Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #501
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Am I the only one who doesn't mind Cobb shooting a pull up 3 in transition? Mick has talked about getting him as many looks as possible...well, he's not a big guy so I'll take a clean look from our leading scorer and 46% 3 pt shooter anytime we can get it.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #502
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Rather then draw contact he avoids it and the shot becomes more difficult and he comes up empty.
This is a team wide problem at times. We fade away or twist our bodies around trying to avoid getting blocked instead of just going up strong. It's sad to watch DeBerry fade away in the low post. Go up strong big fella, who can stop you.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #503
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't mind Cobb shooting a pull up 3 in transition? Mick has talked about getting him as many looks as possible...well, he's not a big guy so I'll take a clean look from our leading scorer and 46% 3 pt shooter anytime we can get it.
Pass it get set then get pass right back
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #504
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Guys basketball is changing on all levels. Once upon a time big guys were all the rage. Couldn't win without a dominate big. Now with both college and professional using match up zones perimeter shooting players are what is working. Bigs have to rebound, protect the rim and be able to pass out of double teams to the open wings. Their offense is set up on pick and roll opportunities. Heck many more bigs can hit shots from the perimeter. Kevin Love. Back to the basket post play is becoming obsolete. Half court sets are about spreading the floor, dribble penetrate and find the knockdown shooter. The game is being won on the perimeter now. Teams are developing defense to disguise were the double comes from making it tough to run your offense through the post players. Drawing the defense and finding the open wing is what is working now. It is why Evans needs to see the floor more. It is why to some extent I agree with those who are critical of TC at times. Troy is a very good player but what he struggles with is pressuring the defense to create opportunities. It's this element that fuels the TC versus Jenifer debate.On this team he is the best option because he takes care of the ball but he does leave a bunch of meat on the bone as far as offensive creator. I'm not casting all the blame on TC for his lack of creativity. At times the handles of other players he passes to are terrible. I guess if I could build a perfect PG it would be TC with his size,maturity and shot with the quickness and vision of Jenifer.
Yes, Waite. I agree Troy is solid but doesnt put enough pressure on the D. I agree with bulldog as a PG it would be nice to help others get some easy points. JJ was supposed to be that guy , but as of now
He still needs to grow. I hope he can be a reliable player soon. Also I hope Mick can determine which people to play and when. He's never had a solid 7 guys before. If he can figure that out we could still go E-8. Still not sure why they didn't just put the ball in Jacob's hands, spread the floor, and stretch the lead with free throws.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #505
ZCat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
Here's a conundrum. We're down 62-60 with the ball, Shaq takes a wide open 3 pointer that misses badly. My first thought is "how can a Senior take such a low percentage shot when they've been so effective at the rim"? Then a couple possessions later, DeBerry takes and makes a shot at the top of the key.

Upon further review, I don't have a problem with Shaq taking that shot. He's capable of making it and you have to have players that are both capable and unafraid of taking that shot. Xavier played pack-line defense. Iowa State had fallen back into the same kind of thing. Is he better at the rim? Sure. But I liked the fact that all our players felt free enough to take the shot when it was the best option. We're good enough rebounding wise to corral a high percentage of the misses.
No way he should shoot that shot. The same for Deberry, Clark. They're going to make some, but stick to high percentage shots and plays, you win the game. It's as simple as that
Old 12-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #506
ZCat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
DeBerry's shot was completely different. He was wide open and set. DeBerry has always has a decent looking stroke for a big guy.

Shaq's shot was bad because it was off the bounce when he had a clear driving lane against a guy he had just taken to the rim the possession before. He settled for a really bad 3. Those aren't the ones we want him taking if he's taking 3s.
I agree. He he made his way to the rim just before that. We did several low percentage plays for absolutely no reason. The defense just smiles.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #507
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
Pass it get set then get pass right back
He only does it when he's ahead of all of our guys though. Idk about turning to pass it backwards, especially if he's 1 on 2 or more, bc then the defense has time to man up.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #508
ZCat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Moving forward solving/helping the TO problem. You have roughly four groups...these are rough averages to make categories

Group A...1.5 per 40 minutes (Caupain, Evans)
Group B...2.0 per 40 minutes (Clark, Cobb, DeBerry)
Group C...2.5 per 40 minutes (Thomas)
Group D...3.5 plus (Ellis is near 4, Moore 5, Jenifer 3.5, and KJ is close to 5 in his last 6 games)

OK so Jenifer and Moore aren't getting many minutes in big games so we really don't need to adjust their minutes.

We need to give as many minutes as we can to group A and B and less from group D. It's time for Evans and DeBerry to play more.
Yes,yes yes. Go to the high probability shots, passes, lineup. Don't pass it to Ellis where u know it is 50% chance of a turnover. Don't throw INTO double teams. Keep it simple.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #509
westsidecat
Banned

westsidecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Reading the ISU message boards. They are really, really down on the team. Obviously they've been overrated in the polls. Without Naz Long they really only played 6 guys last night. I'm expecting us to win the game.
So. in your own words, UC can't beat an overrated team, at home, who only plays 6 guys?

The genius on full display..
westsidecat is offline   Reply With Quote