Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
UD Recruit Arrested...again

Jesse Berry, a University of Dayton basketball recruit, was arrested for battery resulting in bodily harm, according to the police records in Sunday’s edition of the Lafayette (Ind.) Courier & Journal. It’s Berry’s second arrest this school year.

The Lafayette Jefferson High School star has not been charged yet for the incident because Tippecanoe County prosecutors are still investigating the altercation. Berry was arrested in the fall for shoplifting and entered a diversion program for nonviolent offenders.

Berry, 18, who has been living on his own in an apartment for several months, said he tried to break up a fight between his girlfriend and ex-girlfriend at his residence.

He said the ex-girlfriend “got beat up pretty bad. She got really mad. That’s what happened. After I broke it up, she had a scar all over. (The police) told me they had to arrest me because of the scar. Everybody’s story was, ‘Jesse didn’t touch her, Jesse just broke it up.’ But we both got arrested.”

As for the shoplifting charge, Berry said he was caught stealing an iPhone case.

“I’m just really embarrassed,” he said. “When I walked around school, I used to think, ‘I’m Jesse Berry. I’m the man around here.’ Now when I walk around here, I don’t know what people are thinking.

“It was just something stupid. We all make bad decisions.”

Berry averaged 23.2 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.0 steals for Lafayette Jeff this season. He shot 46.8 percent from the field, 35.1 percent on 3-pointers and 79.5 percent on foul shots.

The latest arrest cost Berry a spot on the Courier & Journal’s all-area team because of off-court issues, according to Jim Stafford, the newspaper’s sports editor. “He would have been our player of the year, hands down,” Stafford said.

UD coach Brian Gregory didn’t return a phone message seeking comment. Berry said he has been in contact with his future coach.

://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/university-of-dayton-flyers/ud-basketball-recruit-arrested-for-2nd-time-651373.html
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Cincinnati recruited and offered Berry.

If he is released, I'd like us to extend an offer. He is a good shooter.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Typically right there with you but not here. Too many questions with this kid. How has he been living on his own for several months as a senior in high school. Too many bad decisions. Don't need it. Won't surprise me if Dayton releases him. Burton! Burton! Burton!
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Typically right there with you but not here. Too many questions with this kid. How has he been living on his own for several months as a senior in high school. Too many bad decisions. Don't need it. Won't surprise me if Dayton releases him. Burton! Burton! Burton!
I'm with you on this.

Dayton won't release him. Brian Gregory has already contacted Berry and demanded he move to Dayton immediately after graduation.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post
I'm with you on this.

Dayton won't release him. Brian Gregory has already contacted Berry and demanded he move to Dayton immediately after graduation.
If he ends up in the wrong area there he'll just be in trouble again. If troubles in you, you'll draw it to you.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Cincinnati recruited and offered Berry.

If he is released, I'd like us to extend an offer. He is a good shooter.
You seriously want UC to go after a guy who now has been arrested twice because he is a good shooter?
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
You seriously want UC to go after a guy who now has been arrested twice because he is a good shooter?
I think these charges will be dropped.

He was picked up for shoplifting an Iphone or Ipod.

He was breaking up a fight between some women.

But yes, I would want UC to consider pursuing him should he be released..........which he won't.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
adrock
Elite Member

adrock has a spectacular aura aboutadrock has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
An IPhone case, I think. So even less severe.

On a related note, the standard we hold these seniors in high school to is unreal. Most of us as kids stole stuff, smoked some weed, drank, or tried to bang everything that moved. It's not necessarily right, but it's not abnormal teenager behavior. But if a recruit gets caught smoking a joint it's the end of the world.
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock View Post
An IPhone case, I think. So even less severe.
Less severe or even more stupid? If it doesn't cost much than why not just buy it instead of stealing it and putting yourself at risk? Seems like pure stupidity to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock View Post
On a related note, the standard we hold these seniors in high school to is unreal. Most of us as kids stole stuff, smoked some weed, drank, or tried to bang everything that moved. It's not necessarily right, but it's not abnormal teenager behavior. But if a recruit gets caught smoking a joint it's the end of the world.
How dare us hold these high schoolers (how old is Berry, probably 18?) to such high standards as not shoplifting and breaking the law.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
I think these charges will be dropped.

He was breaking up a fight between some women.

But yes, I would want UC to consider pursuing him should he be released..........which he won't.
Well I'm not against UC considering to pursue him, but you said extend an offer. There is nothing wrong with pursuing a kid and see how everything plays out, but no way would I extend the offer right after a shoplifting charge.