Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
This my preseason starting 5

Ddj
Nolley
Hensley
Davenport
Vik
Miller has emphasized two things he wants to see us improve at this season. One is getting longer and more athletic, he felt we were often outmatched physically last season, maybe not at every position but as a team overall.

The second is have more options and getting better on offense.

There are 4 guys who are probably going to be liabilities on defense and/or outmatched physically at their position, but perhaps also our best offensive players. Those are DDJ, Nolley, Davenport and Ezikpe. Nolley is perhaps the most debatable, but look at his EvanMiya defense numbers, his rebounding numbers and rumors from practice that his defense needs work, all together it doesn't paint a great picture.

There are plenty of options when it comes to increasing length/athleticism, but will any of them also bring offense? That's the big question. In that group I see four who seem most primed for a breakout.

Ody - has been kind of dismissed, but he was our best offensive big man last year (also the worst on defense). He has the physical skills to be much better on defense than he was last year and if he can do that, he will push to start.

Hensley - if his three point shooting really has improved he will push to start. We don't have a lot of three point shooting, combine that with his ability to guard multiple positions and he should get plenty of minutes. Even if all he brings on offense is shooting (he did start showing some ability to pass and get to the basket late season as he got more comfortable).

Vik - no more needs to be said about him.

MAW - perhaps? He has shown flashes on offense.

The rest are either too young/unknown to say expect much from at this point (Skillings, Reed, Sage) or very good/elite defenders unlikely to bring much offense (Newman, Phinisee).

The other big question is if DDJ will play PG, if he does it helps us get more size onto the court.

Given how much we struggled last year with DDJ/Davenport being physically outmatched. I find it hard to see how we can start another defensive liability with them, unless perhaps if DDJ moves to PG. DDJ's offensive game also doesn't need a lot of help, he's better at breaking guys down 1v1 than he is at team offense.

With all that said my pre-season starters prediction is:
1. MAW
2. DDJ
3. Hensley
4. Davenport
5. Vik

I think Nolley will tend to rotate with Davenport/DDJ, that way we generally max out at two defensive liabilities on the court at once. Davenport is probably better to play with DDJ to help spread the court, whereas Nolley will probably be more of a ball handler (even though he is only good at shooting when he's taking spot-up shots).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #293
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Phinisee
DDJ
Nolley
Davenport
Ezikpe

This is solely my prediction for what I think we'll see in Game 1. Wes will value experience before all else.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:08 AM   #294
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Phinisee
DDJ
Nolley
Davenport
Ezikpe

This is solely my prediction for what I think we'll see in Game 1. Wes will value experience before all else.
What I think vs what I would like to see. The 2nd one is a better defensive team by adding Newman's length (and rebounding) and we don't lose any scoring really.

MAW
DDJ
Nolley
JD
Vik

DDJ
Newman
Nolley
JD
Vik
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #295
waterhead
Senior Moderator

3-4-5 deep in no particular order

5. Vik, Ody, Kalu, Sage
4. JD, Kalu, Hensley, Reed
3. Nolley, Newman, (Hensley, Reed, and/or Skillings)
2. DDJ, Newman, Skillings, MAW
1. MAW, Rob, DDJ

My biggest question marks are will DDJ realize at some point the team will be best with him at the 1 both offensively and defensively? Also who will be the best player between Hensley, Reed and Skillings to pick up some remaining scraps at the 2, 3 and 4?
Old 08-25-2022, 11:47 AM   #296
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
DDJ
Newman
Nolley
JD
Vik
This is what I want to see too, with Nolley playing a point forward role.

I'll need to see Ezikpe and the freshmen play before forming a strong opinion on the 5 and the depth chart.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 01:10 PM   #297
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
This is what I want to see too, with Nolley playing a point forward role.

I'll need to see Ezikpe and the freshmen play before forming a strong opinion on the 5 and the depth chart.
I'll take DDJ or Nolley point forward as well. Even if for just spurts in games. Hard to think Wes grabbed Kalu without seeing a good fit for him even as an X-factor versatile big type. I can see Kalu as backup 4 or 3rd in line at the 5. That should give him plenty of quality minutes (15-20) if and when foul trouble mounts at the 5. I agree on the frosh....have to wait and see.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:10 PM   #298
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Nice to read some news on the team after practices are finally underway.

Of course coach is going to praise guys and be positive. But it's exciting to hear about people getting healthier and in better shape.

Newman says he's had the best summer since in college. That could be a good sign.

Davenport is taking leadership seriously. Hope his enthusiasm carries over to others.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:57 AM   #299
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Jizzle James supposed commit tomorrow. High level 4*
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:58 PM   #300
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote: