Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #731
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
You left out budget and facilities.
Hard to keep up with all the excuses made on his behalf, though that's what I meant with arena and administration support. It's sad to think our recruiting peers are now schools like Stephen F Austin and LIU Brooklyn but the new arena is going to fix everything...right? LOL.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #732
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
That's fair. I think I would have had him at an A after the 2012 season. After last season, I'd have him at a C, maybe C+.
He's gets an A as long as UC makes the tournament because no one else could accomplish that here...
Old 07-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #733
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's fair. I think I would have had him at an A after the 2012 season. After last season, I'd have him at a C, maybe C+.
When you look at how far the bar has dropped in almost every aspect of our program...performance, fan interest and perception, lack of championships, recruiting, attendance, letting X kick sand in our faces, low seeds, early exits in the NCAA, loss of national recognition, etc., etc., etc., I don't know how you can give him even a "C". He certainly got us out of the dungeon we were in 10 years ago. That was an admirable job. Where he's taken us since, is nowhere near special. My grade is dropping thru the Cs and fast approaching a D+. He peaked at the sweet 16 and has been in decline ever since.

We certainly will have a great season again under him. The law of averages says so. But, I think we've all seen what the long term picture will look like if Cronin stays here much longer. If you're happy with that picture, I don't know what to say. It's an ugly picture for me and just about every other Bearcat fan I've spoken with.....except this group on this forum.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #734
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
He's gets an A as long as UC makes the tournament because no one else could accomplish that here...
Yeah, and if he gets 8 more consecutive years to the tournament, he'll match the coach we fired before him.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #735
L-T
Epic Member

It all comes back to "RECRUITING"! Mick dug us out of the dungeon and got us back to the NCAA in his 5th season. With all the positivity and buzz from that, he landed the stellar recruiting class of Kelvin Gaines and Justin Jackson. The following year, with a veteran roster, he ascends even higher and takes us to the Sweet 16. Even I was jumping on the bandwagon at that point and would have given him a 6-year grade of "B" or maybe even a "B+". He followed his sweet 16 achievement with an "AMAZING" recruiting haul of......Titus Rubles??? Then, the following season we win our first 12 and ascend to #8 in the nation, come home on a huge high and lay an egg against New Mexico at home, go on and finish 9th in the BE and get knocked out of the NCAA in the 1st round by a Missouri Valley team. He then lands another stellar recruiting class...3 head cases who end up transferring, plus Caupain and Johnson. Those three horrible recruiting classes laid the foundation for these last three years of mediocrity. Our roster is always 2 or 3 short of the minimum. We're always saving those cherished scholarships for that big haul that seems to never come. And then the short roster ends up biting us every year. Recruiting is the basis for my grade of this coach, period, end of story.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #736
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
there is some phenomenal commitment and consistency here. good show.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #737
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can't really argue with this either. When I think a grade of C I am thinking any average coach in the country could come in and produce similar results. I'm not sure that is the case but maybe it is IDK. I'm inclined to think he is a little better than average.

However he certainly doesn't seem to be on the level of excellent thus far and that is what I would want our coach to be. If an average coach can get us to the same level then we don't need to be paying a high salary to get that.

That being said I hope we avoid injury this year because I think we have some very good talent in at least 4 of the 5 starting spots. If Cumberland is as advertised...we will have a great starting 5. The coach had something to do with that. He is also responsible for what happens if we have depth issues.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #738
L-T
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I can't really argue with this either. When I think a grade of C I am thinking any average coach in the country could come in and produce similar results. I'm not sure that is the case but maybe it is IDK. I'm inclined to think he is a little better than average.

However he certainly doesn't seem to be on the level of excellent thus far and that is what I would want our coach to be. If an average coach can get us to the same level then we don't need to be paying a high salary to get that.

That being said I hope we avoid injury this year because I think we have some very good talent in at least 4 of the 5 starting spots. If Cumberland is as advertised...we will have a great starting 5. The coach had something to do with that. He is also responsible for what happens if we have depth issues.
I think I would actually say that he is an excellent coach of lesser talented players. 6 straight years to the NCAA with the talent that he has recruited is pretty damn good.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #739
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
ESPN ranked the least stable coaching jobs in the AAC to most stable.
From least to most stable:
Jeff Lebo ECU
Orlando Antigua South florida
Mike Dunleavy Sr Tulane
Fran Dunphy Temple
Tim Jankovich SMU
Frank Haith Tulsa
Kelvin Sampson Houston
Mick Cronin UC
Tubby Smith Memphis
Johnny Dawkins UCF
Kevin Ollie UCONN

2 out of the 4 people ahead of Cronin are 1st year coaches with long term deals so it makes since they are more stable.

Here is the write up on Cronin:

Mick Cronin:
There was that offseason flirtation with UNLV, but Cronin opted to stay with the Bearcats -- a program that he has led to the NCAA tournament in six consecutive seasons. Cincinnati has averaged 24.3 wins over that span, and the 44-year-old just received an extension that will take him through 2023. Sure, there is the possibility that Cronin could be plucked for a bigger gig, such as Louisville, but there aren't all that many programs that would be able to lure him.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #740
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Louisville fans would burn down the city if they had to settle for Mick Cronin. UNLV is more his range...