Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2022, 11:29 AM   #171
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Why are we comparing Ezikpe to Davenport? They are completely different players. I was pointing out that if Ody can play the 4 it might push Davenport to the 3 or bench. We all know Davenport is a tweener who isn't quick enough for the 3 and too weak for the 4. But we want his shooting on the floor. Regardless of what Chad says, I think we can move him around depending on who else we bring in. If we can't land any quality guards, it might make sense to go big. I'd rather do that than start MAW again. On a good team Davenport is a bench player.
Rather have JD and MAW on bench. We need last two spots go above rim PG and wing. Gaines would've been perfect fit at PG, Wes wanted keep all scholarships open for next year. He's out his rabbit mind if think we're going win in Big12 with team full of FR and SO.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:02 PM   #172
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Rather have JD and MAW on bench. We need last two spots go above rim PG and wing. Gaines would've been perfect fit at PG, Wes wanted keep all scholarships open for next year. He's out his rabbit mind if think we're going win in Big12 with team full of FR and SO.
Right, keeping a spot open for Collier doesn't mean we have to have zero PG on the roster. We can bring in a multi-year guy especially if he's a combo guard.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:29 PM   #173
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
The long term goal is to compete for Big 12. We would like it to be year 1 but year 2 or 3 is fine if we can make it happen that way. We aren’t even competing for AAC right now. Let’s keep things in perspective.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #174
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The long term goal is to compete for Big 12. We would like it to be year 1 but year 2 or 3 is fine if we can make it happen that way. We aren’t even competing for AAC right now. Let’s keep things in perspective.
In specific case of Gaines, you don't pass up on him now for chance at Collier two years from now. If we're going all in on freshman PG, he needs established JR/SR around him. Not to mention at this point Gaines is better than Collier, Rayvon, Skillings, and Reed. You take the best guys now and worry about hurting feelings later.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #175
TheRealMick
Elite Member

And here where we would've had upper hand. Collier and Gaines workout together with same trainer. We couldn't been more blessed with that situation.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #176
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Went to Rayvon IG this morning. First thing I noticed he had 513 under bio.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:04 PM   #177
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Rob Phinisee has committed. I'd add more, but I'm not particularly excited.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:35 PM   #178
Lefty

Lefty is on a distinguished road
Yep, a bit disappointed as well but guess I’m
not suprised.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:08 PM   #179
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
A little more on Phinisee, he's really bad at shooting. Worse than MAW bad. His assist and TO rates are also worse than MAW's. He is supposed to be an excellent defender - though EvanMiya gives reason to think he might just be very good - and has good rebound, steal and block rates for his size (better than MAW is all three categories), his foul rate is pretty high for a guard though.

His best shooting percentage on far 2's in his career (4 seasons) is .260%, his best shooting percentage from 3 is .33% and he's a career .290% 3 pt shooter. A lingering injury is claimed to have effected him last year, but I see no reason to believe it effected his shooting. He's a really bad shooter no matter what season you look at.

The only glimmer of hope on offense is his close 2 rate has only been bad 2 out of 4 years and has been closer to average the other 2. He may be a little better at finishing at the rim than MAW. Though I imagine it's hard for him to get there when there's no reason to respect his shot from beyond 10 ft.

I'd rate him as an wash for Saunders based on Saunders last season, however Saunders had a lot more potential to improve. This year I think Saunders would have been (and probably will be at Utah) a better player. So a downgrade vs Saunders for next year. Hopefully we add a better third transfer, or Skillngs/Reed manage to contribute quickly at the wing next year.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:15 PM   #180
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Phinisee and MAW sharing PG duties means we need to get more offense from the 3 and 5 positions. And we're going to be very small at just about every position. Hopefully Phinisee lives up to his defensive reputation and can do a better job of penetrating than our MAW/Saunders pairing last year.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote