Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 09-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #21
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Now lets look how other top AAC faired when it came to how many 300+ games they booked:

UCONN: 1
SMU: 3
WSU: 1
Houston: 3
UCF: 3

Xavier: 1

Guys, its a big deal.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #22
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Now lets look how other top AAC faired when it came to how many 300+ games they booked:

UCONN: 1
SMU: 3
WSU: 1
Houston: 3
UCF: 3

Xavier: 1

Guys, its a big deal.
How many Top 50 games do those teams have? Bc again, last year THE ONLY THING I heard about was Top 50 wins. That is all anyone cared about.

And it looks like 2 of the 5 we have could easily get back into the 200s. The 300+ years seemed like outliers based on your numbers.

Let things play out. We'll be fine. If we go 29-5 (heading into NCAAs) and get a bad seed, it's going to be bc the AAC sucked again.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #23
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Committee values challenging your self in non conference. 5 300+ is the exact opposite of that.

I have no idea why you guys are defending this schedule. I love the marquee games. Just not the rest.

Come selection sunday; come back to this post and you’ll understand why I was concerned.

Top 50 wins are great. But miss state may not be a top 50 teams which means we could finish with 3 max top 50 wins. And then a schedule full of cupcakes,

I honestly just the committee takes into consideration our arena situation. Would be nice if all our home games were considered neutrals.
Lose those games to Florida UCLA Xavier Mississippi state
You need easy teams to be to get your record looking decent can't end up with 10 losses
Mick doesn't want 10 losses at the end of the year and 18 that is tired come conference time got a mix-and-match a little bit easy and hard. Have to keep that tournament Streak going
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #24
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The teams we schedule historically bad, don't count on any of them making huge jumps.

Last 3 year Kenpom rankings of each team:
Alabama State: 265, 286, 342 (Actually regressing not getting better)
Coppin State: 325, 333, 343
Arkansas Pine Bluff: 324, 344, 348
Western Carolina: 234, 195, 322 (our best chance at moving up, used to be a decent buy game)
Savanah State: 338, 332, 317

We scheduled consistently bad teams for the most part. Don't get your hopes up that they will sudden be top 250 teams next year.
I hear what you're saying but it always comes down to the same thing. If you beat good teams and prove you are good, you'll get a good seed. It's that simple. If you lose most of your games to good teams, that's when the 300+ thing becomes an issue.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #25
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I hear what you're saying but it always comes down to the same thing. If you beat good teams and prove you are good, you'll get a good seed. It's that simple. If you lose most of your games to good teams, that's when the 300+ thing becomes an issue.
Yeah I mean the committee has never even used KenPom. I think I remember hearing that this year they will. But I don't see them going from not using it, to digging into so deeply that KenPom non-con SOS becomes their favorite tool.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #26
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Like I’m a diehard UC fan and am only harping on the schedule bc I know the impact. And I don’t want to give the committee any fuel.

There is a huge difference between playing the 150th ranked team and 342nd ranked team.

I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is if any one really thinks playing 5 300+ teams is a good thing. Even if you use RPI as your measureing stick, these teams are still really bad.

Add in that, I’m disappointed than just one decent school is playing in front of home court fans in the non league schedule.

I won’t bring it up again, until March. But if we win 30 games, even in a better conference, Wil still get a 6 seed bc of 1/3 of our wins are against whack ass teams
Old 09-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #27
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Like I’m a diehard UC fan and am only harping on the schedule bc I know the impact. And I don’t want to give the committee any fuel.

There is a huge difference between playing the 150th ranked team and 342nd ranked team.

I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is if any one really thinks playing 5 300+ teams is a good thing. Even if you use RPI as your measureing stick, these teams are still really bad.

Add in that, I’m disappointed than just one decent school is playing in front of home court fans in the non league schedule.

I won’t bring it up again, until March. But if we win 30 games, even in a better conference, Wil still get a 6 seed bc of 1/3 of our wins are against whack ass teams
It was by design that only "one decent team" is playing in front of the home fans this year. The University wants those games at home next year with a newly renovated 5/3 Arena.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #28
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:

I don't think anyone said playing 5 teams ranked in the 300s is GOOD. But again, you don't know that it's going to be 5...could easily be 3. And if we bury those teams and have a bunch of Top 50 wins, it'd be really weird for the committee to search so hard for ammo to use against us.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #29
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
It was by design that only "one decent team" is playing in front of the home fans this year. The University wants those games at home next year with a newly renovated 5/3 Arena.
We only have 2 high profile home games scheduled next year, that’s the same as every year. I doubt they bring in another high profile.

Again, IM NOT COMPLAINING about our high tier Games. I’d just like to see Marshall again on the schedule, or An A10 school. And then some of the good buy games; Lehigh, South Dakota state, Kent state etc
Old 09-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #30
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I'm sure cronin would rather not play 300+ teams. There is nothing in it for the team. Would probably get more out of a good practice then playing an awful team. I'm guessing its a money thing.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote