Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
#4 Notre Dame Round 2

What a great spot to be in. I love this type of game. Everything to gain and nothing to lose. This is where it benefits to be in the Big East. While some teams can really only hurt their position we have a great opportunity to significantly improve our NCAA tournament seed.

We played so poorly in the first half last time we played them and they got a shit ton of calls. We are a different team that ND saw last time. A win would put us in a 4 seed discussion IMO.

We would have wins verse:

- Nd, St. Johns, Louisville, Gtown 2x, Marquette and Xavier

That would be a very impressive 6 RPI top 25 wins and a couple other really solid wins.

We need to press the shit out of ND. They really struggled verse St. Johns when they pushed the defensive tempo.

I really like our matchup.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
I believe UC is a 6 seed at this point.

I think a win over ND puts us on the #5 line. I think we need to do more to move up to a #4...like make it to the Big East Final.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
ohioubearcat

ohioubearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I believe UC is a 6 seed at this point.

I think a win over ND puts us on the #5 line. I think we need to do more to move up to a #4...like make it to the Big East Final.
This notion that we are a 6 seed is really frustrating me. There is no reason why we should not be a 5 seed looking to get a 4 seed with a win tonight. The way we are playing right now a 6 seed would not do this team justice.

No bad losses the entire year with 5 top 25 wins....IMO that does not warrant a 6 seed.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioubearcat View Post
This notion that we are a 6 seed is really frustrating me. There is no reason why we should not be a 5 seed looking to get a 4 seed with a win tonight. The way we are playing right now a 6 seed would not do this team justice.

No bad losses the entire year with 5 top 25 wins....IMO that does not warrant a 6 seed.
Well, that's where I think UC will be placed at this point. And the number of Big East teams in the tournament could mean a team gets bumped a seed line in order to meets the other rules of the bracket.

UC has a ton of good wins. But, looking at the Top 6 seeds in the Big East tournament, UC was 2-5 against them.

I think the WVU loss last night could help UC move up to a 5 seed (taking what WVU may have had). Who knows though, all guess work.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Well, that's where I think UC will be placed at this point. And the number of Big East teams in the tournament could mean a team gets bumped a seed line in order to meets the other rules of the bracket.

UC has a ton of good wins. But, looking at the Top 6 seeds in the Big East tournament, UC was 2-5 against them.

I think the WVU loss last night could help UC move up to a 5 seed (taking what WVU may have had). Who knows though, all guess work.
I have seen a couple of projected #5 seeds that dont have any top 25 wins and have a couple of bad losses. One that we actually might have beaten by 20......
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
babcat

babcat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to babcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
I have seen a couple of projected #5 seeds that dont have any top 25 wins and have a couple of bad losses. One that we actually might have beaten by 20......
I've seen a scenario where Xavier is a 7 seed playing Marquette as a 10 seed. I find this extremely intriguing. Let's see how strong the A-10 really is against one of the BEast's lower teams.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
ohioubearcat

ohioubearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I wasn't trying to say you were wrong with saying they are a 6 seed....I also agree that's prob where they would be put at this time. I just dont see how it is warranted. A 5 seed should theoretically mean that you consider them a top 20 team, which with their resume I think would be justified. Unfortunately I think most people are discrediting our wins against gtown bc they didn't have c. wright.

If we can win tonight....that should certainly open the selection committee's eyes! Go CATS
Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
ucswais

ucswais is on a distinguished road
As a fan, I'm way less interested in the seeding right now than the possibility to win the BE tournament. I'll give my take anyway.

It's going to be hard for UC to be a 5 seed because they normally seed 1-4 first. When they do that, I have a feeling that Syracuse, StJ, and Louisville will all fall on the 4 line. That essentially means that only 1 BE can realistically be a 5 seed regardless if the next 4 teams are all BE teams as well. At this point, I'd say Uconn or WV has a slight edge over UC for that spot. If its UConn, that pushes WV and UC to 6 seeds.

The WV loss did help though, because if we can beat ND and Uconn loses to Pitt, we still have a chance to leap those teams and get them bumped down instead of us. Also, a deep run by Syracuse or Louisville could move them up off the 4 line.

Or we can just go ahead and win the whole BET and let everybody else scramble for seeds.
ucswais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
UC opens as a 1.5 point underdog.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucswais View Post
As a fan, I'm way less interested in the seeding right now than the possibility to win the BE tournament. I'll give my take anyway.

It's going to be hard for UC to be a 5 seed because they normally seed 1-4 first. When they do that, I have a feeling that Syracuse, StJ, and Louisville will all fall on the 4 line. That essentially means that only 1 BE can realistically be a 5 seed regardless if the next 4 teams are all BE teams as well. At this point, I'd say Uconn or WV has a slight edge over UC for that spot. If its UConn, that pushes WV and UC to 6 seeds.

The WV loss did help though, because if we can beat ND and Uconn loses to Pitt, we still have a chance to leap those teams and get them bumped down instead of us. Also, a deep run by Syracuse or Louisville could move them up off the 4 line.

Or we can just go ahead and win the whole BET and let everybody else scramble for seeds.
IMO, if Syracuse wins today against the Johnnies they assure themselves at least a #3 seed.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote