Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
USF Part II (Senior Night)

Saturday, February 26th, 2022
7:00 PM
Fifth Third Arena
ESPN+

We've reached our 18th and final home game of the 21/22 (regular) season and tonight we welcome USF (7-20, 2-13 AAC, NET #249, KenPom #257) as we say farewell to another group of seniors.

Abdul Ado, Hayden Koval, and Sam Martin will be recognized with a pregame ceremony at 6:35 pm. 4th-year players David DeJulius and John Newman are still undecided about their Bearcat futures.

The Bulls have lost 5 consecutive games since we last faced them in Tampa 2.5 weeks ago. Surprisingly, their two closest losses from that stretch both came on the road as they only lost by 4 at Wichita St and at ECU.

USF's only win away from home this season was against Hawaii at a MTE in Hawaii in late December.

The Bearcats are 12.5 point favorites.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:34 PM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Saturday, February 26th, 2022
7:00 PM
Fifth Third Arena
ESPN+

We've reached our 18th and final home game of the 21/22 (regular) season and tonight we welcome USF (7-20, 2-13 AAC, NET #249, KenPom #257) as we say farewell to another group of seniors.

Abdul Ado, Hayden Koval, and Sam Martin will be recognized with a pregame ceremony at 6:35 pm. 4th-year players David DeJulius and John Newman are still undecided about their Bearcat futures.

The Bulls have lost 5 consecutive games since we last faced them in Tampa 2.5 weeks ago. Surprisingly, their two closest losses from that stretch both came on the road as they only lost by 4 at Wichita St and at ECU.

USF's only win away from home this season was against Hawaii at a MTE in Hawaii in late December.

The Bearcats are 12.5 point favorites.
I would bet this line
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:07 PM   #3
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Wes Miller sucks. Brannon wasn’t this terrible

Last edited by Bcatfollower; 02-26-2022 at 08:09 PM.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:12 PM   #4
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Why were we pressing in the backcourt with 3 seconds left and 3 fouls to give? Make them throw it in the backcourt, and then foul as soon you can. And that followed up the DDJ iso "play".

Once again I liked Ody and Madsen. Those are the only players I can get remotely excited about going into next year.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #5
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Wes Miller sucks. Brannon wasn’t this terrible
Brannon knew how to coach, and had proved that with his experience at NKU. He was awkward but could at least coach. Wes Miller has proved nothing and I expressed my concerns when he was hired. Team looks awful, the talent level isn't this bad. Wes reminds me of Butch Jones. He's a salesman. God help us he can recruit.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #6
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
We're on track to go 1-7 over the final 8 games. Reminds me of 2009 when we picked up a couple big wins to put us on the bubble and then went 1-6 to finish the season, including a first round loss to DePaul who was 0-18 in conference play.

Hopefully this is rock bottom. Rough night with FC Cincinnati also seemingly hitting rock bottom.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:14 PM   #7
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Brannon knew how to coach, and had proved that with his experience at NKU. He was awkward but could at least coach. Wes Miller has proved nothing and I expressed my concerns when he was hired. Team looks awful, the talent level isn't this bad. Wes reminds me of Butch Jones. He's a salesman. God help us he can recruit.
Yes, Brannon was missing the PR aspect but at least he knew basketball. Wes seems oblivious, regardless of if players fit his system, of how to motivate his team. Just terrible in game coaching.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:57 AM   #8
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
How did Brannen prove he knows how to coach in 4 years at NKU more than Miller did in 10 years at UNCG?

We are still better in Kenpom this year (103) than we were last year (116). So Brannen was this terrible and in his second year to boot.

We have a lot of work to do, but we have an excellent incoming recruiting class and plenty to work with for development during the off-season.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:10 AM   #9
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
How did Brannen prove he knows how to coach in 4 years at NKU more than Miller did in 10 years at UNCG?

Brannen had a by far better resume if you're looking at the advanced stats, and he did it in just 4 years. Brannen managed to have an offense and a defense that was top 30 in EFGO and EFGD (not in the same season) and was top 25 twice in 2 point % offense, and top 50 in 2 point defense % once.

Wes never reached any of those numbers in any season in his career.

So thats how Brannen proved it in 4 years.

Brannen didn't work out here, but thats the kind of resume you're looking for. Ability to be efficient on offense and defense.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:38 AM   #10
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

We are still better in Kenpom this year (103) than we were last year (116). So Brannen was this terrible and in his second year to boot.

We have a lot of work to do, but we have an excellent incoming recruiting class and plenty to work with for development during the off-season.
is that a serious question? Brannen took over a team that in it's first year of D1 took them to the ncaa. 2nd year was NIT and 3rd year was back to the NCAA. His only losing season was his first year when they weren't D1.

Wes' didn't even have a winning record at UNCG for his first 5 seasons. He took them to the NCAA twice in his last 5 seasons. So it took Wes 10 seasons to do what Brannen did in his first 4, and Brannen had a harder path.

In Brannen's first season here he won the conf championship and was headed to the NCAA tourny. Second season while a struggle they made it to the conference tournament. That all happened while Covid hit which made his circumstances that much more difficult. I think he handled the Covid situation poorly which probably ultimately led to his demise here, but the guy could coach. I've yet to see much coaching from Wes. Last nights embarrassing loss after the embarrassing last play reflects that.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote