Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Undefeated SMU @ Moody

Alright big opportunity here Thursday at 7 on espn, to get a huge win on the road against one of the top teams in the country. SMU comes in as one of three undefeated teams left in college hoops at 13-0 they will likely be somewhere in the top 15 Monday (would be top 10 if voters would stop using their sanction against them). There best win is against a very solid Colorado team they also destroyed Michigan (although I think UM blows). Very well coached diciplined team on both ends of the floor. Offesively they are very efficient averaging close to 83 ppg shooting over 50% from the field and average 19 assists (which is 9th nationally) on the othe other side they only give up around 62 ppg. They are a veteran team led by senior pg nic Moore other players to look out for would be 6-7 senior jordan Tolbert who averages a double double (12 and 10) Ben Moore and and standout freshman shake Milton who scares me because he shoots 48% from three...our advantage lies in the fact that with keith Frazier recently leaving the team they only go 7 deep so we need to get them in foul trouble by attacking the rim. Very small loud gym (brutal to play in) but we are experienced having won here last year, but it will be rocking. Guard play will be crucial cannot afford turnovers against these guys and by no means can down early on these guys at there place and try to claw back. Need big games from Troy and Cobb would like to see Cobb get close to 30 minutes. Gary vs Tolbert will be a fun match up at times, and Evans needs to play confident we need him. Can't wait! Think we put it all together and realize our potential and this kick starts a huge run for the cats!

Last edited by Bearcat Rob; 01-03-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Last year was the jermainle sanders game at moody man had the game of his career
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Milton go post up in corner all game. Teams have us scouted and know corner 3 theirs for taking
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure why everyone thinks teams that play a small rotation of players is somehow a bad thing. A lot of very good teams play small rotations and they do it because they have 7 or 8 players who are all very good. It wasn't until recently with Calipari that playing these types of platoons became a thing but it really only worked for him because he legit had 10 NBA players on his team.

Most very good teams rely on a small rotation of players. SMU has more than 7 guys on their roster, but they only play 7 because all 7 are very good. I'm willing to bet the other guys on the bench who don't play much bring just as much value as Jenifer or Quadri do.

These kids are 20 years old, they can handle playing a high number of minutes.

Last edited by UCBearcats; 01-04-2016 at 09:24 AM.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
The above being said I think the Bearcats need a big win here and this team always finds a way to lose some games you'd never think they would (see Temple) and win a few you don't think they should.

Not sure how we get it done but I think UC comes away with a big win and temporarily rights the ship. We'll be right back on course for our usual 8-10 seed and a first weekend exit in the NCAA's.

UC - 77

SMU - 73
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
I'm not sure why everyone thinks teams that play a small rotation of players is somehow a bad thing. A lot of very good teams play small rotations and they do it because they have 7 or 8 players who are all very good. It wasn't until recently with Coach K that playing these types of platoons because a thing but it really only worked for him because he legit had 10 NBA players on his team.

Most very good teams rely on a small rotation of players. SMU has more than 7 guys on their roster, but they only play 7 because all 7 are very good. I'm willing to bet the other guys on the bench who don't play much bring just as much value as Jenifer or Quadri do.

These kids are 20 years old, they can handle playing a high number of minutes.
They play 7 players who are ALL very good. We don't have that. Our 7th guy is Kevin Johnson.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
HoosierCat
Elite Member

HoosierCat is on a distinguished road
The optimism is just overflowing in this thread.
HoosierCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
They play 7 players who are ALL very good. We don't have that. Our 7th guy is Kevin Johnson.
I tend to think of KJ as the 8th man now. I think Deberry is a great sub for the bigs. I also think Evans is a great sub for Thomas and Cobb.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierCat View Post
The optimism is just overflowing in this thread.
UC 66
SMU 65
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #10
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
It's going to be a struggle. I'd say our 2 weakest parts of our team right now are 3-point shot defense and giving up offensive rebounds. SMU ranks 8th in 3-point shooting % and 2nd in offensive rebound %, rebounding an insane 44% of their misses.

Their worst 3 point shooter is at 35%. They have guys at 41.7, 47.9, and 64.7 (17 attempts).

Their defense doesn't seem as good as it has been in the past. Hopefully they have an off shooting night and we can play efficient offense.

This one could (probably will) be an eye bleeder.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote