Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #2411
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinal070508 View Post
You have to get open to be able to have an open look. A better defense will limit those opportunities compared to a cupcake defense.
If KJ takes 5 threes 4 of them are set shots and 1 is probably forced by shot clock. Troy can actually get off a shot on his own by using a pick here and there. So I would say 3-5 of his are set shots. They get those set shots by mainly standing on the perimeter. I think Cumberland is capable of standing in a spot. Neither KJ or Troy has a step back 3 game. They aren't running around at a torrid pace off picks waiting to release a 3 in a split second.

They get the ball inside and wait for a kick out or they pass around the perimeter. Getting off a shot happens at a little quicker pace against a quality D but again...Cumberland is armed with more tools to get that done. He's taller and has a quicker shot.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #2412
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not saying that Cumberland needs to create his own shot off the dribble. There is a reason that Troy and KJ are getting open looks from 3. They have been playing against bad teams with no defense. Plus they have not shot well from 3 some teams haven't been keying in on them. My point is that better defenses will be able to reduce the amount of open looks from 3. The best way to get Cumberland open for 3s would be to throw it in to Washington or Clark and let them kick it back out if/when the double team comes.
Okay well "better" teams don't necessarily mean better defenses. Cumberland will get shots if he is in the game and isn't afraid to take them.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #2413
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm not saying that Cumberland needs to create his own shot off the dribble. There is a reason that Troy and KJ are getting open looks from 3. They have been playing against bad teams with no defense. Plus they have not shot well from 3 some teams haven't been keying in on them. My point is that better defenses will be able to reduce the amount of open looks from 3. The best way to get Cumberland open for 3s would be to throw it in to Washington or Clark and let them kick it back out if/when the double team comes.
Against our 3 toughest opponents KJ got off 3, 4, and 5

Troy got off 5, 6, and 7

The fact they haven't made many means it's time for Cumberland to get his chance
Old 12-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #2414
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
By meaningfull minutes I meant points scored. They may be able to give Washington breathers but the offense will drop with them on the floor.

I want to see if Cumberland can keep up the hot shooting or if it was just a result of garbage competition.
I would also mention...Troy and KJ have shot garbage % against almost ALL competition so far and that includes all the patsies we have played. I'm not even sure if their % would be better if we took out ISU, Butler, and Rhode Island. The idea that Cumberland's good games against the bad teams is somehow not worthy of notice seems a bit odd. At least he has shown the ability to reel off some open shots.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #2415
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Cumberland needs to play extended minutes bc he's shown that he can score in bunches. The longer he's out there, the better chance we have of riding his hot hand for stretches. His development is critical. Scott, Brooks, and aJenifer can all play in few minutes spurts only if the game calls for it bc we aren't desperate for their scoring. Jenifer and Scott just go all out and raise the energy level, and Brooks has 5 fouls and needs to protect the hoop, get defensive rebounds, and know where to be to get opportunities near the hoop. I don't think Brooks is ready to be a constant post presence on offense. He has definitely shown potential and has decent touch with that easy half hook and uses the glass well. But he's obviously light years behind Washington in general when it comes to floor presence.
I agree here...we need to keep building up Cumberland. We have two options to improve offensive production at the 2. Play Cumberland directly for KJ or play Jenifer and slide Troy. Well Troy has been just as abysmal so far from deep as KJ...so this does nothing for us really. Cumberland seems to be the answer here so I hope he keeps it going and can build a little more confidence tonight. I am just hoping he can get off at least 4 threes and make 2 of them.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #2416
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I forgot to mention the Cronin pre game interview. A couple of things stood out. He likes the way Marshall runs their offense and said he showed the video to the players to tell them...this is how it should be done. I don't get why in 10 years he can't get his team to run an offense the way he says he wants to? It's a coaches job to make it happen. Playing D for him is non negotiable. Why isn't running offense the way he wants non negotiable? Take a player out and tell him..."you're not setting picks or making extra passes etc...so you're riding pine until you understand".

Also he mentioned Gary Clark was defensive POY in conference...but at our banquet KJ got the award and it wasn't even close.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #2417
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I like Evans at the "2" and Cumberland at the "3".
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #2418
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I like Evans at the "2" and Cumberland at the "3".
Probably not a bad idea
Old 12-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #2419
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Probably not a bad idea
It's happening.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #2420
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I forgot to mention the Cronin pre game interview. A couple of things stood out. He likes the way Marshall runs their offense and said he showed the video to the players to tell them...this is how it should be done. I don't get why in 10 years he can't get his team to run an offense the way he says he wants to? It's a coaches job to make it happen. Playing D for him is non negotiable. Why isn't running offense the way he wants non negotiable? Take a player out and tell him..."you're not setting picks or making extra passes etc...so you're riding pine until you understand".

Also he mentioned Gary Clark was defensive POY in conference...but at our banquet KJ got the award and it wasn't even close.
Kevin Johnson is Coach Cronin's dream player. I mean that seriously. He loves the program guys who work hard and are coachable. Johnson has looked better since he's been more decisive on offense. He hasn't been standing and holding. And he's getting the memo on scoring from 8-15 feet. Opens up world's of possibilities and space for everyone when your guards can do that in a 1 in offense.