scheme. At least we seem to have a little better talent...which always helps.

I think next year will possibly be amazing.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #2018
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

IMO 2 main goals for a program of our caliber should be:
Win the Conference
Win our home game

Nothing I've seen so far has me discouraged about either. If anything, based on the way our league has played early, I'm more encouraged.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #2019
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:
That's not fair. You're setting him up to fail in your eyes. A Conference Championship, good seed, and possible second weekend appearance in the NCAAs should be more than enough to make you happy about the situation. You love Jenifer, we'll still have Cumberland, Evans, Clark, Washington and more. And if I'm not mistaken, you loved Broome in the scrimmage. Turn over a new leaf! At least until things are proven to be the "same old".
You're damn right I'm setting him up to fail if he can't get us to a level of performance that matches our historical standards and our outstanding facilities and the salary he is getting paid. Good riddance! Better recruiting, league championships, conference championships, top 25 annually, some March Madness success, take back our city from X. These are all achievable. If he can't get it done, bring on the next guy.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #2020
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm giving it a chance and as I've stated there are some reasons to hope this season will be different. Believe me, if we're ranked all season and we wind up in the NCAA's with a 5 seed or higher you probably won't hear much complaining from me come middle and end of the season.

As of right now the sample size is too small to sway me towards an optimistic outlook so I'll let the last 12 years be my guide until proven otherwise.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote