Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #11
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I agree with pretty much all of this, except I'm inclined to put DDJ/Saunders as options 1 and 2. Saunders/DDJ (and Davenport, but he's not going anywhere) are the guys potentially coming back who don't fit the size/length Miller wants to have. Saunders can make up for it with speed and on ball defense, but thus far he hasn't.

McGinnis is a complete unknown, is he on the bench purely for play reasons? Is it injury related? There's been some (unconfirmed) speculation elsewhere that he may be going for a medical redshirt. I'll trust Miller on whatever he does with McGinnis. It seems unlikely that he'd transfer again and sit out a year.

I'd also be concerned about Vik, more so because of the Russia/Ukraine situation. If he goes home will he make it back (even if he wants to)? Will he go home? But I definitely want him to be here next year.
I'd be on board with all of this.

McGinnis is an interesting case. He played 15 mpg and scored 6 ppg on 34% 3 pt shooting (4.4 attempts per game) for a 21-win team/13 seed in last year's NCAA tournament - as a true freshman.

I don't think he gets all-out benched because it's been decided that he's just not good enough to warrant playing time on a bottom-half AAC team. The medical redshirt rumor makes sense.

Maybe he decided early in the season that he wasn't happy with his role and there was a mutual agreement to go for the medical redshirt so he'd be able to transfer and gain immediate eligibility next season (if that is even possible).
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:20 PM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I agree with pretty much all of this, except I'm inclined to put DDJ/Saunders as options 1 and 2. Saunders/DDJ (and Davenport, but he's not going anywhere) are the guys potentially coming back who don't fit the size/length Miller wants to have. Saunders can make up for it with speed and on ball defense, but thus far he hasn't.

McGinnis is a complete unknown, is he on the bench purely for play reasons? Is it injury related? There's been some (unconfirmed) speculation elsewhere that he may be going for a medical redshirt. I'll trust Miller on whatever he does with McGinnis. It seems unlikely that he'd transfer again and sit out a year.

I'd also be concerned about Vik, more so because of the Russia/Ukraine situation. If he goes home will he make it back (even if he wants to)? Will he go home? But I definitely want him to be here next year.
I don't know about the Saunders AND DDJ thing. MAW can't play 40 minutes at PG and we are recruiting heavily a 5'10" guy with the expectation we will be getting longer at other positions. So a small PG can work when you have about 3-4 wings with size and reach. I guess we could grab a taller PG from the portal if it happened.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote